rabbits losing weight!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For years I bought pellets from the local feed store. However, he has recently retired and now I am in a quandry!

I remember the feed store guy once telling me it was important that rabbit pellets have equal amounts of protein and fiber and his rabbit food had 15% protein and 15% fiber. Beyound that I don't know what was in the food.

I bought Manna Pro from TSC. ( http://www.mannapro.com/products/rabbit/select-series-feed/nutritional-information/ ) My 2 rabbits (Dutch and mini lop) have been eating it for about 3 weeks and they are losing weight!! Both of them started at 4.5 lbs and now weigh about 3.75 lbs!

Could it be the food? It seems nutritious, but maybe it's not as digestable? I don't see any extra cecals, or anything like that.

They don't have to have equal fiber. 15-20 percent fiber is ideal for them. Are they eating all of the food? Could they be digging it out or is there still some left in the bowl? Manna pro is a good food but so is bluebonnet(what we changed to) and the rabbits didn't like it at all. Most of them wouldn't finish it.

Also when is the last time you dewormed? Maybe it's about that time

Rabbit Nutrition and Nutritional Healing says this about protein:
too little: weight loss [or slow growth in juveniles]& hair perhaps thin & reddish
too much: could damage liver &/or kidneys, increases urine, upsets digestion

recommended percentages in the diet [not in pellets alone]
17-20 long haired
17-20 large breeds
14 pregnant
18-21 lactating
12-13 age 3-9 weeks
12-16 all other

On the protein, I can attest that too much protein seems to have caused my boys to have smellier pee! Rabbit food is one variable dance!

They seem to be eating as well as ever. I fill up their bowl when it's empty and they always have hay available.

Woahlookitsme...they have NOT been tested for worms in quite awhile! Why is it the most obvious thing is the last thing I think of? lol! Thanks!

Will take care of that Monday...if the roads are passable!

How much of the pellets do you feed each day, and how much do your rabbits weight? What were the pellets they used to get and the percentage of protein? They get the manna pro now right? What is the percentage of protein in it? Are they finishing all their pellets each day?

They get about a half cup of pellets each. They eat all of it during the couse of the day. This is the same as with the feed store kind. Yes they are getting Manna Pro now. The rest of the info is as stated above.

Sorry, I see that you posted the weights. The link shows two different protein levels, 16 and 18. I'm guessing you're feeding the 16. Did the old feed have a higher fat content and this one has a lower? That could account for some weight loss. If you are feeding by measurement and not by weight, it could be your previous feed weighed more by volume, than this new feed, so your rabbits would have been getting a heavier and more concentrated feed in the 1/2 cup of the old feed. Usually you feed rabbits about 1 oz. per pound of normal body weight(that can vary with each rabbit though), so you would want to be giving around 4.5 oz. if they were at a healthy weight before the weight loss. But if that doesn't do it you could increase their pellets some more, or switch to a different pellet, or try a higher protein one.

Last edited:
Yeah, my thought was about the same as JBun's. Maybe the feed you used to give them was more nutritionally dense than the new one, and you need to give them a greater volume of the new feed, in order to provide the same nutritional value. I would increase their pellet ration until they can maintain their weight on it.

There's only a 1% difference in the protein between your old feed and the Manna Pro. The old feed, was it a certain brand of pellets or was it specially milled for the feed store? If you find that they're free from worms then I agree about increasing their portion.

There's only a 1% difference in the protein between your old feed and the Manna Pro. .

But "crude protein" is not what is at issue if we are talking about weight loss. It is total the amount of calories per VOLUME of feed that is important, since the OP is feeding by volume (a half cup) and not by weight. I don't think total calories can be determined from the percentage of crude protein, because it is a percentage by WEIGHT, and because fat and carbohydrate also contribute to calories.

Last edited:
The predicted ice storm came this morning, so I was unable to bring in a fecal sample. It will have to wait until tomorrow!

I free feed both pellets and hay, and usually veggies. The previous food was milled for the feed store, I don't know any other ingredients.

Thanks for the replies. I will keep you updated!

If I were you I would go ahead and deworm them. I have never had a rabbit tested for worms. I just dose ivermectin every 6 months at 1/10cc per pound of body weight. So for yours I would give one rabbit .5cc and the other 4cc. It is ok if it is over by a little. I also give them ivermectin when I am trying to get them through a molt. That dose it 1/10cc every week through the molt.

Also have you given your rabbits things like oats, black oil sunflower seeds and barley? I mix those things together and give about 1/4 cup per rabbit per day. It makes them in better condition.

Back