recycling litter/cage waste

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbaxter

Reaction score
How do all you guys dispose of paper and hay ,i confess to folding up the newspaper and putting it out for recycling ,not sure if there`s any hazard in doing that.

The hay, some i compost ,but really there`s way too much to get rid of it all like that ,some i burn in the incinerator.

Some i dump over the back wall,only because we back onto waste ground which is actually a nature reserve they only cut grass in some areas the rest is left ,ie if a tree falls they`ll leave it for insect and wildlife to live in/on,anyway sounds bad but where i throw it, is down to the base of a tree heavily overgrown and it is biodegradable.

How on earth do rehoming centre`s get rid of theirs?:?

I use newspaper, aspen which I buy by the bale as horse bedding from Mills Fleet Farm, and hay. I compost the hay. I use the newspaper as weed block and put it around the base of my plants, then I put the aspen on top of the paper for mulch. Then I water it well to get rid of the pee smell.

I just use a little hay at the edge of my litter box, just enough for them to munch on, but not enough to create a problem for me.

I use a compressed wood pellet for my litter. Some hay and the buns also like to rip up phone books in their cages.

I have a local gardener that comes and picks up my waste. I used to have someone else picking up my waste before I moved, and I know he composted most of it and used the rest for mulch around the rose bushes. The new guy I think has a big acreage and a huge vegetable garden.

I do know that rabbit poop composts very fast and makes great fertilizer. Just make a pile with the waste, turn it occasionally and put it on the garden once broken down. You can even dig it into the garden bed uncomposted.

-Dawn

We just throw it away :-( But there's only one small bun and we only change his box twice a week, so there's not much waste.

When he stays with our friends, they put all of the used litter in a compost heap. I'd love to do that, but we're in an apartment without our own yard. Once we have a house I'll definitely start a compost pile.

I use shavings in the trays/bottom of the cages at the moment, and I just dump them at the very back of my yard. Some pooh and hay is mixed in, because I can't get all of it.

For any good poohs that I'm able to get my hands on, I put them in a manure bucket, and eventually I will sell it once we get alot. :)

For hay, we try to seperate as much as we can from the shavings/pooh and then we burn it. Not a very good way of recycling it, but it works for now.

In Spring I'm hoping to fence in the back part of my yard where I dump the shavings, etc. and get some chickens to put out there. They will help to compost the shavings, hay, pooh, and then the hay that we usually burn we can give to them to eat/use as bedding as long as it's clean.

Emily

I use heimp shavings, straw pellets, straw and hay. In summer I used to throw loads of it onto a large compost heap mixed with grass clipping or I dug a good bit directly into the soil and it broke down quite well. as everythng has slowed down now I collect it in large plastic bags and will deliver it to an organic farmer who has the facility to compost it. The only thing that gets to me is using all these black plastic sacks for storage. The biodegradable ones are just really expensive and I fill up about 2 a week.

aurora369 wrote:
I use a compressed wood pellet for my litter.
I use wood pellets too. I scoop out the wet portion of the litter anddispose it in a plastic grocery bag. Whenthe plasticbaggets full in 5 - 7 days I toss it out in the garbage can.

ok thanks everyone i`ve got some pets at home wood pellets but am unsure if they are the safe ones as they say pine scented?

Latest posts

Back