Rabbits turned aggressive overnight

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gareth

Reaction score
Okay, so we have two male rabbits, both about 8 months old. They were neutered about a month ago (maybe more). They are normally pretty docile, and although they've chased each other the odd time I've never seen them behave aggressively toward each other. Until today. Yesterday they were fine, today they're like two feral animals - biting, scratching, grappling with each other, tufts of fur flying everywhere. I have no idea what's got into them. I have separated them for the time being. Does anyone know what could be going on with them? Hate to see them like this :(

hmm... they suddenly grew up?

Some rabbits are highly territorial and its impossible to say which when they are young.

Even neutered doesn't remove that completely.. and my guess is one of your boys suddenly realized he was a boy and ANOTHER BOY was in his space! He wanted him out and did his best to convince him to leave. The other either reached the same conclusion or had it forced upon him and since the space is shared had nowhere to run so decided to defend.

I agree with ladysown ; they may need to be permanently separated and if placed together should be supervised very closely as it is highly likely that it will happen again .

Agree with both comments above. I was wondering what they were doing housed together so soon after a neuter. After the neuter they should have been kept separate for up to 8 weeks. Then they would have needed to go through a bonding process in hopes that they might bond.

Unfortunately vets often don't understand this and advise people to put the rabbits back together right away. This is poor advice for the very reason you witnessed.

It was good that you separated them. Unfortunately the fight they had may prevent the possibility of them bonding. You could try keeping them apart for several weeks and hope they forget each other. Then you could try to begin the bonding process over. Read up on how to go about bonding. You'll need some space that neither rabbit has been in order to try bonding. And they'll need to be monitored closely. They may bond. They may not.

Just out of interest, is it usually better to have a male/female pair (neutered and spayed, of course) or even female/female pair together?

:yeahthat:We had a pair of females that came to us bonded and neutered. When they got to be around 8 years old they started fighting for real and we had to house them separately. Not the first time we've heard of a bonding breaking.

Latest posts

Back