reasons for tooth grinding other than pain

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taykelly11

Reaction score
Hi Guys
Last week Bandit I noticed that Bandit started making some grinding noises which concerned me, but he has shown 0 signs of pain besides this. He is eating, drinking, going to the bathroom, running, binkying ect. I haven't noticed him hunched over, whenever he's relaxing he's either flopped out or in the meatloaf position. I've read that tooth grinding can mean relaxation or being happy, since there are no other signs of illness could this be it? I would just hate to waste money going to the vet if there is no real concern. I've also check him out, feeling over his body and checking his ears and teeth and he didn't react to anything so I couldn't find the cause of any "pain." The grinding doesn't last long, usually for just a few minutes, any advice or opinions would help, thanks!

Usually a rabbit will tooth purr when you are petting it, and it's generally a softer sound, and it's usually a stop and go purr as you are petting, and once you stop petting, they stop purring. I don't think they will tooth purr with out being petted at the same time. Tooth grinding is usually a louder more consistant sound. And would happen with him sitting on his own. Does he lay down with his butt pushed up like he's pressing his belly into the ground, or lay down and get right back up a lot like he's uncomfortable and trying to find a position of comfort? What are his poops like? Are they normal or are there any really small ones, irregular, or soft poops? What do you feed him? What amount and kind of pellets and hay? And what veggies and treats?

I haven't noticed him laying with his bottom pushed up, he flops down and lays there for a while or until I move and he'll pop up and walk with me. His poops are normal, he eats pellets, timothy hay and his treats are either dark leafy green lettuce, cilantro and a baby carrot once in a while. He runs to his food and eats right away so I dismissed any tooth pain and it's not GI stasis, he had that once before so I know what that's like.

What's he doing during the grinding?

It doesn't sound like pain, generally if they are in enough pain to be doing that you'd seem other signs.

typically he's laying down but not in a hunched position, he actually looks comfortable. I heard him doing it the other night but it was dark and his cage was covered so I'm not too sure.

I have a rabbit whom I'm currently working on GI stasis with, and I notices she ONLY tooth grinds when I make her ingest something she doesn't like the taste of which is the metacam, and gas drops. But that's obviously not the case here with your bun.

typically he's laying down but not in a hunched position, he actually looks comfortable. I heard him doing it the other night but it was dark and his cage was covered so I'm not too sure.

That sounds more like contented tooth purring than tooth grinding to me. Scone MacBunny used to do that, just quietly grind his teeth when he was particularly happy with the world - when he was ill and in pain, you could hear the grinding across the room.

Latest posts

Back