Recommendations?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StitchLover

Reaction score
So I'm getting my first bunny on Saturday and was wondering what everyone would recommend for food and water containers and bedding. I'm leaning towards a bowl for the water because I've seen rabbits that always have a hard time with the bottle. Any advice is welcome. Thanks :D

I far prefer bowls for water. You can get ones that attach to the cage so they can't be knocked over or tipped. Most stores will have something like this in the small mammal area, but also check the bird aisle. I would recommend at least 20oz as it is big enough that you don't have to always fill it but not huge.
For a food dish, either get one that can attach to the cage or a ceramic bowl. Plastic is easily chewed and thrown around. Ceramic is heavy and harder to throw around. You can try a dollar store for a cheap bowl.

For bedding, I recommend wood pellets in the litter box and fleece or towels in the rest of the cage. If you litter train, you only need litter in the litter box. Wood pellets are cheap and effective, a 40 pound bag costs around $5 and you don't need a lot. Most rabbits don't like to have nothing on the bottom of the cage, so a fleece blanket or a towel is good.

I use bowls. Just didn't want to bother with bottles. I've been lucky, only one used to stand in their water bowl, and now drags it to her. Other than that one, I've never had a problem with them spilling it, turning over, pooing or peeing in them.

Regarding litter box, I use ECO bedding, plus put hay in their litter boxes. It's recycled paper and goes right into the compost. Don't need much and with the hay, litter box training went well.

Some get towels, some get cardboard. Some just like the cool plastic. Hay mats are good though.

K:)

A feed store should have wood pellets. They would be horse stall bedding. Some also have wood stove pellets. Both are basically the same. If you go for the wood stove pellets, make sure there are no accelerants added.

I use both a bottle and a bowl. At first I just used the bottle but it keep dripping so I just added a bowl under it to catch the dripping. My bunny loves to drink from both and has never knocked over the bowl (but he's kinda lazy :p). For the litter I use disposable cat litter boxes and line the bottom with a plastic to make them last longer and fill them with either pine chips or recycled paper cat litter. The litter boxes work great for bunnies because they are made of hard paper and my bunny chews them and grinds his teeth which saves me money at the vet.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000MD3MDW/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Good luck with your new friend!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back