Red swallen eye

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QueenMab

Reaction score
Hi,
we just noticed Emilio has a red swallen eye, it's almost closed now; there is a little bit of deposit in the corner. It doesn't look like it's runny though, no tears or wet fur under the eye. It's evening here so I have to wait until tomorrow to see the vet.
He's eating and playing as usual. What is it?? I'm worried!

Could he have gotten scratched from another bunny or maybe he scratched himself? Sounds like a trip to the vet is needed. He may need his eye flushed and some medication for his eye. As long as he's acting normal i believe it can wait until your vet calls you back tomorrow.

Keep us posted!

Would you mind posting a picture? I went through rabbit syphilis with Shelby and how it started is the corner of the eye was a bit red and swollen, but over a week time her eye was completely crusted over and closed and started transferring to the other eye. At first we were given antibiotics orally and after a week there was no change so we did a blood test and found syphilis. Usually, with syphilis, there could be other small sores in the genital area. She also had one on her foot. We ended up having to do four doses of weekly penicillin shots which luckily wiped the whole thing out.

Another possibility is a blocked tear duct. If the eye doesn't have thick, crusty sores after a week it could be a tear duct which a vet will usually flush out.

Hope you get some answers at the vet! Good luck!

Hi guys, a little update on Emilio's eye: we went to the vet and he said it's an infection, he gave him an injection and antibiotic eye drops/gel to give him 2 times a day for 5 days. the right eye seems fine BUT the left eye has started to swollen up and got red. So now i'm doing the eye drops treatment in the left eye too.
Might it be conjunctivitis?
The vet said that if it comes back we have to run some tests.
Do you have experience with conjunctivitis?

Yes, Nancy, I would really recommend asking your vet to do a blood test for Treponema (the critter responsible for Syphilis).Even though it is a bit pricey, as all blood tests are, it is well worth it.

Please do put up a picture if you can and I will tel you if it looks like what Shelby suffered with. Check bunny's genitals carefully and see if there are any small sores.

Back