Rabbits No Longer Eating Hay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pawmpawm

Reaction score
Hello fellow bunny lovers, I am hoping you could help with this issue I'm having with my rabbits. I have been feeding them the Oxbow Timothy Hay, and between the two of them, they used to finish a large stuffed hay ball overnight. Now it takes them a week to finish. I read about how hay can get moisture and grow mold, so I bought a fresh pack. No luck. I don't know if it's just my imagination, but it seems like the hay is different than before, like the suppliers or processing methods are different. One time I tried to feed them the All Living Things brand of timothy hay, but they would not eat it so I threw it out. I just picked up a pack of the Kaytee brand but it doesn't seem like they like it any better. They are mainly living off of Oxbow pellets, but I know they should be having 70 percent hay in their diets. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you!

One of the keys with feeding hay is to not wait until they finish what they're given before giving them more. They like to pick through the hay and eat whatever they consider the "choicest" pieces. That means the hay should be refreshed a couple times per day. The adding of fresh hay is what entices them to eat.

Not sure what the hay ball is that you have. It's best to put the hay directly in their litter box or in a bin of some sort. They shouldn't have to work at getting the hay. It should be in something that makes it easy to sort through. Check here for more.

Sometimes the bagged hay from pet stores is rather old. Try searching for local feed stores to get a bale or half bale of timothy from there. It is infinitely cheaper and usually fresher too (ask to see it so you can verify that it's green).

1650412505792.png This type of hay wheel is for entertainment only. It should not be used as the primary way to feed hay.

Last edited:
My Ted is a picky eater. I’ve had good luck getting him to eat hay from Small Pet Select.

He mostly eats 2nd cut Timothy hay. I sift out most of the dust, then usually smush in a small amount of banana. Sometimes instead of banana I will add about 2 tablespoons of diced apple, or a few blueberries.

Also most of the time I will mix in small amounts of greens like arugula or parsley or spinach.

I sometimes add in a SMALL amount of oat hay, or orchard hay, or alfalfa, for variety.
Also occasionally I will sprinkle in a couple tablespoons worth of Naturals brand Nature’s Salad.

so there are some options I use, I try to add variety to his diet to keep him interested.

one more option is I get PREMIUM ULTRA SOFT HAY from Small Pet Select. It’s expensive but he likes it enough to eat it plain, without me adding anything to it (as above)

Mine are picky hay eaters as well, and hay definitely changes even if from the same brand. I had to switch from Small Pet Select Timothy, which they used to love, to bags of Oxbow Orchard Grass from Petsmart (which they devoured). Then, suddenly, a new bag of the orchard wasn't to their liking. I went back to the store and got all the bags with the same date as the one they'd loved, and they again devoured it. Don't know what I'll do when that runs out, since it was an earlier batch than the store has now. It's definitely frustrating to spend all that money on hay and then they won't touch it!

Latest posts

Back