Red Postules on Eyes and Mouth

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ah, well this is what's on my 'puter, and it's what Crystal already posted I think...

VIII. Rabbit (Shope) Fibroma Virus
A. Etiology: Fibroma virus is a member of the leporipoxvirus group and is closely related to myxoma virus. The virus has widespread incidence in both domestic and wild rabbit populations. Few cases of virus-induced fibromas have been diagnosed in rabbits in Missouri although the majority of cases are reported from the western and southwestern United States.
B. Transmission: The natural transmission cycle is not known although arthropod vector transmission is likely.
C. Clinical Signs: Tumors occur on the legs or feet, on the muzzle, and around the eyes. The tumors are subcutaneous and not attached to underlying tissue. Metastases from the original tumor do not occur. The infected adult rabbit remains clinically normal otherwise. Tumors will typically regress after a period of months. Spontaneous and experimental infections of neonatal domestic rabbits, however, has produced cutaneous and visceral tumors.
D1346.jpg

D. Pathology: The earliest lesion is slight thickening of the subcutaneous tissue followed by development of clearly demarcated soft tissue swellings which are evident on day 6 post inoculation. Tumors increase in size until day 12. They persist for months before regressing. The earliest microscopic lesion is an acute inflammatory reaction followed by localized fibroblastic proliferation. Proliferation continues until a distinct tumor is formed consisting of spindle-shaped and polygonal connective tissue cells with abundant cytoplasm. Intracytoplasmic inclusions are present in stellate cells, and less commonly or rarely in the epidermal cells. Degeneration of the epidermis overlying the tumor may result from pressure ischemia. This leads to necrosis and sloughing of the epithelium.
F. Diagnosis: Clinical signs and lesion morphology are primary diagnostic tools.
G. Control: This is not considered to be an important problem in domestic rabbits. In outdoor rabbitries, vector control is advised.
IX. Rabbit (Shope) Papilloma Virus
A. Etiology: A member of the papovavirus group. This disease is seen most frequently in cottontail rabbits of the Midwest with outbreaks in domestic rabbits. Incidence of disease is low.
B. Transmission: Arthropod vector transmission of the natural disease has been demonstrated. The mosquito is thought to be the main vector in transmission from feral to domestic rabbits.
C. Clinical Signs: Horny warts are found on the eyelids and ears. The growths are well keratinized, and the upper surface is irregular and split. The growths are easily scratched or knocked off. These sites later heal without complication.
D. Pathology: The tumor has the typical appearance of a papilloma with elongated rete pegs of epithelium surrounding central cores of connective tissue. A mild inflammatory cell infiltrate is normally found in the dermal layers underlying the tumor. Failure of the lesion to resolve may lead to development of squamous cell carcinoma.
E. Diagnosis: Clinical signs and histological examination are the basis for diagnosis.
F. Control: Control of the arthropod vectors will eliminate the introduction and spread of disease. Tumors that fail to spontaneously resolve in 30 days should be removed surgically to prevent dedifferentiation into neoplasia.

ok, PIPP!!! now I am going to cry!

You just had to post a pic with a castor mini-rex didn't you LOL!

I hope it's easily taken care of tho seriously!

Poor things - looks awful!

LOL! I was JUST posting a note especially for Bo reiterating that it's neither painful nor debilitating much less life-threatening.

It just LOOKS awful. ;)

And I've got a picture here somewhere of a WAY worse looking little Cloverbunny-clone with his or her whole face covered with the horned warts, and actually thriving in spite ofspeculation that he/she couldn't eat. (The bunny spent the summer hanging out in somebody's yard, and wasn't bothered by thegrowths at all).

sas :biggrin2:

There are different kinds of papilloma viruses but papillomas all work the same: they take a while to develop, and wouldn't suddenly pop up. I'd lean more towards a fibroma virus but I don't know how fast it takes a fibroma to form. Danged book doesn't say.

Pipp wrote:
VIII. Rabbit (Shope) Fibroma Virus
... the majority of cases are reported from the western and southwestern United States.
... Tumors occur on the legs or feet, on the muzzle, and around the eyes.
.... The earliest lesion is slight thickening of the subcutaneous tissue followed by development of clearly demarcated soft tissue swellings which are evident on day 6 post inoculation. Tumors increase in size until day 12. They persist for months before regressing.
Yup, that fits. He said they popped up right away.

Hope he sees a rabbit-savvy vet who thinks 'Shope' and not 'Pappiloma'. ;) (We led the poor fellow astray).;)

I did tell him to print outthe material from both of the links and take it to the vet. I'm sure they'll figure it out. (Although I would have thought that would have been considered right off the bat, but whatdoiknow).

sas :)

OH I didn't see your post. I have this tendency to pull a page up to reply then forget about it for a few minutes...

Okay, yes. It sounds a lot more like Shope fibroma virus.

Given that I'm not the most knowledged on bun health issues, this is gonna sound weird:

But....

In the back of my mind, I thought it looked related to the myxoma descriptions I've been reading. But there wasn't any real data to connect that with, until I read what you wrote, Pipp.

And then to find out I was quite probably right...

Hey...I might be getting the hang of these bun health issues after all! :D

But...I hope your baby gets the help he needs...and keep us posted, ok?

:pray:

Just got back from the vet (I found a good one with lots of rabbit experience) and he's treating it as one of the viruses since it popped up so fast. It's too close to the eyes to remove without damaging the tear ducts and having to sew part of the eye shut, so we're hoping it will subside.

Sas, your post looks like the right thing and was close to what the vet thought it might be. It's evidently not very common, so he had never seen it before, either and it's tough to diagnose since there are several forms of that virus. If it had taken weeks or months to grow, he'd be more concerned about it being a tumor that would never go away, but since it happened in 5 days, he's hopeful it will correct itself like your post suggests.

Luckily, it seems that after a few months it will go down and has probably gotten as large as it will. Sad to see, but it doesn't seem to bother him, so I'm sure he'll be fine. He'll hate being separated from his buddy next door.

Many thanks to all of you for your concern, advise and GREAT research. Hopefully, you've nailed it and it seems my vet is treating it appropriately. What a great group you all are!

I'll let you know down the line how it progresses.

Trent

The growthsare slowly going down, but they still look pretty bad. They've only gone down about 20% or so. I'm sure there will be scarring. However, it looks like he might make it. Thanks for asking.

Trent

Ok, I posted to this and it disappeared, here we go again;).

I was actually thinking about you guys yesterday. Glad to hear they're going down. I hope he continues to improve. Keep us posted:).

Hey Trent, someone on the PetBunny list is having a Shopes issue, thought I'd bump this thread and see how you and Cookie made out with this.

Hope you see this!

sas :bunnydance:

Latest posts

Back