REMINDER: CHECK YOUR ELECTRICAL CORDS!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinysMom

Reaction score
This just came through on the lionhead list -although the folks are not lionhead breeders.

Folks - as the weather is changing and some folks in hotter climatesare starting to plug in fans, etc - PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE check yourcords!

Peg

~~~

Shane & Sarah Maki and their three boys, Eli, Zander andRiley,(DTL Rabbitry,http://blueoakrabbitry.tripod. com/index. html) lost theirrabbitry and most of their rabbits to a fire on Sunday. Eliand Zander raise Holland Lops and Riley raises NetherlandDwarfs. Sarah raises Fuzzy Lops and Jersey Woolies, but lostall of her Fuzzy Lops and quite a few of her Jersey Woolies.The boys have current rankings of 13th place national quality points,5th place zone 2 quality points and 6th place open herdsman. On Sunday, they thought they had lost all the rabbits from the waythings were looking.Monday, things looked a littlebetter, for there were quite a few rabbits that were still alive,damage ranging from being singed to having burnt skin. Theysaid they were eating and drinking, so perhaps they would pullthrough. They were medicating them and all seemed to be ok,even though they had lost quite a few rabbits. Now, 2 dayslater, Shane has estimated the loss at approximately 50%, with morethat look as though they will die or have tobe putdown.Now there are a lot of the live rabbits thatare starting to go off feed, blowing a "tar" like snot (probably fromdamaged lungs), and the loss will be even greater when all is said anddone. Every one of their "show string" rabbits were lost, sothey had to cancel showing at theCalifornia State Conventionshow. All of their up and coming juniors werelost.The year old barn was a total loss.And of course, all the little things that they had in the barn werelost, their scales, grooming table, tatoo kit, all their feed, hay,etc. Many of the stacker are salvagable, but many are not. At this point, they are only hoping that enough of therabbits will make it so they can start over again.Financially, this was a devastating fire. They do not havethe money to replace the water bottles or plastic trays that melted,nor the stackers that were ruined, and all the little things, scales,grooming table, etc.

I can't beleive it they must be devastated, howhorible for them i hope some of the buns survive for them icouldn't imagine that happening its terrible was it you that mentionedin one of your posts about someone you knewhad asimilarthing happen?You forget about all the otherthings that you store in with the bunnies too

Every breeders nightmare. I cannot even fathomhow they must feel right now. I know if anything like that happened tome, I would be done. There is no way I could come clse to affording tostart over, even if I could bring myself to do it. Is there anypossibility that people in the rabbit comuunity will be helping themget back started? I would be willing to send them some supplies.

I have an email addy for paypal donations...Idon't know about mailing them supplies. You can PM me if you want toknow about the paypal though.

I'm guessing that the rabbit community is already doing a lot to help them out..

Peg

Oh, that's horrible!! :(

I wish I could lend some money to help them out...we're so close to being able to do things like that...:(

My love and prayers for them and their surviving bunnies...

Rosie*

Latest posts

Back