Rayu my mini lop or rex not sure poop looks different

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhyMista

Reaction score
So today and yesterday I noticed that some of her droppings are clumped together and moist looking. Shes just as active and eating and actually is more outgoing than when we got her 3 days ago.

Is this something serious. She doesn't have anything on her bum either.
Could it be that she laid in her urine the other day and when I was trying to wash her she didn't completely dry and it just stuck them together. Its only two I've seen like that the rest look normal.

Could they be cecals? They look a bit like bunches of grapes. Those are the poos that they are supposed to eat, so if she is having excess ones then something may be amiss in her diet.

What is her diet?

I did forget that I added some regular grass hay to her diet that I got from a horse farmer and had a bit of celery the other day.

Other than that shes been a lot more active, stopped stomping, and she has started nipping and nudging me when she wants to be petted and has licked my nose, arm and ears to return the favor

I've only seen two of them so far and they do look like grapes. The rest of them look like normal ones.

She is 4months old, eats some regular grass hay, alfalfa hay and alfalfa based pellets along with several hours running around in the house and we'll give her some romaine lettuce and a small bit of celery.

PICT0176.jpg

Here is a pic of her. Trying to see what she is. Maybe a mix a lop and something else.

If you want to know what she is maybe post that pic in the Rabbitry with info like her weight and age. It vcan be hard to determine the breeds of some buns until they are fully grown though, so you may not know for a while, or she may be a mix.

In terms of the diet, I had a clutch of young buns that had excess cecals, so I limited their pellets to the most they could tolerate. Most people say that they need unlimited feeding of pellets until they are 6 months old, so some people may have disagreed with me doing that, however, my 7 are now nearly 2 years old and have been very healthy so far. It might be that your bun might need some diet adjustment to help her stop producing those. It might be more hay is needed, or different types, etc. Someone better with diet will come along soon I'm sure :)

Oh ok well is only been one or two of them and the rest have been normal. I'll post over in that section to figure out what she is.

Thanks a lot. As long as its normal that makes me feel better. I may try cutting down on pellets while I increase her hay and vice versa till I figure out what she really likes and what makes her poop look good.

Like her pellets are a nice color and she doesn't have anything on her fur.

:) The type of poo is normal, but it's not 'right' to have excess cecals. If that were me I would gradually cut down on pellets to find out the highest amount she can tolerate and shovel hay into her cage like no tomorrow because rabbits tend to want to eat fresh, new smelling hay over hay that has been there for a while.

If you cut down her pellets remember to keep readjusting as she grows so that she is always eating the maximum possible that her gut can tolerate.

Ahh ok thats good to know. What is "typical" for rabbits of her size which I'd say is less than 4lbs.

I'll definitely up the hay and cut down on the pellets.

This site is great and really quick to respond.

Rayu says thanks to all of you

In addition to what Tracy has told you I would cut out the plain grass and celery and other veggies completely for now.also
Idon't know what breed she is

except if "cuteness" is a breed :)

Ok I'll do that. Those have been the only two changes made to her diet. I dotn know why some people including my roommate thing bunnies that aren't pure white, black or brown are ugly:(

Since she's 4mos I think I'm going to start introducing timothy and orchard hay into her diet. I'm thinking of buying in bulk like 10-15lbs since its like 19 dollars but will it go stale after a while?

Thanks again

If you buy hay in bulk, put it in a large plastic bin that seals--can be had from Wal-mart. Your bunny is still young and growing, so you should probably give her alfalfa for two more months for the extra calcium needed for bone growth and development. The cecals that are being dropped are normal--they are the ones that have been condensed down by the digestion and usually get eaten again. My vet says to give our rabbits that size a cup of fresh veggies and unlimited hay--he doesn't like the use of pellet food at all. We split up the veggies into a morning and an evening group so that they don't eat too much at one sitting.

Ok well that's good to know. So should I cut out the regular grass hay? I am going to buy another bag of alfalfa for now and its just ziptied shut.

What veggies would you suggest for her that young.

Well I just saw she had diareha. It wasn't much and there wasn't any on her tail.

I took all the hay out of her cage and just put alfalfa everywhere.

Also what could I use to clean her since she peed and got some on her paws and tail and I don't want her to end up getting sick.

It doesn't sound like she's ready for veggies yet. Wait a few months before you start to introduce them. I'd also start with veggies with a lower water content, like lettuce or parsley, rather than celery.

If she has diarrhoea then I would pull back to no veges, like both angieluv and tonyshuman said, and push any type of hay she will eat, and just minimum pellets until her tummy settles. If it gets worse then a vet trip may be in order.

How is she doing now?

She's doing better. No more diareah or the cecal pellets. She's eating hay and I lowered the pellet amount.

Any suggestions on getting rid of urine on her fur? We tried dove unscented soap but she still smells and you can see it on her coat.

How so. Just put cornstarch on her and what. I've heard about the dry shampoos but have no idea how they work.

Back