rebellious bun

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hellofascination

Reaction score
My Betsy is about 10 months old, and was spayed back in November. Before she was spayed, she would pee on my bed frequently. I couldn't stand it, and I knew I wanted to get her fixed anyways. So, she was fixed and for awhile, the problem stopped.

I don't know if it's relevant, but around the time she was spayed I began watching 3 chinchillas for a friend. They are still here. The chinchillas do not seem to like her, and she seems indifferent, so they get separate play times in my room. Their cages are next to each other in my room.

I AM SURE Betsy knows not to pee on my bed. She knows the word "no" and when I say it forcefully, she stops what she's doing. At first, all I did was say "no" pick her up and then put her in her litter box and close up the cage. That wasn't working, so while I didn't like to, I flicked her nose and then followed the previous steps. That wasn't working either, so I bought a spray bottle and she is squirted with water when she pees, and then the other steps are followed. That isn't working.

I know she knows she is doing something wrong because as soon as I see her pee and say "NO" she runs away trying to avoid being put back in her cage, flicked, squirted, ect. I am out of ideas both as to why she is doing this and how to fix it. I am more than happy to elaborate on any other factors that may exist, I listed all the things I could think of.

Sorry for the long post, all help is appreciated!

I would highly discourage nose flicking as a discipline tactic. The only "physical" discipline I personally believe can be used is pressing the head down like a momma does to a kit, but that's only in biting cases really. Nose flicking is a human aggressive act that I would be willing to bet would never produce results you are wanting. Her running from you after she pees does not mean she "gets it". It means she gets that you scare her. Try running towards her to flick her or or act as if you will spray her while she's just sitting there. You will get the same result. There is no connection with her peeing on your bed. She doesnt know not to pee there.
I agree with Larry and restrict bed access. I'm telling you, even with buns with the most stellar litter habits, there is something about beds.They are soft and smell like us. I'm not sure it's a trait that can always be broken so restriction is the best solution.

Last edited:
thank you all! I was thinking of blocking off the bed, I just wanted to avoid it because she only has free range (when I'm home) in my room. The bed takes up A LOT of the space in it. I have read and heard a lot of conflicting views about spray bottles, flicking ect. I hated the idea, but like i said i couldn't think of anything else. I think i will just be sticking to "NO" based on these responses. When i do that i dont move or anything, just look at her and say it once. I'm always making sure she gets positive reinforcement when she pees in her litter box, chews on things she's allowed to, ect. i get lots of kisses so i'm fairly certain (hoping :p) she still loves me. my ultimate goal is to have her be able to roam my room even when i'm not home, as to not be cooped in a cage all day. However, i'm thinking that is a long ways off.

Honestly even altered buns for some reason like to pee on blankets and soft materials... Especially the bed!! It's got to do with the fact that there is a very strong human scent on it and she would prefer it to be hers :)

Good luck!

I don't really think the nose flicking idea is the greatest. The only time I've really done it was one time when my first rabbit years ago bit all the way through my finger nail (it was very serious, ended up bleeding a lot, and hurt like none other). For whatever reason, that did it and she never bit again. But, sicne then I have found it is much too aggressive, and the bunny doesn't learn why it's being hit but learns to resent you. Usually when its something like peeing, you have such a short time to catch them in the act, they wouldn't connect why they are getting hit and are scared of you.

My Conan has this one 4sq ft area in the pet room that he obsessively pees and poops in. I mean he has excellent litter skills, but in that area he does flying binky poops and pees constantly. I tried everything, vinegar, soap, no's, hand clapping and finally I just gave up and sealed off the area. After a few months I tried again, but again same thing. Sometimes they just get it in their head a spot and there is very little you can do about it.

My dog likes to pee on my bed so he no longer has bed privilages. It's a territory thing, he just wants it to smell like him and not my boyfriend. I wouldn't even tell her no. She may associate peeing with you in the room or nearby as a negative event, and that could lead to her not peeing in the litter box and possibly peeing in spots you wouldn't notice to hide it.

Just place her back in her cage when she does it, no fuss and move on. I find that time outs can be effective. Dogs are different obviously, but mine knows that if he chases the cat he ends up in the kennel (his favorite place anyway) and he wants to be with his people. So he doesn't chase the cat. The same may apply to Betsy if she wants to have her free time, she can't pee outside the litter box. I don't know if rabbits can make associations like that, but you could try it.

Latest posts

Back