Random thumping!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arloismybunny

Reaction score
Arlo is 5 months old. I’ve had him for 3 months. I just came home from the store and he randomly starting thumping and he’s never done that before. My neighbors are playing music outside but they do this almost every night and he’s never reacted like this! It’s the only thing I can think of that might be stressing him out. How do I calm him down?

He’s still doing it! Not as much anymore but the music did stop!! I don’t know what to do!!

He likely smells or hears something you cannot perceive. You can try to distract him by giving h a treat or interacting with him, but he likely won't stop until he gets used to it or feels safe again. Usually it doesn't last very long because the "threat" goes away or the rabbit eventually calms down when they realize they aren't in danger. Notably, rabbits can be sensitive to owner vibes, so if you're emanating stress, it can impact him to be nervous.

My buns both thump, what seems to me, randomly. I'm sure they hear or smell something I can't. Rabbits are overly sensitive to the most minuscule changes, noises, smells. It's how they can anticipate danger in the wild.

Mine have no problems with the vacuum, the airplanes flying over, the motorcycles, or the noisy air conditioner. But occasionally they will "freak out", thumping and acting skittish to some perceived threat. I think the key here is "perceived". There might be nothing, but Arlo just has a "hunch".

Or my house is haunted. I assume rabbits can see ghosts, like cats can.

They also thump to show disapproval, but this thump is while seated and staring at me (or the other rabbit, whichever is needing disapproval), rather than alert, ears up, and skittering around.

Occasionally, they thump for attention. Lucas will come into a room and thump to announce his arrival, and to make sure I'm paying attention to him!

Excessive thumping can be stressful for the bun, though, depending on the cause, so I always make sure to comfort them (or distract them with a treat) if they look to be thumping on alert.

Rabbits are super-easy to understand! 😂 😂 😂

Just ignore the thumping once a legitimate reason, like a predator in the yard, is ruled out. If you act worried imho it becomes kind of a feedback loop.

I also sometimes give a treat and ignore the rabbit then, just act normal.

My bun thumps to greet me in the morning, when he’s excited as I’m preparing his food, or when he wants attention. It’s really loud when he wants attention. Maybe that’s what Arlo wants?
Mine will dig at me and jump on me to make sure I feed them in the morning. Shen will thump when he knows he's got caught going under my mother-in-law's bed and Xiao Wu will when annoyed or scared.

Latest posts

Back