Rabbit's Nail

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dxrk

Reaction score
My rabbit's nail is bent to the side and it looks as though half the nail is bleeding on the inside. Im waiting it out to see if he'll rip it off (like he did before..) or if it will fall off but im afraid whether he's in pain at the moment or not. Its on the verge of falling out but it just wont! I took him to the vet for a trim and they said and did nothing about it.

Have any of you experienced this or know what i should do? I want to try and fix this before i leave for the month to make sure he'll be alright.

- Riley

We ahve had a couple of buns break their nails but not right off the problem can be if it is pressing on the nerves underneath which is sore for them.

I have to say whenever this has happened my husband has put a bit of pressure on the paw and pulled it very quickly as it seems less painful when it is fully off. Then we just keep an eye on it.

Don't know if this is what anyone else would do but it certainly seems easier for them when it is off. I would only do this if it was hurting the bun

Is the nail actually broken? They do have a nerve and blood supply (quick) that runs down the nail, so it is normal to see blood in the nail.

If the nail is broken, cut it off at the break. If it isn't broken, cut it carefully where the quick ends.

If it bleeds, hold a paper towel over the nail until the bleeding stops.

Pam

Thanks for the help, i was close to taking it out myself but i let it slide for another day. Anyway Ichecked up on him and noticed that the nail fell off on its own -thank god. No blood, nothing, and he's perfectly fine now :)

Latest posts

Back