re-naming an adult rabbit..

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mamafern

Reaction score
north vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
we are adopting a 4 year old "pet" bunny who is named "rabbit"
would it be totally confusing to rename him? my son wants to name himbat-bunny (will the obsession with super heroes ever end?), but i ammore inclined or nutmeg or something..he is mostly chocolate brown witha black face. i believe that he knows his name and responds to it...

I don't know how he'll react to a name change, but I'm guessing it won't be too much of a huge change. :)

I swear both my girls think their names are 'Treats'. ;)

If he knows his name already, that might make ittough. It's usually better if the new name sounds like orrhymes with the old one. Good luck though, andcongratulations on the new bunny.

We called our bun all sorts of nicknames!! Myson (who was technically his owner) called him "Little Hoppy Hoppy" aname he'd already selected before choosing his bun (he'd wanted a bunfor months...)

I used to call him all sorts of things (which I do to all my pets, andkids too...): Wunny, Wunnle, Wubble, Wubblet, Bunnle... "Bunny WubbleLots Of Trouble", you name it, he got called it!!

So, I'm not sure that it really matters what you call your bun :)

Fiona

Names don't matter. I could call my bunnies nameall day, but I rustle a bag and I have her full attention. You couldalways name him Russel!

~Star~

It's okay to rename an adult. Loki wasabout a year old when I adopted him and I changed his name.Fey and Sprite were adults too, but I doubt they ever learned theiroriginal names in the first place, considering the owner didn't knowwhich one was supposed to be named which. My foster bun isjust now starting to respond to his name.

My rabbits do know their names because I use them a lot. Forexample, if Mocha and Loki are out playing and I yell "Mocha!" becauseshe's being naughty, Mocha stops what she's doing and Loki doesn't evenflinch. It works the other way around too. But Ithink they'd easily learn new names from a new owner. They'rereally smart. Too smart for their own good sometimes.

Does he actually respond to ''rabbit"?

A heard a story of a woman...who always wanted children. She alwayssaid she wanted a baby girl, and she would name her "Whatever; I dont'remember the name. For the sake ofthe story, She wanted to name herlittle girl Rachel.

Well, turns out she couldn't have a child. To console herself, she went out and bought a dog, and named her Rachel.

Time passed...and the woman became *drumroll* pregnant! With a littlegirl. Oh snap, she used the good name on the dog. So she soughtt headvice of some dog preson and was like '' oh em gee I want to name mykid my dog's name but I can't have two Rachels"

Dog person said, well, here's what you do. Start calling you dogRachelu, when she gets used to that and responds to that, start callingher rachelulu. When she gets that down, start calling her Lulu. Ta-da!Name therapy.

Latest posts

Back