Rehoming family friendly large male in RI

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaddox88

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a lovable, family friendly male flemish/chinchilla mix who is in need of a new home. I do this with a heavy heart but I know its whats best. Due to the covid19 situation i had to get a second job and my bun who is used to being free roam and around me most of the day is now stuck home alone shut in his room.
I really want him to go to a good home that is used to buns amd has knowledge about proper care for such a large breed. He has a ton of personality and even knows his name as ive had him since he was 6 weeks. He was born december 26 2017. He is a chunky butt, litter trained, leash trained, and his favorite treat is whole grain Cheerios. He will even eat them out of your hand without biting you. He needs a 1 cup of pellets a day, i usually fill his bowl with a good adult formula brand mixed with some type of hay or grasses at night around 630 7. He will nibble at his leisure. I find it empty around the same time the next day. He also gets a good portion of leafy greens and veggies. He loves cucumber, bell pepper strips cleaned and washed of seed, dandelion greens too. I just grow things in my garden that are listed as safe on rabbit food guides. Its much cheaper and easier than you would think. He gets fruits occasionally but not too much. He has a thing about stealing crackers i dont know why but as soon as he hears you crunch he comes running.
He loves to be pet and get his cheeks and head massaged. His daily brain rub lol. He is used to being brushed but dont press hard especially near his butt. He will run and jump when hes allowed to free roam. I make big blocks for him from empty boxes that he can climb and jump on inside. I use the big foam blocks inside the box and tape them shut so he cant eat it. Its sturdy enough to hold him and he really likes it. Once he gets used to the noise outside he will run and hop on the leash. I have a good sized harness you can have. He does need a dog one. Last weighed in about 14 pounds. He drinks A TON of water. We use a bowl with a tank attached. The more humid it is the more he will drink.
Im not asking for a fee just someone who will love him as much as i do. As you can tell from my rambling i am very very attached, it really breaks my heart to see him go. He likes kids as long as they dont pick him up. He does not enjoy being picked up but will tolerate if he trusts you eapecially when hes outside and wants to feel safe. But do becareful, at his size if he is dropped or falls from high enough he could break his back.
Hes used to cats but does not like dogs and has tried to fight a dog much bigger than him. His back feet a larger than they appear and he kicked this dog full in the face just for sniffing through the bars of our porch. He is not a biter unless absolutely frightened and has only ever bit a person once who was a stranger that just grabbed him from behind by his legs. Other than that instance i have never been bit or anyone in my family. He is not neutered and does pretty well. Ive never seen him spray or be aggressive. He also likes riding in the car and will try to put his head out like a dog if youre holding him. Keep the harness on him at all times when outside. I always hook the leashes to a strap around my wrist so even if i need my hands he cant get away.
I think i rambled enough. Hopefully theres someone on here who will read all of this lol.

I live in RI, and I probably won't be able to take him, but I'll ask my friend who owns rabbits and some others!

Edit: I have a rabbit and one dog, but my rabbit has his own room so my dog never sees him, but I'm going to ask my friend anyways

Could you not get him a girlfriend if your main worry is that he's alone all day? I would always recommend rehoming through a rescue centre. They will find a suitable home and hopefully bond him with a friend first.
Not many near me unfortunately and I've come to this site for awhile now meeting some really great smart rabbit owners so I thought it was a good start. Also i rent and my landlord wasn't too happy about 1 rabbit. He considers them rodents and pests. I had to pay a 200 dollar pet deposit just for harvey so I couldn't afford 400 extra a month for 2 rabbits on top of my rent. I'm struggling after covid19 quarantine as it is. It might seem mean of me to just "giveup" and rehome but it's the last thing I really want.

He's very very cool and you sound like you really love him, please do home checks and communicate with people who will be willing to adopt him, there are many people with good intentions but not all people with good intentions can take care of rabbits, especially this one is so special and big. And then people with good intentions can just give up and rehome him to the next person and he can just travel from one hands to the next hands, no good really.

