Re bonding my rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucys02

Reaction score
Hello! I apologise in advance for the very lengthy post but this is my first time bonding/rebonding rabbits and I don’t want to get it wrong!

I will start with giving some background info on my boys. I have 2 male rabbits who are now 4 months. They are brothers and they have been kept together in an outdoor hutch and run since I got them.

Last week they had a fight so I separated them and have had them neutered. After the surgery they have been in my living room in separate pens but side by side so they can still see and smell each other due to them needing to recover in the warm and not outside. I understand after neutering they still need to be separated for 1-2 months.

Their hutch outside is a 2 story hutch with a run attached. I can separate the top from the bottom so during the night they aren’t together so aren’t at Risk of fighting and during the day I had put a removable mesh fence separating the bottom level with 2 runs side by side so they can still see each other in between bonding sessions.

My question/problem is when I separate them at night (one on the top and one on the bottom) will it hinder the bonding process As they can’t see each other?

I could leave them both on the bottom level during the day and night but my concern is when the run is closed off during the night the space wouldn’t be very big at all as I would have to keep the mesh fence in place.

If anyone has any advice that would be much appreciated as I am worried about not getting this process right.

Thank you :)

I don't think separating them at night will be an issue.

How long has it been since their neuter? Where do you plan on bonding them? Are you planning to do bonding sessions or do the immersion method of bonding where they are put together and monitored 24/7?

The best approach to bonding can vary depending on the individual personalities of the pair. What works well with one pair may not work as well for others. It's one of those things that will need to be re-assessed as different approaches are used.

Hello and thank you so much for your reply!

It’s on been a few days since their neuter so they are still inside at the moment and I won’t be starting any bonding until at least 4 weeks.

I will probably do bonding sessions as unfortunately I cannot watch them 24/7 because of work but I will be spending a good amount of time everyday to work with them. I haven’t decided where I will do it but as I’ve been researching it states a neutral place. It’s my first time doing this so I will see how things go and makes changes if needed :)

Will you be able to keep them indoors for the whole bonding process? That would probably be ideal. That way they can remain side-by-side as they are now whenever they aren't being bonded. The neutral space can be anywhere in your home that they are not currently (bathrooms often work well).

Once they are well bonded, they should remain together in that bonding space for a couple weeks. Then they can be moved to their permanent home. In your case, this also means putting them out when the weather is warmed up -- better since they are now getting used to indoor temperatures.

Here's some more on bonding (from my website):
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/bonding-bunnies.html

Latest posts

Back