REHOME: So. Cal. (Resolved)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becknutt

Reaction score
This little angel is a sibling of my sister inlaw's rabbits. He was an easter bunny from 2006. He is 9-10 months oldand weighs 2-3lbs. She knows he is a pure bred, but doesn't rememberwhat breed. The family doesn't feel the rabbit is getting enoughattention and wants him to go to a bunny loving home. He doesn't getout of the cage too much since they have a large dog in the house. Heis friendly and lets the kids hold him. Cage, food and all included,all it will cost you is a little bunny-love!

Pickup arrangements can be made in the High Desert, the family is inHesperia. I am in Riverside area and if anyones interested I'm sure wecan make arrangements to get him home.

annieRabbit.jpg

Arabbit2.jpg

A w w w w w ... he's a little Dutch boy. :inlove:

Unfortunately your area is flooded with shelter rabbits and otherbunnies in much more dire straights, so rehoming isn't going to be bethat easy -- evenif you do find him a great home, it's takinga space away from a much worse off bunny somewhere in thechain.

Would they considergetting him a friend and building a littlerabbitat for him -- either a multi-level NIC cage or abighutch and run? That way he'll be pretty happy without a lotof attention. Happier than he'd be if the next set of ownersend up having to give him up because they're moving, divorcing, goingto college, they developed allergiesor decided to get a doginstead.

And nobody will have to worry where he ends up down the road via thenext owner or the one after that. Iread a postsomewhere about a snake breeder who makes sure he shows up to 'adopt'his rabbits with an olderkidin tow and photos of anice cage to make surehe passes the 'good home'test. :shock:

When I hear about people who genuinely think they're doing their rabbita favour by giving him to a home where he can get more attention, Idon't think they realize the huge percentage of bunnies that are farworse off. and how easy it is to go downhill instead of up.

Bunnies need attention, but they're happy enough to get it from a bunny mate.

sas

He is adorable! He looks justlike my Max :inlove:.

Sas's ideas are pretty great. Is there any way they could be convincedto keep him? If not, we'll do all we can..but theres so many bunnieswho need homes :cry4:

Thank you for the information. I gave a prettygood version of that speech to the owners and they are not willing toconsider getting a second rabbit. :( My worst fear is that they willend up taking him to the shelter and I do not want to see that happen.

Will two males bond as cage mates? Or only a male and a female?

I hope that someone out there falls in love with his little face andwants to give him the home he deserves. I pray all the buns out therefind loving homes. I wish that I could take him in, but my landlordalready wants to kill me for having so many animals.

I apologize for the quality of the pictures. My daughter took them with her cell phone.

Two males will sometimes bond, although it tendsto be less likely. Neutering is really important because itwill reduce the hormones that cause some of the aggression problems.

Are you thinking of taking him if he'll bond with your bun?It's always worth a try. Just make sure you read up onbonding in Bunny 101 first.

Oh, if only I'd seen this ad onFriday. I had people come up from Hesperia for my horses andthey could have brought him to my house.....They are home already.:(

I just cant get over that adorable face! I just want to give him kisses. :kiss:

Becknutt, is there any way you could offer to foster him until he findsa home and then try bonding him with Floppy? That way, if it doesntwork out, we can keep searching for a home for the little one?

I have bonded two males successfully before, but it does take a lot ofwork. My boys hated eachother at first and would fight at the slightestsmell of one another. I started doing the car ride bonding sessions,followed by neutral territory. It took about a month or so (of sessions2-4 times a week) but it worked. It depends so much on the personalityof the bunny. Is Floppy very territorial?

I think it would be great to get him a buddy. Let us know if you want to give it a try and need some help :hug2:

If the current owners are likely to take him toa shelter, can you check to see if there is a "no kill" shelter in yourarea? Not all shelters are alike.

The Humane Society where I live is a no kill shelter, but will onlytake relinquishments within a certain area. 25 miles awaythere is another Humane Society, but they aren't a "no kill " shelterand may euthanize animals after a short time. Some sheltersroutinely euthanize after a 5 day "stray hold". This is especiallylikely when the shelter is at maximum capacity.

If the owners are aware that "taking him to a shelter" may be the sameas taking him to be euthanized, perhaps they will no longer considerthat as an option and will work with you to find a better solution.

Too many people consider the shelters to be an easy way out, without realizing the reality of the situation.

I must admit the thought entered mymind, but my husband quickly talked some sense into me.Besides the fact that we would probubly get evicted. (The landlord wasNOT happy when we got the 3rd cat....and then the bun...I think we'vepushed our luck as far as possible.) Floppy has never been around otherrabbits. He is good with my cats and loves to snuggle with the dog butI don't know how he would react with another rabbit.

I have talked with Annie (the owner) and she is willing keep him for a while, until we can find him a good home.

CalGal where are you located? If we can find a way to get him to you maybe meet 1/2 way would you be willing to take him?

Sure, whats one more??? LOL. If youcan get him as far as Fresno or somewhere near, I'll takehim. I really don't need a buck, but I'm sure he would makehimself at home. I just added a small flock ofDutch Harlies, so what is one more bunn?? Is heneutered? Not that it matters.There are several shows in our area in January, perhaps someone iscoming up for one?.....Vicki:shock2:

Super! No, he is not neutered. Do you recall how long the drive was from Hesperia?

Anyone out there between Hesperia and Fresno willing to help with transport?

Thanks to everyone!

The drive is about 5 hours, maybe 6.I'm about 2 hours from Fresno and could meet on the south side of itpretty easily. If you can get them that far I'lltake him. He may become my g-daughters pet...depends on histemperment with kids. Either way he will havefriends here. V.

Well it doesn't look like there is anyone on thetransport list between us. I am about an hour and a half south ofHesperia. The owners husband is a truck driver, I'll check with him andsee if he does any routes up that way or maybe he knows another driverwho does...

He is a little skittish with strangers so it may take him a littlewhile to warm up to you, but he is a doll with the 5 year old girl helives with as well as my 11 y/o.

Do you house your buns indoors or out? He is used to being kept indoors.

I'll send out a pm to all out CA members just incase there is someone in that area who could help with the transportbut might not see this thread.

So is it between Hesperia and Fresno that we needdrivers?Looks like thats about 5 hours, so we would probablyneed 2 people. Maybe one to drive from Hesperia to aroundBakersfield or somewhere in that area and then Bakersfield to Fresno...

I gotta run right now but I'll send out a pm this evening..

My buns are outside in my barn. I'mout there several times a day, loving on the buns that want luving(right now all the babies want to be loved on) I'm in theprocess of creating a rabbitry, 12' x 24', and cages that are 24x30 and30x36 depending on whether its a doe or buck. Its a couple ofweeks from completion as I'm doing it myself and there aremodifications to be made to the stalls (its a shedrow horsebarn). If there is an inside home that someone would offer,that would be wonderful and my feelings wouldn't be hurt at all, butI'm puttingmy offer out as at least one option.--Vicki

So...where do we stand with this little bun? Keep me in the loop.:headflick:

I just sent out a pm this afternoon to all CAmembers, asking for help...so if you guys decide you want to go aheadwith things, let me know and I'll try a few more options...

Latest posts

Back