red mites?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnylove817

Reaction score
HI work at a petstore and we have a red mite infestation on our hamsters. It is really bad, we have been treating them for weeks and they haven't gotten any better. We now they are attacking us, I go home every night with dozens of bites all over me. I'm scared that I may have given them to the rabbits. Is there anything that you can use on rabbits to treat red mites?

I don't know a thing about Red Mites, so I found this website for you:

http://www.mybunny.org/info/mites.pdf

Page 6 it covers Red Mites (Dermanyssus gallinae), and their treatment for rabbits, however I don't know how outdated the information is, or whether it is completely recommended.
It does say in there that Frontline, although CAN be used on rabbits, shouldn't be due to the severe side-effects etc. So it sounds as though it knows what it's talking about, but I am not positive :dunno

Can anyone confirm the advice given in the site?

Jen

NO do not use Frontline on rabbits!

I didn't see the website but I know that even the manufacturer of Frontline says not to use it on rabbits.

Revolution (selamectin), Advantage, and ivermectin can be used.

Check out this website: there are several different types of external parasites mentioned. I am in a hurry but will try to provide better, more specific information later.
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Parasite/Parasites_main.htm

Actually, the article is stating that the manufacture strongly advises against using Frontline, and it is not a good choice for rabbits. So I would agree with their treatment protocols, all the other medications mentioned are safe for rabbits.

-Dawn

tonyshuman wrote:
NO do not use Frontline on rabbits!

I didn't see the website but I know that even the manufacturer of Frontline says not to use it on rabbits.

That's what I said lol. I meant just because you CAN doesn't mean you should. I meant physically can lol.
But yes, both I and the website said don't use it, it causes severe side affects and death.

Just to clarify, cos I think there is a misunderstanding here, I have never and will never use frontline on my rabbits :). And my vets don't allow it.

Jen

aurora369 wrote:
Actually, the article is stating that the manufacture strongly advises against using Frontline, and it is not a good choice for rabbits. So I would agree with their treatment protocols, all the other medications mentioned are safe for rabbits.

-Dawn

Thank you, Dawn

So it is a good, up-to-date website? I wasn't sure, as i hadn't heard of some of those they recommended.

Jen

jcottonl02 wrote:
It does say in there that Frontline, although CAN (as in physically you can use it) be used on rabbits, shouldn't be due to the severe side-effects etc. So it sounds as though it knows what it's talking about.

Clarifying :biggrin2:. The article says NOT to use Frontline, so 'it sounds as though they know what they are talking about' because that is a very important point to know.

That is what I meant. I was trying to get across that the website said NOT to use Frontline, so I am more likely to take the rest of what they said, if they got something else so important right.

:) Just to clarify

Jen

jcottonl02 wrote:

Jen
This is a good link, however theadvise of using a carbamate powder (such as carbaryl Sevin dust or kitten flea powder)because it's not absorbed through the skin is false (powdered products are absorbed through the skin and can in rare casescause toxic reaction). That said, I've used Sevin-5 for many years without any rabbits having a reaction.

pamnock wrote:
jcottonl02 wrote:

Jen
This is a good link, however theadvise of using a carbamate powder (such as carbaryl Sevin dust or kitten flea powder)because it's not absorbed through the skin is false (powdered products are absorbed through the skin and can in rare casescause toxic reaction). That said, I've used Sevin-5 for many years without any rabbits having a reaction.

Ah brilliant :). Thanks Pamnock

Jen

This one recommends the use of a powdered carbamate, with caution, because these compounds can be harmful to rabbits.
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/lesscommonmite.PDF

Wikipedia:
The so-called carbamate insecticides feature the carbamate ester functional group. Included in this group are aldicarb, carbofuran, Furadan, fenoxycarb, carbaryl (Sevin), ethienocarb, and fenobucarb.

To be honest I am not comfortable recommending you use any of these products on your rabbit. I would visit the vet and ask them what they recommend you use. I have heard of people using Sevin dust to treat the carpet and upholstery of a house with animals that had mites, but these drugs are pretty toxic and I would use them with extreme caution.

Sorry I reacted so strongly. I was just checking new posts in the Infirmary before I ran out the door and didn't read it thoroughly. However, reinforcing that Frontline shouldn't be used in rabbits is never a bad idea, just so it's totally clear to everyone! ;)

tonyshuman wrote:
Sorry I reacted so strongly. I was just checking new posts in the Infirmary before I ran out the door and didn't read it thoroughly. However, reinforcing that Frontline shouldn't be used in rabbits is never a bad idea, just so it's totally clear to everyone! ;)

Very true :). And yeah I've done that too :p

:whistlingI just didn't want you thinking I've used or will use Frontline on bunbuns lol!

Jen

Thanks for all the info! I haven't looked at the website yet but I will look as soon as I get home. I called the vet but they weren't open today (they close for surgeries) so I will call tomorrow. The infestation at work is terrible. I want to treat my rabbits even if they don't have it, as a precaution. I don't want them to have to go through what I'm going through. I'm so itchy :(

Back