releasing un tame rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishbunny

Reaction score
I'm looking for advice on realeasing rabbits into my garden/area. My uncle has rabbits he used to keep in an enclosure and he realeased them into his garden, they breed and have babies but they stick around his home. I was thinking about getting some from him and releasing them. The only threat are foxes but my dog usually keeps them away. Would they stay around? Would I have to keep them in a pen and then release them to keep them around? There are no rabbits in my area.

The only responsible way I can see to 'release' rabbits would be to have a fully rabbit proof (so nothing could get in, and they couldn't find a way out, and there was nothing harmful to them in the area, i.e. some plants) garden. If you don't have that, then I personally think it would be pretty ignorant and unfair to those rabbits. They are used to being domesticated rabbits, and thats what they should be.

Flashy wrote:
The only responsible way I can see to 'release' rabbits would be to have a fully rabbit proof (so nothing could get in, and they couldn't find a way out, and there was nothing harmful to them in the area, i.e. some plants) garden. If you don't have that, then I personally think it would be pretty ignorant and unfair to those rabbits. They are used to being domesticated rabbits, and thats what they should be.

I agree with Flashy.

If here aren't any rabbits in your area, that's how it obviously should be. That's why there aren't any there. They obviously can't survive in the type of condition or whatever. I just personally wouldn't do it. You may regret it later on when you have hundreds of bunnies and get in trouble, etc.

Emily

Flashy wrote:
They aren't domestic though...he realeased them two years ago, by semi-tame I mean they don't run when they see you but you can't get close to them or anything. They aren't pets, they'd never be able to be kept in a cage it would be like taking a wild rabbit and shoving it in a cage. These rabbits make burrows and everything. So how is it ignorant and unfair? I would never realease a rabbit that's a pet like my bunnies, I'd consider that ignorant and unfair

BlueSkyAcresRabbitry wrote:
Flashy wrote:

I agree with Flashy.

If here aren't any rabbits in your area, that's how it obviously should be. That's why there aren't any there. They obviously can't survive in the type of condition or whatever. I just personally wouldn't do it. You may regret it later on when you have hundreds of bunnies and get in trouble, etc.

Emily
There's no rabbits because people hunted them all with dogs but that's banned now and other neighbours are hoping to repopulate.

Well, you didn't make that clear, however I still think that if a bun has been in captivity, unless it has been raised and taught the skills that are needed to survive, then I don't see how you would have happy, healthy buns. I completely agree with Emily too in that if there are not rabbits there, there is a reason for it, and that is probably predators, or illness.

We have some semi wild buns in our RSPCA centre and they could never be released into the wild because they are too dependent on people. I also have a foster who was found wild, and if I released him now, after him being with me for months, he would have lost his natural instincts.

You would be responsible for those buns so would have to take care of all their vet needs, which could be very hard financially and also pshycially if you have to catch them.

a lot of the rabbits and squirrels in my area are what i'd consider "semit-tame". they are wild buns....born in the wild and raised in the wild however the old ladies in my apt complex feed them soooo......they literally will come right over to you and even let you pet them. but it's only b/c they are getting so much attention from the old people. i think what irish bunny means is by taking some buns like mine that are tame-wild and transplanting them. if there wasn't an ocean between us irish bunny i'd gladly give you some buns from my yard. they are very overpopulated here. i'm sure some of them would love to go to a place where they weren't all scrounging for food. and once they realize that you feed them they'll keep coming. it sounds like the buns in your area became extincted due to overhunting. so you'd be doing more like preservation work---gettting them back in the wild. and since at one time their were tons in your area they were obviously meant to be there. we do the same thing on Long Island, NY with the bird population. certain birds are becomming extinct so we set up areas in the wild to bring them back. i think the idea is cool.

And what would these bunnies eat?

Sure, they're not tame, but they're still not actual wild rabbits. Domestic rabbits are a whole different species away from wild rabbits - hence why wild rabbits and domestic rabbits can't breed together (well they can, but no babies will result).

What happens if these rabbits get a life-threatening illness and pass it on to your rabbits? Are you prepared to take them to the vet? What if one of the rabbits breeds with your rabbits?

There are so many risks, even though the rabbits aren't actually wild. I have cottontails where I live, and I'm even cautious about them. Yes, they're cute. But with more rabbits, you have the greater chance of disease spread, etc.

Emily

Flashy wrote:
Well, you didn't make that clear, however I still think that if a bun has been in captivity, unless it has been raised and taught the skills that are needed to survive, then I don't see how you would have happy, healthy buns. I completely agree with Emily too in that if there are not rabbits there, there is a reason for it, and that is probably predators, or illness.

We have some semi wild buns in our RSPCA centre and they could never be released into the wild because they are too dependent on people. I also have a foster who was found wild, and if I released him now, after him being with me for months, he would have lost his natural instincts.

You would be responsible for those buns so would have to take care of all their vet needs, which could be very hard financially and also pshycially if you have to catch them.
The bunnies I'd be getting parent's would have been born wild. So they know how to survive, like I said before there are none because they were wiped out by hunters. Of course I'd be taking care of them, I'd be actually saving some of them because my uncle eats some of them. My uncle is really into nature and is a wildlife ranger and he thinks it's a good idea, I didn't get a chance to ask him much about it though. It would never get to hundreds of rabbits because we have foxes. How would I get them to stick around?

purplepeacock wrote:
it sounds like the buns in your area became extincted due to overhunting. so you'd be doing more like preservation work---gettting them back in the wild. and since at one time their were tons in your area they were obviously meant to be there.

