Rash-type patches

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magick_mogwai

Reaction score
I was just grooming Gandalf, my fulminant or arrived this morning and I went to town on him for as long as he allowed because he's leaving clouds of fluff everywhere, and when I got to his bum area I noticed a strange rash-like path on either side of his penis in the folds of skin. Examining it it looks a bit like when I used to get eczema as a child - it's flaky and reddish and slightly wet looking. Can rabbits get eczema? Should I take him to the vets? It doesn't smell bad but it does look a little worrying.
He is eating and behaving just like normal so I don't think it's bothering him.

image.jpg

I'm honestly stumped on this one, but maybe someone else has some insights. I'd definitely get him to the vet - it's not an emergency or anything (and I don't see it being a problem to wait until Monday if that's the next available appointment), but it's never a bad idea to get something like that checked out to make sure it's nothing serious!

My one thought, which might negate the need for a vet trip, is that it could be an anal gland in need of cleaning... I don't know how that would look (especially on a male) to compare to the photo, though, and anal glands are usually stinky so if it doesn't smell at all then the anal gland thought is a long shot.

Don't think this is the anal gland as it looks too big although don't know how big the bunny is. I haven't got a clue what is could be but maybe worth the vet having a look just to be safe.

It sounds like you are describing the scent glands. Slits on either side of the anal opening, and there is a waxy substance in there that may be a bit moist or flaky, but usually it's very smelly. Unless it's red and inflamed, it sounds normal to me.

http://brighteyessanctuary.org/educ/rabbit-info-scent-glands.html
http://rabbit.org/how-to-clean-a-rabbits-scent-glands/

I checked on the net and yes it was his scent glands. I had no idea they needed cleaning but it looks like I'm not the only one. It didn't smell too much until I started cleaning and then the smell sort of built. But at least it's done now and in future I know what to smell/look for. Thinking back I've got a whiff of it lately and couldn't place it, just kept thinking it was his litter. He was a good bunny having it done and is now chomping on some carrot as a reward :happyrabbit:

I'm glad to hear it was an easy fix! :)

Yeah, a lot of people don't realize those are down there until they get a good whiff of skunk and onions, and wonder where that nasty smell is coming from. Surely not that cute fluffy bunny :p

I remember reading up about anal glands needing cleaning sometimes, but had no idea they looked like that. This thread has been a good reference!

Glad it was just that, it just looked so big, maybe cos mine are so small so just like two tiny slits. They are definitely yukky but easy to clean. They do smell though, a bit skunky I think :rolleyes:

It didn't smell too much until I started cleaning and then the smell sort of built. But at least it's done now and in future I know what to smell/look for. Thinking back I've got a whiff of it lately and couldn't place it, just kept thinking it was his litter.

Ahhh, so I was half-right, lol. Didn't realize there might not be a smell until after you started cleaning them.

I'm glad it was something so simple and he doesn't have to go to the vet or get icky medication or anything... just had to have his bootie violated a bit in the name of proper hygiene :p.

Ahhh, so I was half-right, lol. Didn't realize there might not be a smell until after you started cleaning them.

I'm glad it was something so simple and he doesn't have to go to the vet or get icky medication or anything... just had to have his bootie violated a bit in the name of proper hygiene :p.

Lol. Yeah, when I tried to point it out to my boyfriend he was like 'hey stop messing with his junk!' I had to get someone else to hold him as he refused to be involved with 'messing with things a boys mum shouldn't be messing with'

Latest posts

Back