Red urine.. or blood?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spring

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I think it's been three weeks since I've noticed red urine? Maybe a little less. I read it couldbe just from the cold or plant pigment, nothing to worry about but when I got home today this worried me..

I checked her cage and on the wood bottom in the corner there was a puddle of red urine and had chunks ofred stuff in them. It could have just been the droppings.. Do they turn mushy if put in damp? I collected a sample on paper towel and put it in a paper bag. I checked it later once it dried and it now was orange could it just have been orange urine that changed red because of the cold? I read about uterine cancer and this is the thing thats making me sick with worry. I'm going to keep my eye on it to check it. Can it be revered if it is uterine cancer with spaying if it's not too late?

She's only just over a year old is this around them time for uterine cancer? I'm going to keep my eye on it and if I find anymore red mushy stuff, I'm going to have to take her to the vet again!

I'm extremely worried about her I had two scares before for her life in the last two months! I'm not sure what's going on! Are netherland dwarfs more easily get ill?:bigtears:

Blood in the urine will appearasstrands or little clots, not lumps. Its usuallypretty hard to detect unless its really serious and that would morelikely bea sudden onslaught.

You can put a paper towel in her pee area and see if you can seestrands or clots when she urinates on it. If it turns orange,she should be okay. (I do believe you there are strips fromthe drugstore that will test for blood, but not sure if this means youhave to get her to pee in a cup). :ponder:

Uterine cancer is really common for bunnies over a year old, so yes,she should be spayed soon, alsowhile she's still young enoughto bounce back from the surgery. If she does have it, thespaying should take care of it, it doesn't usually spread, at least notquickly.

Also be on the lookout for dehydration. Dark urine could be a sign of that as well as other issues.

A lot of vets will give you a free pre-op check up if you book her for a spay.

If you can get a paper towel and pop in her hutch and then you can seewhat colour the urine is, obviously because the paper towel is white.

I would take her to the vet, I don't know much about uterine cancer,only what I have read, so please don't take what I say as gospel but Iwould be organising a vet visit as soon as you can.

Goodluck and keep us posted.

Reddish colored or orange urine can be just fromexcess protein. The rabbit rids itself of what it doesn'tneed through the urine. You may be feeding to high a proteinfeed.

But if you are worried, a vet visit would be re-assuring...

I'll try the paper towel but not sure if she'lldestroy it and rip it apart! I'm only using a vet as the last option asit is about a 30-40 minute drive depending on traffic! She gets SOstressed out from the car ride! I had an issue where she lost all herhair under her chin, i think because of all the stress. I'll ask my momabout spaying her to see what she thinks. I try to explain stuff toher, but she thinks it's just a high statistic to get people to spendmoney on something that's not necessary :nonono:

Also, I think my mom is getting tired as I've been back and forth tothe vet a few weeks ago and getting charged per visit! That CAN amountto quit a bit.

I was wondering about her food because it's some new stuff.. should Itake it out and give her the old stuff? Should I cut back on the amountof oats? Or just take it right out of her diet?

Also, I was reading this can be by high calcium diet? Are vegetableshigh in calcium? The vegetables I've been giving her (in order fromamount I give her) are: Celery,apple,broccoli, and parsley? Are theyhigh in calcium?

I REALLY want to get her spayed just to get that worry about if it everhappens off my mind. I guess I have some "mom-convincing" to do!:disgust:

Oh ok. I put the paper towel in her cage and itwas moved and sort of torn apart but it was just an orangy pumpkincolour. She had moved it and there was pee in her normal spot but I amalmost 100% sure that there was no blood looking stuff. It smells fishyto me? Is this normal?

Ok so if it's not blood.. then what else could it be? Does anyone have any suggestions of what I can do??:colors:

hi,

another thing you can try to see if your bunny has red pee orblood in her pee is put a clean containor in her cage where shepees.look really good for clots.if you see blood it could be a bladderinfection or a bladder stone.i have 1 bunny now named peaches at 12weeks old she got a bladder infection she was treated with antiboticsshe's fine now but i do have to watch as peaches was born with a tinybladder which makes her more prone to them.

i had another bunny named brandy who died at the hands of a vet.brandypeed blood i took her to this 1 vet gave her meds that didn't help rana pee test next came up with nothing test was done wrong.then brandy'slast vet visit my mom took her back told that dumb bell run an x-rayincase of a stone .that vet really didn't but it was done poor brandyhad a dime size stone.she was due to have surgery the next day.brandynever got the surgery infact that vet squeezed her so bad he burstedher kidneys.

thank god i finally found dr goode.she knows what she's doing

good luck

michelle

Ok I can try that. Aww your poor rabbit. I wouldhave given that vet heck!! Grrrrr! What colour was the pee with theblood in it? I've stopped giving her veggies for 48 hours to see ifthis is the issue. I read it could be from an excessive amount ofvegetables? She's acting normal, no straining to pee, her bum is clean,no urine around her private, I couldn't feel anything when I palpatedher so I'm not sure. I have the rabbit food from the pet store and it'sjust in a plastic bag no labels is this OK? I tried other foods, butshe doesn't like them.

I'll try putting a container where she urinates to see if I can findanything later tonight I'll take her out and let her run around for anhour to see if she'll pee as I then can get a good look at it.. Whatshould I look for? Dark red blood clots or stringy stuff? Anything else?

hi,

sounds like your doing everything right.if your bunny pees in thecontainor &you think you see blood i would put the sample in aclean jar with a lid & take it to your vet.to have the peetested make sure if your bunny does have a bladder infection that thevet orders meds that are not in the penicillan family.they kill rabbits& other small animals.you can give your bunny cranberry juicesmall amount.i give peaches a small cup everynite to prevent anotherinfection

good luck

michelle

Oh yea. I read about for humans, cranberry juiceis good for bladder infections. I'll see in the morning if I can seeany blood. Should I try next time get something from teh drugstore totest for blood in the urine? It's worth atry. Is it acurate?

Back