Rear end troubles

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taylortots

Reaction score
Hi. I have a 3 year old female lion head.
Over the winter she got a bit neglected and had a big ball of poo matted with her fur really close to her bum. I cut as much off as I could then bathed and massaged the rest out. This took 3 days to completely do. This was about a week and a half go.
Ive just gotten her out for some bonding time as she's becoming more anti social. She has now again got clumps of poo forming. We havnt changed her food. Just wondering what to do or if anyone has any advice.
Thanks x

If she is having a problem with mushy poo, it can be several things. One is If her diet is too rich and has too much protein she could have a minor imbalance in her gut flora. So first thing to try is cut back her pellets and feed more Hay for fibre. The feeding ratio for adult rabbits is about 75%-80% hay, and only 10% pellets and 10%-15% veg. So, make sure you cut her pellets back to only around 10% and give her lots and lots of hay.

If feeding more hay less pellets doesn't work... there may be something else wrong with her, she could have a protozoa infection called coccidiosis, or a bacterial infection like e.coli in her system. There could also be something wrong with her hay or pellets like mould. It could even be something in the water supply. All those things are explained here http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Generalities/Enteritis_en.htm
If her poo keeps sticking to her bottom then you really need to take her to a vet to find out what the underlying issue is.

Latest posts

Back