Really need cage / run advice

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ParkersMum

Reaction score
Hi, I'm very much a new rabbit owner & got my first one at the end of Nov: a little boy boy called Parker who's about 4/5 months old & lives indoors.

We have a 100cm cage that the pet store said was a perfect for him which I really don't agree with after looking on this site. We also have a 48"x48" run which again the pet store recommended (see photo). He spends about 4-5 hours a day out of his cage & until now mainly in the run, as my house has only just become completely bunny-proof (not the easiest thing to do especially over Xmas with young kids). He often free roams when my kids are in bed though & I'm on my own so I can constantly watch him.

I'm about to buy him a new 140cm cage & a larger run (biggest I can find is 55"x55" for when the kids are home from school until they're used to him free roaming - I'm mainly worried about small toys & them opening/shutting doors. Would that cage & run be ok for now mixed with free roaming on an evening?

Any other tips/advice would be fab! Sorry for the long post I just want everything too be perfect for him :bunnydance:

http://cdn.rabbitsonline.net/images/2/1/1/8/1/image2-9097.jpeg

http://cdn.rabbitsonline.net/images/2/1/1/8/1/image3-9098.jpeg
(ignore the background I'm just about to clean out his cage)

Last edited:
The run is a little small, but if it's only temporary I suppose it's not too big of an issue. You could also make the run bigger by putting it against a wall or corner of a room (if you have the space) He looks to be a smaller rabbit so the cage could be ok, my concern is that he may still have some growing to do. Otherwise if he's getting a lot of free roaming time, the cage is probably alright. :) Have you considered DIY cages such as NIC cages? https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...ved=0ahUKEwjhmaOXpozKAhVk56YKHd0hCAIQ_AUIBigB they're good because you can custom fit them to your space and if you have space for a 140cm cage, with an NIC cage you can add another level effectively doubling the amount of space he has. If that's not an option, that's fine, just thought I would suggest it :)

I agree with Azarene. I just hopped on to show a sample of what she meant by making using of a wall for one side of the exercise pen. It can greatly increase the area -- even more so if you use a corner (and if you have the place for it). The one in the photo provides at least double the square footage of the same pen if just arranged in a circle.

sams x pen.jpg

Thanks to the both of you for the replies! I definitely see what you mean about opening the run up, it gives so much more space & something I'll be trying out today :D

My only question is how to you keep it secure against the wall so that he doesn't escape?

I have looked at NIC cages but sadly I live in a rented house & the landlord will only agree to 'proper' cages :(

For keeping it secure against the wall (without attaching it with hooks because of it being a rental) you can get a little creative.

Using mine as an example, you can see that on the right side, the end is pinched between the piece of furniture and the large litter box.
On the left side. it is more difficult to see. But I have a 14" square porcelain tile just inside the cage there. I have found bunnies tend to bite and pull the cage wall toward themselves, rather than push it. Since the cage is on carpet, it isn't easy to push, but the tile prevents it from being pulled.

Bunny also likes to lay on the cool tile sometimes.

One word of caution would be to keep any cardboard boxes away from the pen wall to prevent escapes over the wall.

Thanks for the reply Blue Eyes :)

I'm now letting him run freely on a day basis around the living room instead of using the run he was in as him & wont be buying a bigger run either. Him & my kids have all coped brilliantly sharing the space - I was worried about doors, small toys & him eating any of their stuff - if anything he's become a bit to addicted to my son & now tries follows him everywhere lol

Just got to try & solve the pooping everywhere issue now lol.

Latest posts

Back