Rabbits poops dark poops and light poops?

Help Support RabbitsOnline:

BinkyLouie

Reaction score
Hey guys, so is it bad when rabbits poops different colored poops? Louie keeps going from light poops to dark poops. Honestly, don’t know what’s wrong m. Should I be concerned or??? Sometimes I go look and it does look dark but then I go into the light and it’s actually green poops or like they end up being lighter than they actually seem. Any thoughts? Right now he was asleep and he lets a few poops out and I inspected them and they were dark. He eats Timothy hay all day. I’ll put his eating habits here: unlimited Timothy hay, 1/2 of veggies, 1/4 of alfalfa pellets and 1 oxbow treat. That’s what he eats everyday.

BinkyLouie

Reaction score
I’m gonna attach some photos of his poops.. these are from his litter box inside his cage when he goes in at night. I usually refill it when HES about to go in and he eats that all night with his pellets that I give him around 8:30 or 9:30.

Attachments

ArtistChibi

Potato Artist
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The dark poops can be from the veggies, which is natural. And the lighter poops from the hay. Xiao Wu and Tu Shen alternate like that as well. As long as nothing else is off, such as oddly shaped, mushy, or hairy poops, there isn't really an issue.

BinkyLouie

Reaction score
The dark poops can be from the veggies, which is natural. And the lighter poops from the hay. Xiao Wu and Tu Shen alternate like that as well. As long as nothing else is off, such as oddly shaped, mushy, or hairy poops, there isn't really an issue.

Thank you for responding! This made me feel so much better.

JBun

Jenny - Health & Wellness Mod
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
If they're healthy looking in size, shape and consistency, then darker color can be from more moisture in the poop, like from veggies, or from more protein in the diet, like if a rabbit is eating fresh early growth grass, a softer leafier grass hay, or alfalfa. So for your rabbit, it's likely from the veggies and/or from the alfalfa pellets. Lighter colored poop comes from less protein and more indigestible fiber in the diet.