I would second that it might be possible to get him neutered and get him a partner, neutered girl or boy, from my experience, two bonded rabbits are no more expensive than one, just a bit more food and refill his toilet more often but if he's toilet trained it shouldn't be a problem.
And they won't take more space really I have a few bonded pairs they sleep together in their tiny toilet and do everything together. They share.

But you did good that you came here to communicate this, I wish you good luck with finding a very good caring family for him. I do understand your landlord as well, well, good luck :)

Last edited:
I think @zuppa and @Diane R do have a point, when I read this it was very sad and if you're able to get a bonded female/male, and keep him, I would be happy that he would be staying with you, it breaks my heart that you feel the need to let him go. That being said, if you still want to rehome him, my friend did say she liked him :)

I'm so sorry that you have to let go of your baby. That's one of the hardest things to do. I can tell that you love him very much and this is not easy. He is so handsome and looks just like my Trixie. I really wish that I lived closer because I would take him in. I had actually been discussing things with my other half that I wanted to get Trixie a friend because I felt bad for working so much AND that I wanted a Flemish too. I really hope that you can find a home for him.

I'm so sorry that you have to let go of your baby. That's one of the hardest things to do. I can tell that you love him very much and this is not easy. He is so handsome and looks just like my Trixie. I really wish that I lived closer because I would take him in. I had actually been discussing things with my other half that I wanted to get Trixie a friend because I felt bad for working so much AND that I wanted a Flemish too. I really hope that you can find a home for him.
That would be awesome if you could give him a home he'd have the best life possible!
I'd vouch for you, maybe you could meet somewhere halfway or something? It's a really long way to go!

Last edited:
Maybe, but RI is strict with COVID rules and she'd have to do a 2 week quarantine, and the problem would be that she needs to work to support herself, although yeah. If you want to meet halfway that's fine though.

Thanks for the replies everyone I really appreciate the care and concern at a time like this. As guilty as i feel rehoming him I understand what youre saying about just finding him a companion its just not financially an option right now. That was my original intention but I have a new landlord who tacked on a monthly pet deposit because he considers rabbits a rodent who will chew and destroy property. If i get another that will add 400 to my monthly rent and im already working two jobs as it is. I dont know I have felt so guilty ever since posting this I might just take it down. I moved here from out of state for school and he is my best friend and companion i wouldnt know what to do without him. Id hate for him to think I abandoned him. Ive had him since he was 6 weeks old. How do I know what would happen to him? I'll have to seriously think about this some more. Thanks for your insight everyone. I really enjoy the community here.

No problem, and it's totally fine if you can't get a bonded rabbit, as you said there is a fee and it would be harder for you. I'm not 100% sure if my friend can take him, but she does live in RI so he would never be far, and I could update with pictures all the time. He's adorable and I'm sad that you need to let him go, you sound like you love him so much.

No problem, and it's totally fine if you can't get a bonded rabbit, as you said there is a fee and it would be harder for you. I'm not 100% sure if my friend can take him, but she does live in RI so he would never be far, and I could update with pictures all the time. He's adorable and I'm sad that you need to let him go, you sound like you love him so much.
Thanks Remy ...i think I'm going to think on it amd maybe try and write out a plan. Writing things out always helps me think. Has your friend had rabbits before? Would you consider her responsible?

Thanks for the replies everyone I really appreciate the care and concern at a time like this. As guilty as i feel rehoming him I understand what youre saying about just finding him a companion its just not financially an option right now. That was my original intention but I have a new landlord who tacked on a monthly pet deposit because he considers rabbits a rodent who will chew and destroy property. If i get another that will add 400 to my monthly rent and im already working two jobs as it is. I dont know I have felt so guilty ever since posting this I might just take it down. I moved here from out of state for school and he is my best friend and companion i wouldnt know what to do without him. Id hate for him to think I abandoned him. Ive had him since he was 6 weeks old. How do I know what would happen to him? I'll have to seriously think about this some more. Thanks for your insight everyone. I really enjoy the community here.
Please don't feel guilty! You are doing the best thing for him and you in this situation. Just make sure you ask the person you give him to lots of questions to make sure he is getting a great home. :)

Latest posts

Back