Register

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnylover78642

Reaction score
How do you register rabbits? Canyou view their info after words? When breeding rabbits what recordsshould you keep? How do I get started?:D

I'm not sure where you are located but this is how it's done in the USA:

To Register rabbits:

1) You must be a member of ARBA

2) Your rabbit must have a full 3 generation pedigree

3) Your rabbit must be purebred and within the Sr weight limit

4) The rabbit must be a senior

5) Must be free from disqualifications

6) You find an ARBA Register to register your rabbit (most likely atshows) to fill out paper work and tattoo an R with a circle around itin the right ear.

Just because your rabbits is registered doesn't mean its the best showrabbit out there. All it means is that the rabbit is a representive ofthe breed. It doesn't up the price of the rabbit. However, your rabbitmust be registered in order to become a Grand Champion.

As far as what to keep records of:

I keep records of medications given and when

what shows the rabbits went to along with placement and comments

when does where bred, how many they had dead/alive and how they were overall as a mother

I also keep track of what bucks have serviced what does.

Hope this helps some what!

~*~Amanda~*~

The place to start is the American RabbitBreeders Association :) My daughter and I are bothARBA licensed registrars (I am a rabbit judge as well). Ihighly recommend joining the ARBA. You will receive the"Domestic Rabbits" magazine subscription as wellasthe256 page ARBA official Rabbitguidebook"Raising Better Rabbits & Cavies".

American Rabbit Breeders AssociationMembership info:

Membership
in the AMERICAN RABBIT BREEDERS ASSOCIATION,INC.,entitles the individual or family to a copy of the OfficialGuidebook To Raising Better Rabbits (free with the initialmembership), the ARBA Yearbook, a subscriptionto Domestic Rabbits magazine, Registration, Grand Championcertification and other privileges.
Membership Fees:
Individual Adult - 1 year -$15.00Individual Youth - 1 year -$8.00Husband/Wife (Combination) - 1 year -$20.001 Yr Family - $20.00 (1 or 2 adults [must be spouse] ) plus $2.00 peryouth
3 Yr Family - $50.00 (1 or 2 adults [must be spouse] ) plus $6.00 per youth
** ALL NON-US MEMBERSHIPS MUST INCLUDE $10.00 PER YEAR SERVICE FEE **

Name:

Youth Age:

Address:

City:

State:

Zip:

Amount Enclosed:

Referred By: Pamela Nock #806

Send to:

American Rabbit Breeders Association, Inc.
Glen Carr, Executive Director
PO Box 426 Bloomington, IL 61702

There is "supposed" to be a licensed registrar atall ARBA sanctioned shows who would be able to tattoo yourrabbit. Unfortunately, not all the shows comply with theserules, and in certain areas, it can be difficult to find a show with aregistrar. I no longer do shows, but register rabbits at myhome, or will travel short distances if someone has a number of rabbitsthat need to be done.

You may also find a breeder locally or at a show who would be willingto tattoo your rabbit. If you plan on showing the day yourrabbit is tattooed, carefully clean all the ink out of the ear so thetattoo is legible.

Pam

Thanks Pam... I am unsure if I will show her,don't know if she is show quality or not but my little cousin Courtneywould love to do some 4-H with her for the experience. She is alwayscoming over to care for the buns and she wouldn't leave my house whenall the babies were here! Every night she could she asked for asleepover! LOL! Thanks again for the response, I bet I could find abreeder (like the one I got her from) to do it if I need it done. Youcouldn't usea real human tattoo gun could you?

Fergi's mom

Yes, you can use a human tattoo gun.That's the one I most frequently use as they are far more durable thanthe cheap battery models.

Pam

Go for it! I firmly swaddle the rabbitin a towel, with just it's left ear sticking out and I lay the rabbiton my lap. Be certain you are tattooing the correct ear (the"rabbit's" left ear, which will be on "your" right when you lay therabbit on it's back). I wouldn't get too carried away -- justhave 1 or 2 characters put in the ear with black ink. Applyvaseline over the tattoo.

Pam

Stephanie wrote:
Do you have to live in the States? I am a US citizen...

The American Rabbit Breeders Association also includes members from Canada, Mexico, Puerto Rico andJapan.

Pam

Thanks for the info. I just printed out theMembership form. I have a mini rex that needs registering. He is only 2months old though. I have the pedigree his old owner gave me when Ibought him. She told me he was registered but I am not sure because heis not tattooed. How do I get him tattooed and where is a show aroundme. I am located in Liberty Hill, Texas. Can you register a mixedrabbit?

You will want to start out by joining the ARBA,then purchasing a copy of the Standard of Perfection for $15.It is the guide used for judging and describes eachbreedincluding accepted weights. A pink order formwill arrive with your membership card, so you can order theStandard. You'll also be receiving the free ARBA guidebookwhich will have the information that will answer many of your questionsas well as the ARBA year book that lists all the rules.

Senior weight is the weight range for a senior age rabbit. (6 monthsand over for small breeds -- 8 months and over for large breeds).

The owner of the Mini Rex meant "pedigreed". A rabbit cannot be officially registered before 6 months of age.

To be registered a rabbit must have a 3 generation pedigree, with allthe same "breeds" on the pedigree -- so therefore, a mixed breed cannotbe ARBA registered.

With your ARBA membership, you will begin receiving the Domestic Rabbits magazine, which lists the shows in your area.

Pam

Hey Pam- isn't Domestic Rabbits supposed to beout this month? I still haven't gotten mine.. if I remember right, backin Nov. I got mine pretty close the the beginning of the month. :?

~Nichole

Back