rabbits vs. ferrets

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanx after hearing about other homeless bunnies there seems to be the best way being a pitbull fan as way I can see how people feel about sheltered bunnies as there's a similar problem with pitbulls and I'd give the same advice

If you have a pittbull, or any other dog, please be very careful introducing the rabbit. Dogs have a much higher prey drive than many people think about.

You seem very smart and animal intuitive even if you don't have all the answers (none of us do, which is why we are here). Personally I think you will do great when you bring your new bun home. Being practical, attentive, and having support will be able to get you through any rough patches.

Thank you but honestly I'm scared because I really want a bunny but I have parents so when people are talking about there bunnies that pee and poop everywhere it scares me I just hope that the techniques everyone else uses would be successful I want to give my bunny a forever home

I adopted my bunny from someone who no longer wanted him. He was not litter box trained but cage trained and stuborn at that. I wanted him litter box trained so I could change his cage to something bigger so I started trying to get him to do his business where I thought he should. I finally put the box let him move it to where he wanted, which was the middle of the cage and then hooked it in. He Will now only use the same box even though it is to small so I placed it inside a bigger cat litter box which works for him now. He does not really leave any pills anywhere now and has most of the day free roam.

As for compared to ferrets, I have had ferrets for 10 yrs and never really had an issue with the stench but I kept one at a time and they all managed to litter box train....or more pick a corner and id put a box there and they'd use it lol. I have no stench with my bunny but I use wood stove pellets for litter and clean out his box daily since it is to small for him. With my ferrets I could wait 2 or 3 days and not have a problem.

I have also had several ferrets which I loved! But they have an odor very true, but so do dogs. A ferret smell is just different from other animals. The one thing I did not like about the ferrets was they're bathroom habits. While generally they were litterbox trained they still poop in corners and it's not easy to clean up like a rabbits poop is. Plus ferrets burrow into your furniture and they steal stuff. I had one that stole socks all the time and would hide them in the basement. I had zoo many single socks it was hilarious

Lol my ferrets would also steal my socks right off my feet I missem are rabbits as bad with there bathroom habits as ferrets or the ones ur talking about they sound closer to how mine behaved except my ferrets weren't even litter trained in the cage

I seriously love both rabbits and ferrets. If I didn't get so time-restricted (between work, school, and a social life), I would totally love to keep the ferret, Buster, that I just took in. I'd love to see it happen regardless, as my father seems to have fallen in love with this little guy. It was a case of neglect and utter disregard for Buster that landed me with him. The previous owner and his ex-girlfriend got him as a Christmas present. They split. One thing led to another and the guy was left with Buster. He was about to toss Buster on the streets when the friend who gave the ferret as a gift stepped in and took the little guy and what little belongings he had and brought him to the store I work at to give me him.

Both species have their pros and cons, really. I find myself much more able to handle the ferret smells and odors much more easily than rabbit smells. It seems like it's every 2-3 days that I have to clean up the rabbit droppings and pee-spots to keep the smell down.

But then there's the socializing and attention that ferrets seem to need a lot of. When I start up school again, I have very little me-time, which is why my heart aches over wanting a ferret. I also grew up being told all the negative things about ferrets, and so I never thought to give them a chance until I started my current job. I've fallen in love with them as much as I love my rabbits.

No doubt the two ferrets I had were my boys so adorable and really lovey dovey they played fetch and would roll over and beg on command really perfect but no matter wat kind of product I used my room was too smelly and my parents got sick of it plus I couldn't get them to stop pooping and peeing on my floor let it also be known I also owned 2

No doubt the two ferrets I had were my boys so adorable and really lovey dovey they played fetch and would roll over and beg on command really perfect but no matter wat kind of product I used my room was too smelly and my parents got sick of it plus I couldn't get them to stop pooping and peeing on my floor let it also be known I also owned 2

my experience was that the ferret cage/litterbox was much more stinky and a problem than the rabbits who really have no smell other than ammonia from the litterbox if its let go too long,plus any rabbit poops are alot easier to clean up over ferrets. but i do think ferrets have a more playful attitude. i have also found that rabbits and ferrets don't belong together, either one or the other

As far as odor goes, there are quite a few products available to ferret owners that are aimed specifically at ferrets for helping cut back on their natural odors.

The same applies to rabbits and the smell of their waste odors as well. Both rabbits and ferrets have the Bi-Odor product available. I had a customer inform me that it works extremely well with her rabbits. I'm not sure how well the ferret version works, but I can only assume it works just as well.

I haven't owned a ferret, but I have friends who do and they're far far smellier than my rabbits. Rabbits don't have any body odor like a ferret - to me bunnies smell like clean laundry or something. The only thing smelly is the pee, but that's contained to the litter box and really doesn't smell if you clean it out twice a week (I have two big boxes and only do them once a week - it's fine).

My pair is fixed and they've never had a problem with litter habits. My female has peed on things to mark them once or twice, mostly when she was new to our house, but otherwise is 100%. My male has never peed or pooped outside of his litter box ever in the two years I've had him. They do leave a couple little pills around their cage area (I find maybe 5-10 per day outside of the litter box) but they never leave any in the living room when they come out all evening. Not all bunnies are that good about it, but many are!

Thanx guys yeah I tried that bi odor stuff for the ferrets it sadly didnt work I plan on cleaning out the litter box every other day and whole cage once a week will that contain their pee smell and as much as I would like it all in the litter box a few poop pellets inside cage isn't a big deal as long as it's not on my floor

Back