Received my first rabbit bite

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happi Bun

Reaction score
One of the rabbits at the rescue has decided he wants to be a bad bunny now. So lately when I go to put hay in his cage, he lunges and boxes. Today I wasn't paying attention while filling his hay rack and before I knew it I had been bitten! :shock:Surprisingly, it didn't hurt that bad. Rabbit's could obviously do serious damage to a humans hand when they bite, but he didn't use full force because it broke the skin just a tiny bit. Of course it got all red and swollenish because I just have sensitive skin like that.

Ah, well. It's worth it! Wont be making that mistake again though. :D

I never had a rabbit bite before I started volunteering at the shelter. My first (and you notice I say my first) bite way so bad that my arm was bruised from elbow to wrist and had a huge lump for the longest time, even after the bruising was gone. I've learned to be a lot more careful until I've evaluated a new bunny.

That sucks. Trust me they can hurt! And they can be pretty nasty! I have come close to getting the tips of my fingers knawed off a couple of times from angry rabbits!

Received my first rabbit bite

Maybe you were just being initiated into the bunny club by the bunny...kinda like joining the Friars' Club (only I don't think the Friars actually bite each other). :p

I received la few nips and bites when I was younger...to this day both of my hands have scars from rabbits who were stressed in some way. Oh, and one finger that got chewed up pretty badly when I was around 8...but that one wasn't a rabbit. Our family cat had a highly sensitive tail and I touched it. My poor mom was getting ready for church when she heard me scream; she came running into the kitchen to find me on the floor, blood pouring out of my finger and all over my dress. :shock: (But hey, there was a bonus, it got me out of having to go to Sunday School that day. ;))

One thing I can say about a rabbit bite: If they really grab hold, it HURTS! To me it feels like getting sliced with a razor blade. ouch....

One word: YEE-OWWW!!

I was bitten by one of our flemmies last week when we were doctoring her ouchy eye. She did not like that! Got a pretty serious bite between the palm of my hand and the 1st knuckle of my index finger. When I SCREECHED, the kids came running up from the basement because they thought there must be an intruder in the house! Kinda funny, now...not at all, then.

I've only been bite once and it was only a nibble from Merin because I wasn't watching and she was eating food from my hand. It took me by surprise though like you! Slavetobunny, wow that must of hurt soooo bad!:shock:

Aly!:)

Yeah, rabbit bites can be veeery unpleasant. I have one little lop buck that was given to me by his former owner when she was moving. Anyway, he was a year old, uneutered, and had never been around does before he came to my place. Add to that the fact that I didn't constantly feed him junk treats like his former owner, and he was one unhappy boy. He managed to get me twice--the second time he latched onto the lower joint on my thumb, and hung there. I was literally shaking my hand and yelling, and he just swung there until I sat/dropped down on the floor and he let go. After that, I wore leather gloves to handle/feed him....:shock:

I have a scar from a bite Bo gave me one time. He can be mean! the kids say he IS a mean rabbit and they don't get bitten! He bites me cause he knows I react.

Anyhow, Tony is aggressive around his cage. He's nipped me before so now, I make him get back, and I put my one hand on his head while I put his feed in. Then I pet him and sometimes he gets a treat. It works great! Infact, he's started to flatten out for headrubs when I go to his cage door LOL!

Awww... glad the bite wasn't too bad. Yeah, they can inflict some serious damage. (Stop staring at my scars!!!!)

It's hard on the bunnies in rescue. So much may have happened in such a short amount of time. They finally get a nice clean cage with a steady food supply and they want to defend it. Can't really blame them.

Maybe with a little steady care and compassion, he'll come around. (Ummm... and exercise caution!)

BlueGiants wrote:
It's hard on the bunnies in rescue. So much may have happened in such a short amount of time. They finally get a nice clean cage with a steady food supply and they want to defend it. Can't really blame them.
:yeahthat:

Toby does the "it's my cage, stay out" thing. He is territorial when I feed him now, too (when he's out of the cage). He stopped biting through skin, but somehow, he always manages to break a blood vessel now and give me a nasty-looking bruise. He doesn't bite hard, either! It's crazy!

I hope he cools down a bit, or that you may get quicker (ninja reflexes). :D

I've had little things like the teeth touch my fingers when I was hand feeding but instantly go away when I wasn't yummy sunflower seeds.

I've never actually been bitten properly, like it has never broken skin or anything. I have been nibbled a little bit by Dippy when he was scared of the wind he bit my neck :?

BlueGiants wrote:

Maybe with a little steady care and compassion, he'll come around. (Ummm... and exercise caution!)

So true! Maxwell has never been aggressive before, we think he just needs more attention. Which lets face it... it's not an easy task when they have 20+ bunnies! So I will give him some extra TLC and see if he comes around. :)

Muffin loves to lick our toes and every now and then he will give a gentle nip, like he just checking to see if we're edible yet...

Anna likes to bite bums.

So if you ever come to my house, don't get down on your hands and knees in front of her, otherwise you'll receive a bunny goose. :biggrin2:

Latest posts

Back