Rabbits spending a lot of time under water bottle

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

u8myhouse

Reaction score
Bella & Onzlo's Bedroom, New Hampshire, USA
Lately, Onzlo and Bella have been sitting undertheir water bottle for most of the day. I'm worried because it dripsand I don't want them to haveto be wet all the time. I'vetried moving the water bottle several times, but they've moved with it.They aren't to warmor anything so I don't think it has to dowith getting cooled off. There are also cooler spots on the bottomfloor of the cage, out of the sun.

I'm basically looking to find out if it could be harmful for them, andif anyone has any suggestions to prevent them from doing it.

~Christine~

Normally they're more underneath it than this, but this is how they were this morning so...
IMG_4880Oring.jpg

Maybe it's a "comfort zone" for them. You know, like a kid with a blanky...

Justa thought, but it's the one thing that never changes in their cage.

Has there been upheaval/changes, anythinghectic or stressful going on in your life lately?

Raspberry

That's really strange...

But I second Raz's thoughts on them just being attached to it. Maybe ifyou got a second, different water bottle, they'd drink from that oneinstead? And you could leave their beloved bottle in there for them tosleep next to ;).

Or, make more places within the cage that never get messed with or moved around.

Just a suggestion, that does sound somewhat odd.

Are they as active as normal?

We've had a few rabbits develop bacterial skininfections from sitting under the water font, rubbing chin on it, orwetting their dewlap in the water dish.

It may help to raise the water font so they are not in direct contact with it.

Hair loss would be the first indication of a skin infection.

Pam

Brindle hangs out under her water bottle, too!

I got tired of moving it around. She doesn't get very wet...I think the water rolls off of her for the most part.

However, when Benji gets tearing around in his cage it shakeseverything including Brindle's water bottle. She gets a little more wetthen...and gives Benji a dirty look, too.

Grr, Apollo does that too:X. Ihave had to cut down on his vanilla dramatically. It was staining hisfur. I was constantly having to clean him up. No matter whereI put it he lays right under it. I have changed the position and thewater bottle a few times. He just follows it around:?.

I guess I've gotten used to it and making sure he isn't too wet.

Tina

Just a suggestion, try putting something under the water bottle.

I have a heavy ashtray that I have put under the water bottle since it leaks.

Bookworm doesn't like to lie on the ashtray, but still has no trouble drinking, and the ashtray catches the drips.

I've only had Bookworm for 4 days, and he stills is having trouble withthe water bottle being at a different angle than the one in the petstore. He turns his head nearly upside down todrink. They had one that hung from the ceiling, and minehangs from the side of the cage. He's getting more used to itthough.

Sheri

Our water bottle does not drip, but soon after weswitched to a new water bottle, last one was leaking, Chernishdeveloped a running eye. Can it be related to the new water bottle, hespends a lot more time with the new bottle since its harder to get thewater out of it?

try cleaning the water bottle to make surethey're not trying to tell you somethings wrong with it. are you usingplain tap water or filtered water? it's kind of funny because one timei used tap water and they sat under the bottle because they wanted meto give them filtered water lol they're so spoiled :p

also, try moving the bottle to a different side of the cage and see if they still sit under it

Back