Rehoming 9 year old bunny who has lost soul mate

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boon

Reaction score
Hi there - my bunny tragically lost her soul mate about a week ago when our dog managed to get it. Our dog never showed interest in our rabbits until one month ago and ever since our fortifications got stronger and stronger but they failed on this occasion. Very sad. To help the remaining rabbit, Star, process his mates death, we kept the body in the hutch for three hours. Star seems okay at the moment. We have a friend with three other rabbits and we are considering passing Star to her to see if maybe Star will pair slowly with one of them. I don’t like the idea of Star being lonely alone in a large hutch. This happened once before to Star and we had to find a new mate then to help her out of depression. We don’t want another rabbit here given the troublesome dog issue. Is the stress of going to a new home (with a lovely bunny loving owner) okay given the chance of a successful new pairing? If it doesn’t work out, Star will come back to us. Should we wait a bit (a sensible grieving period?) or should we just get in with it? Thanks!

It sounds like it would be safest for her to go to the new home with the potential of a new bondmate. Will they keep her if she does not bond with one of theirs? Are their three rabbits bonded or separate?

Yes - if it doesn’t work, she will come back to us. Have arranged just today to try next week, so wish us luck!! Many thanks for replying :)

Yes - if it doesn’t work, she will come back to us. Have arranged just today to try next week, so wish us luck!! Many thanks for replying :)
Good luck !

Oh, I am so sorry for your loss. I lost a guinea pig to a dog attack years ago and it is so horrible. I still beat myself up.
I think it is commendable of you to try to make your remaining rabbit happy by rehoming, that can't be easy. And great that you will take her back if it does not work out. Hopefully, it will work and she will be happy again with a friend. Good luck and again, sorry for your loss.

Latest posts

Back