ReHome/Foster-Belle's not well again.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChandieLee

Reaction score
Hi guys. It's been awhile. I feel like a jerk because I only pop up when one of the rabbit's aren't well. That has everything to do with insecurities that don't need to be discussed here. Belle is my priority right now.

Belle's been doing fine for the past six months or so. She'd been eating greens that had been shaving her molars down, and I'm pretty sure that's why she wasn't having any problems. Now, she's drooling, can't eat and moving her mouth funny. I think everyone knows what that means.'

Every time this happens, I send myself into full blown panic mode because of money. Every time this has happened, I spend the money on vet bills, even though I really couldn't. I wish more than anything that I could do it again. This time, I can't do anything. I'm completely broke. I even have to move back in with my parents. I feel like a failure.

I come here, once again, to ask for help. I don't know what to do, and I need to find some sort of solution. I thought of re-homing her, however, after a fair bit of research, and some common sense, I realized that no one would take care of her- not with the constant vet trips, and bills, and the fact that she'd come with Necro, since they're bonded.

I want the best for her, even if it's not the best for me.

As always, I appreciate the help and support from R.O.

Chandra

Oh, Chandie, I'm so sorry Belle is having these issues.:( I hope everything will work out. In the meantime, we can try to help here! Don't feel bad for asking for help, that's why we're here:hug:.

Maybe we should put this in Rescue Me Section...? This might help in your strong efforts right now. I'm so sorry, Chandie...:(

Thanks. :hug1

I've learned that things like this happen, and I have to find some way to deal with it, so yes... maybe we should put this in the 'rescue me' section. I finally know why I fought so hard to avoid re-homing her; I knew it would destroy me emotionally to give her away. I needed her like a safety blanket. I love her. She's my baby. I finally realize that if I really do love her, I need to do what's best for her... even if it breaks my heart.

ChandieLee wrote:
Thanks. :hug1

I've learned that things like this happen, and I have to find some way to deal with it, so yes... maybe we should put this in the 'rescue me' section. I finally know why I fought so hard to avoid re-homing her; I knew it would destroy me emotionally to give her away. I needed her like a safety blanket. I love her. She's my baby. I finally realize that if I really do love her, I need to do what's best for her... even if it breaks my heart.

Oh sweetheart, you have honestly done Everything you can do within your means, I totally understand. I'm so very sorry. I don't even want to do it... I'll never forget the bath vid, too cute!:biggrin2:

Please, anyone that loves buns and has experience with teeth issues/vet bills and can possibly help foster/rehome this little love, would be greatly appreciated;).

Thank You Everyone!:(:)

You can sell the oddest things on eBay and Craigslist as long as its for a needy-bunny fundraiser with the money going to a Vet and people will buy it just to help out.

Can you make arrangements with your Vet to set up an account?

There are ways to do this. How much is the bill?

You can keep her well nourished with a pellet slurry, some canned pumpkin and maybe some Nutri-Cal. If it takes a bit to round up the funds, she will survive.

And you still have a chance of wearing her molars down naturally if you can get her eating a lot of the right stuff -- although I'm honestly not exactly sure what that is!

Pipp's spur(s) have broken off on their own twice now when I couldn't get her to the Vet's for her surgery (both times were long weekends). I gave her some Metacam to get her through to the appointment, she started eating again and they went away. I was giving her favourites like kale, carrot, broccoli stems (and leaves) cilantro, etc. (She won't eat hay).

Try some grass, too.

Don't beat yourself up about being broke, there are SO many people in the same boat. :(

Work towards a bunny fundraiser. And don't be afraid to ask your Vet for a discount. Offer to help advertise the clinic. There are a bunch of 'Rate the Vet' sites popping up plus forums like this one with directories (and 10,000 bunny fanatics), tell them you'll make sure they're recommended and prominently listed. Offer to sweep the floors or whatever you can do that might be beneficial to them. People like helping those who really are trying to help themselves and not just standing there with their hand out, you'll have a leg up.

sas :clover:

I wouldn't have put this in Rescue until you have a lot of time to think about it and explore options.

If you're not being forced to give them up for reasons beyond financial, there really are a lot of things to try before an attempt at re-homing.

sas :clover:

Hi Pipp.
I don't have much that's sell-able, for lack of better word. I can make things though... and try to sell them. I'm not sure how well that will go over though.

I have also previously done a payment plan for Belle's vet bills, which are usually a little over $400, and I payed $50 every other week. I wouldn't even be able to afford that now :grumpy:.

I do have some critical care, so I can give her that. I'm also concerned about the pain though, because I think that's why she's drooling, and unfortunately, I'm out of metacam, but I do have baby tylenol, or ibuprofen, so I think that could help a bit. I don't exactly remember how much I should give her though.

I've been up all night- unable to sleep because I worry over everything, so I'm going to nap. And then, it's off to the store to get some greens.

Thanks to both of you.

Chandra

$400??? :shock:

Pipp's Vet used to charge around $80 and I was quite choked when it went up to $125.

I'd contact the local rescues, the SPCA, Humane Society, etc, and see if you can get references to cheaper vets or a Vet school or something, and maybe in the process you can explain your predicament, discuss rehoming and they may come up with something.

Or maybe arrangements can be made to temporarily send her to another area with cheaper care. More of an mini-Bunderground Railroad than foster care.

There are options. :)

If it's your standard spur stuff, its easy surgery, just takes a steady hand.

I'll leave it here for now, seeing as Rescues may have some suggestions.

sas :hug:

Oh and definitely no Tylenol. I use Ibuprofen, Baby Motrin to be exact. (I've given a quarter tab to my 4 or 5 lbers I think).

