Redness in corner of eye?? HELP

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bethanyjackson

Reaction score
My Phoebe's right eye is red and seems to be irritated in the corner with a tiny patch or fur missing where there are two small two red dots. I'm thinking it could be from my other dominant lion head who she lives with. They're both female and have been together since they were babies. She doesn't seem to be in pain and she's only a few months old. Can I apply dab some polysporin on the patch with a Q-tip maybe? If it gets any worse I will take her to the vet but I want to see if theres anything I can do to make it go away on my own. If you can view the picture, normal eye is on left and red one is the right picture.

IMG_4258.JPG

It might just be a little irritation form being poked by hay or her scratching it. It doesn't look bad. Were she my rabbit, I'd flush the eye with a saline eye wash (same kind sold for humans) and see how it looks in a few days. If it gets worse, I'd ask a vet, and probably have to take her to be seen by the vet.

I would definitely keep an eye on it. It could be over grooming but I can think of several disease processes that may have periocular hair loss like that so if it gets any worse (or even if it doesn't) please take her in to see your vet.

This is also happening to my bunny, Stanley - just one eye. He seems to groom a LOT, so perhaps there is foreign matter trapped in there? I'm not sure if I should be concerned about this? He doesn't seem to be bothered by it, he is eating and doing everything he normally does, his poops are fine so there's no signs of discontent - but never having had a bunny before him, I'm unsure of what to do. He's still getting used to us and handling him is quite the feat, so I'm not even certain that I'd be able to get some saline into his eye.

(i should note - no hair loss, just a little bit of discharge in the corner of the eye, and very faint signs of tears on his cheek fur).

Back