Racer lives life in the fast lane!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

l.lai

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I thought it was time to start a blog because Racer was successfully neutered today. In 4 weeks time i'll start bonding him with my sisters minilop doe LeeHom. Over that time i'll be blogging on their progress to become forever friends@! I hope to be able to video their sessions together and hopefully get feedback from you guys on your thoughts.

In the meantime, meet my boy Racer! I've had him since September 5 2009, he was born on the 27th of June 2009.

I was worried that a Netherland Dwarf would be skittish and unfriendly. At first he was quite skittish but after about a week he started trusting me. Now he's grown into a very loving and affectionate bunny, when he hears strange noises he still jumps a little, but once he settles down again he'll jump on my chest for pats and lick my face for agesssssss!

He's very curious and when i give him run time but dont give him attention, he'll get up to mischief, he'll find ways to get past barriers into places he's not supposed to be in. He'll find holes, he'll pull boxes out of the way, he'll jump onto shelves and back down again into restricted areas. Once i sit on my bed or lie down again, he'll come hopping over for pats. He's a little attention seeker!

When i picked him up from his breeder:

He was just a little boy here, he was very brave in the car, sat there and didnt move or try to run!
05092009080.jpg

05092009081.jpg

In his playpen:

I know the pen isnt huge but i think he's quite a happy rabbit!
img2063g.jpg
img2063g.jpg

img2064pv.jpg

img2065t.jpg

img2068a.jpg

In my room:

He gets a lot of run time everyday and is pretty comfortable around me!
img0353rf.jpg

img0355pz.jpg

img0384b.jpg

img0390gc.jpg

My favourite shot!
img0388gy.jpg

Be back soon with more photos and an update on his neuter!

aww racer is soo cute. i love his fur color!! does he chew your carpet?

devilzzy wrote:
No carpet! Just anthing remotely cardboard or paper he can find he'll chew. Including magazines, folders, packaging anything!

What colour is yours?

He's pretty quiet after his neuter yesterday. He didnt eat his food last night, but he isnt licking his wound or anything. He's kinda just snuggling up in one corner and chilling out.

I gave him a slice of apple last night that he promptly eat, but he didnt touch his pellets or veggies.

This morning i changed his food and he didnt eat it, so i put the "metacam" that the vet gave me on a small piece of apple and he eat that up straight away. I hope the metacam makes him feel better.

When i held pellets up to him he eat 2 of them but on the 3rd he just turned away.

I left him in a quiet room with no light, hopefully he'll get more rest today and when i get home later tonight around 9pm i'll let him out for a small run on my bed.

See how he goes!

Thanks for the replied guys, i'll get some photos tonight of Racer and his recovery!

Hopefully he'll eat his food today!

l.lai wrote:
devilzzy wrote:
No carpet! Just anthing remotely cardboard or paper he can find he'll chew. Including magazines, folders, packaging anything!

What colour is yours?

donut's color is black otter.. with a few light brown areas. (;

Racer is ADORABLE-- I love him! XD He's such a pretty color. & he does look very happy in his playpen!

My vet told me that smaller breeds of rabbits can start out a bit higher strung (mine's a mini rex), so even if he's a little skittish now, I bet that will improve with age :)

Update: Today was the first day since the neuter that Racer looked remotely interested in food. Usually he'll see me in the morning and run right u to the playpen and paw at the gates because he knows he being fed.

Lately he's just been sitting in the corner and doesnt even look at his food.

Today he was moving around again and looking sorta hungry even though there were plenty of greens in his food bowl.

I bought 3 large bags of Oxbow Bunny Basics/T (Timothy hay pellets) because before his neuter he was on regular cheap leucerne pellets which he loved.

I wonder how much his reduced appitite has to do with the change in pellets from the leucerne to the timothy pellets.

Nonetheless he i watched him eagerly eat his pellets and carrot right up. I put some metacam on a piece of apple and fed that too him also.

Hopefully when i get home tonight from work his food bowl will be empty like it used to be!

Update:

Racer seems completely healed up now, last night he was jumping from the ground back up to my bed, and from the bed back onto the floor.

I have found that he's not eating the same way he used to, he eats most of his pellets but leaves a lot of the veggies behind, wheras he used to demolish all his food...

Would it be because he's no longer using as much energy from his lowered sex drive after his neuter?

I've also found that although he still licks my face occasionally its definately less than before the surgery so his affection levels have dropped slightly, he prefers to just flop down on the floor next to my bed..

Mmm.

hln917 wrote:
He is such a cutie! How did you get him to stay still in the car?
Well...good question, i doubt i could get him to stay still now, those photos were from the first time we met so he was probably pretty scared, he just sat on my lap the whole ride home!

He also pee'd twice.

Racer and LeeHom's 2nd bunny date!

2nd bonding session between my Netherland Dwarf buck "Racer" and my sisters Mini Lop X doe "LeeHom". It was a great success with them grooming each other around the 7min:30sec mark and the 9min:00sec mark.

Unfortunately i was unable to film their first bonding session.

Video:

[flash=425,344]http://www.youtube.com/v/LrqmGrbO6C8&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]

Aw that's so cute! I love the way the grey lop keeps putting his/her head down for a groom, like 'pplleeaaassee pretty pleeaaasseeeeeeee kiss me!' lol.
You can really tell who is the dominant one there.

Keep at it- it looks so promising!

Leehom looks so nervous poor girly, but it does look good so far!

Latest posts

Back