Rapid weight lost after spaying help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundbear

Reaction score
I recently had my bunny spayed maybe almost a month ago. I did not notice any weight lost until maybe a week or week and a half ago. She used to be quite plump but now Ican feel every single bone.
I have been feeding her a mixture of alfafa and timothy hay, and she eats and drinks normally. (always seems hungry).
She is about 10 month old dwarf hop.

I used to feed her pellets, but haven't for maybe half a month? I'm ordering new ones currently.
My question is what should Ido? Does the change in diet have such a major affect? Is it normal for post spayed bunnies to lose weight?
Should I wait for the pellets to arrive and feed her or should I take her to the vet asap?

Thanks. If anyone has any good vets in mind in the socal area, let me know. I'm not sure if my current one specializes in bunnies.

Sounds like something else going on besides the recent spay. You can add veggies to her diet. I would continue the hay. She may need the pellets to put weight back on. I would still have her checked over by a vet. Who did the spay?

I think there is a vet list posted. Good luck.

If all you are feeding is hay, it is not enough. She should be getting veggies every day, as well as pellets if she is underweight.

To give you an idea, I feed my 3 lb Holland Lop unlimited hay, plus 1/2 cup pellets and 2 cups veggies evey day. My Flemish (about 13 lbs) gets unlimited hay, plus 1 cup pellets and about 3 - 4 cups veggies daily.

A good rule to follow is abut 1 cup veggies per 2 - 4 lbs rabbit, and 1/2 cup pellets per 2 - 4 lbs of rabbit. This can be tweaked per individual rabbit based on breed and activity level.

Some people choose to go pellet-free, which is fine, but you need to supplement with more veggies.

I suspect the weight loss is more from the diet change than anything. Rabbits need more than just hay. If pellets are not being fed, they need large amounts of veggies in a good variety to provide the nutrients they need.

Get her back on a normal diet and give her a little time. If she continues to loose weight, go to the vet. If she maintains or gains weight, you have your answer.

Back