Just make sure she takes it with food and isn't dehydrated.

sas :bunnydance:

Pipp wrote:
$400??? :shock:

Pipp's Vet used to charge around $80 and I was quite choked when it went up to $125.

I'd contact the local rescues, the SPCA, Humane Society, etc, and see if you can get references to cheaper vets or a Vet school or something, and maybe in the process you can explain your predicament, discuss rehoming and they may come up with something.

Or maybe arrangements can be made to temporarily send her to another area with cheaper care. More of an mini-Bunderground Railroad than foster care.

There are options. :)

If it's your standard spur stuff, its easy surgery, just takes a steady hand.

I'll leave it here for now, seeing as Rescues may have some suggestions.

sas :hug:

Around her area the prices will be high. Even with the rescues discount it is still pretty high for us.

Chandie ask the vet if you can have some metacam in the mean time. How much does that usually cost?

$400 is very high- then again, everything in Massachusetts is costly :grumpy:
Part of the reason why it's so high is because they are adamant on keeping her "hospitalized" until they see her eating and pooping again. I've told them before that I'd prefer to bring her home the day of the surgery, because I'm capable of handling all the aftercare, and at first they seem okay it with it. When I talk to them after the surgery has been done, it's a whole different story.
The costs also just add up- the cost of the surgery itself, the cost of the anesthetic, the medication they give her while she's there, plus how many days they keep her there. I hate to say this and I could be wrong, because they've helped with Belle a lot, but I feel like they just want the money or something.

I've contacted the local shelter for a couple of other reasons, and they weren't too friendly with me, and I've recently emailed them about a homeless cat, but of course, I haven't gotten answer from them.

I think I'll contact specifically, a rabbit rescue. The local rescue here mainly only deal with cats and dogs, and may not be sympathetic to my situation. Non- rabbit people don't quite understand, as mean as that sounds.

Alicia, I'm not sure how much the metacam is off the top of my head. To be honest, I'm a little afraid of calling them to ask for it because they'll know what's going on with Belle and get upset because I'm not bringing her in right away. I actually do have baby motrin though. Is that okay to hold her over until things get figured out?

ChandieLee wrote:
$400 is very high- then again, everything in Massachusetts is costly :grumpy:
Part of the reason why it's so high is because they are adamant on keeping her "hospitalized" until they see her eating and pooping again. I've told them before that I'd prefer to bring her home the day of the surgery, because I'm capable of handling all the aftercare, and at first they seem okay it with it. When I talk to them after the surgery has been done, it's a whole different story.
The costs also just add up- the cost of the surgery itself, the cost of the anesthetic, the medication they give her while she's there, plus how many days they keep her there. I hate to say this and I could be wrong, because they've helped with Belle a lot, but I feel like they just want the money or something.

I've contacted the local shelter for a couple of other reasons, and they weren't too friendly with me, and I've recently emailed them about a homeless cat, but of course, I haven't gotten answer from them.

I think I'll contact specifically, a rabbit rescue. The local rescue here mainly only deal with cats and dogs, and may not be sympathetic to my situation. Non- rabbit people don't quite understand, as mean as that sounds.

Alicia, I'm not sure how much the metacam is off the top of my head. To be honest, I'm a little afraid of calling them to ask for it because they'll know what's going on with Belle and get upset because I'm not bringing her in right away. I actually do have baby motrin though. Is that okay to hold her over until things get figured out?

You can always refuse to have her hospitalized.I prefer to have my sick bunnies at home. I wake up several time each night and check on them. At the vet they are not monitored during off-office hours. Justsay no if you feel comfortable in providing Belle's care. What are they going to do if you say you won't pay for it?

A dental trim isn't invasive surgery, my Vet just uses a sedative for Pipp. One shot to knock her out, another to wake her up.

I'm not recommending that over any other ansethetic and not sure that its cheaper, anyway, but unless Belle has had previous issues with anesthetic, she doesn't have to be hospitalized.

And yes, aside from the SPCA and HS, just contact rabbit rescues, most of the others don't know and don't care.

You do live in a populated area at least, there should be options. It may mean a bit of a hike to go elsewhere, but you can cut travel costs with ride shares, etc.. Maybe round up other bunny slaves interested in a cheaper alternative for their rabbits and make a day of it.

Because its not surgery, there won't be an issue re: travelling with her, she'll only have a mildly sore mouth and be a little groggy. And by now, she's probably used to it.

ETA: Baby Motrin is fine, just make sure she's fed and hydrated.

sas :bunnydance:

PS: I'm not sure what medication they'd be giving her while she's there, either, aside from anesthetic. A pain shot? Maybe, but that would be about it.

They stretch their mouths with the brace and fiddle with the molars. They can have mild scrapes on the gums I guess. But they shouldn't be breaking any skin. No need for antibiotics or anything else.

I thought I'd reply quickly before I get started on my homework.
Pipp- they give her pain meds, they inject her with fluids to keep her hydrated, and they give her propulsid and lactulose- due to the fact that Belle won't eat. These are meds that they also send me home with.

I've got tons of HW to ge started on- I didn't do any last night, because I was upset about Belle- but I'll be back!

ChandieLee wrote:
Pipp- they give her pain meds, they inject her with fluids to keep her hydrated, and they give her propulsid and lactulose- due to the fact that Belle won't eat. These are meds that they also send me home with.
Ugh, she certainly doesn't need the propulsid (Cisapride) and lactulose, she won't eat because her TEETH are bugging her, that stuff is designed to move food through the system. Totally unnecessary. (Some, if not most, think that stuff shouldn't be used at all even on stasis bunnies).

Definitely find another vet. The bill should be half what it is now. At the most.

sas :grumpy:

Latest posts

Back