I dont find that preservation work involves taking domestic rabbits and releasing them. Relocate actual wild rabbits, that's preservation.

Emily

purplepeacock wrote:
a lot of the rabbits and squirrels in my area are what i'd consider "semit-tame". they are wild buns....born in the wild and raised in the wild however the old ladies in my apt complex feed them soooo......they literally will come right over to you and even let you pet them. but it's only b/c they are getting so much attention from the old people. i think what irish bunny means is by taking some buns like mine that are tame-wild and transplanting them. if there wasn't an ocean between us irish bunny i'd gladly give you some buns from my yard. they are very overpopulated here. i'm sure some of them would love to go to a place where they weren't all scrounging for food. and once they realize that you feed them they'll keep coming. it sounds like the buns in your area became extincted due to overhunting. so you'd be doing more like preservation work---gettting them back in the wild. and since at one time their were tons in your area they were obviously meant to be there. we do the same thing on Long Island, NY with the bird population. certain birds are becomming extinct so we set up areas in the wild to bring them back. i think the idea is cool.
That's it exactly! BlueSkysRabbitry- Of course I'd feed them and they'd feed themselves like they do now, my uncle doesn't feed them. Their wild, If I kept them as pets they would die from stress.

irishbunny wrote:
purplepeacock wrote:
That's it exactly! BlueSkysRabbitry- Of course I'd feed them and they'd feed themselves like they do now, my uncle doesn't feed them. Their wild, If I kept them as pets they would die from stress.

I think you're missing my and Flashy's points here.....

Emily

What your uncle is doing and what you are wanting to do is extremely irresponsible. Those "wild" rabbits are the SAME rabbits that your "pet" rabbits are, except those "wild" rabbits are really just not tamed.

Want to release feral bunnies? Put up a very secure fence with a net cover over it, cement the ground way below the fence so the bunnies can't dig out, and SPAY AND NEUTER.

I can't believe anyone would think what your uncle does is "okay".

What happens if these rabbits get a life-threatening illness and pass it on to your rabbits? Are you prepared to take them to the vet? What if one of the rabbits breeds with your rabbits?

Emily
That's what I'm wondering. :?

purplepeacock wrote:
it sounds like the buns in your area became extincted due to overhunting. so you'd be doing more like preservation work---gettting them back in the wild. and since at one time their were tons in your area they were obviously meant to be there.

I dont find that preservation work involves taking domestic rabbits and releasing them. Relocate actual wild rabbits, that's preservation.

Emily
Again, they are not domestic, their grandparents were domestic, and they weren't even tame so my uncle, a wildlife ranger,let them go. Do you suggest I put them in hutches and let them die of stress?

Happi Bun wrote:

Emily
That's what I'm wondering. :?

Exactly. I know i would never run that risk, even if the rabbits in my yard were domestic and had been released. Not only could they pass something along to my rabbits, they could pass it on to other wildlife, and get other diseases that haven't even been found in certain places - such as Myxi.

Emily

irishbunny wrote:
purplepeacock wrote:

Emily
Again, they are not domestic, their grandparents were domestic, and they weren't even tame so my uncle, a wildlife ranger,let them go. Do you suggest I put them in hutches and let them die of stress?
Once again, you're missing my point.

They ARE domestic. Domestic doesn't have to mean tame. It means that they are not the same species as actual wild rabbits! They are still domestic, even if they're feral/not tame.

You don't call feral cats non-domestic, do you? No. Because they're a different species of cat.

Emily

Are rabbits protected in Ireland under abuse laws and such? If so, then something should be done about what your uncle is doing. I'd consider it abuse and dumping of pets, to be honest.

No one has suggested putting them in hutches, that was your suggestion, and you're right, not a good one, but a rabbit safe enclosure/garden/area, would be perfect, or, even a hutch run combo. I am sure that many people would support that becuase that sounds like a very responsible and caring way to help them.

Domestic rabbits, even if the babies are born in the wild, still inherit domestic genes, and whilst essentially they are the same, they have different personalities and different needs from 100% wild rabbits that have been wild for generations.

I don't think releasing rabbits that came from domestic stock is responsible at all. Domesticated rabbits have been bred for years and have had food, water, and protection provided to them by humans. They have lost the instincts of a wild rabbit to get food and water, and to escape from predators. These cute coat colors can make them very easy for predators to find as well. In addition, the rabbits that need to be released to repopulate an area with a species that has been hunted out need to be the exact same type of rabbit that was there earlier, not a domestic rabbit. Also, the task of repopulating an area needs to be carried out by scientists who know what they're doing, not the general public. Releasing rabbits in the way you suggest is just like releasing cats to have a feral cat population. Feral rabbits may be closer to the natural species than feral cats, but they can still cause problems and are much more vulnerable to predators. It sounds like an unhappy life for an animal that is not equipped to handle the stresses of being wild, and possibly a problem (what if this feral population got out of control?) for those who live around. Please do not do this. Domestic animals are meant to be domestic, they have been bred for hundreds of years to live closely with humans. They cannot survive on their own and releasing them will in no way recoup those lost due to overhunting.

Back