Rabbits from Petstores...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 4951

Reaction score
Hi guys :D I'm new, so please forgive me for any naive-ness ^^;;
I tried to find threads regarding this, but failed to find any ><
I'm planning to get a rabbit soon, but before I do go ahead and get one, I wanted to get opinions from you guys, whether pet stores are a good source or not. Before anyone points out, I know there are other options such as adoption; I volunteer at an animal shelter, which is mostly dog/cat oriented and less of small mammals, so I don't have much options there. I was considering breeders also, but I'd like to learn more about pet stores before I decide on it ><;

Recently, I've been to Petland, and the bunnies there seem healthy...But the thing is, I've read some, actually, a lot -.- of horrid stories regarding that place, so I wasn't so sure... But then again,I've heard some people who got pets from there that are very healthy and doing well, so I'm just torn >< and I have few other places that sell bunnies around here... So I was wondering, has any of you guys bought bunnies from pet stores? Any info / opinions will be appreciated ^O^ Oh and, any other little tips would be appreciated also, although I've found so many threads on this forum already! Thanks in advance~

Just as a side note, I have a 6 year old dog :D who I love dearly, he's my little brother :] He' a Shih-Tzu, is really calm and just a sweetie<3
I was considering a ferret or a rabbit as an addition to my family, but decided that a rabbit would get along better with him. I'm hoping that my future rabbit will bond with him well, and keep him company :D
I'm doing my research right now, and will go out and buy cubes to build a NIC cage, maybe tomorrow... And after I have all the supplies ready,that's when I'll be getting the bunny >< So plenty of time to get ready. I'm just happy that I got my mom to allow me to have another pet! Yeah, and before anyone asks, I'm old enough to be responsible~

actually i got my rabbit from petland, me and my sister got sister rabbit. its nice getting them from there! the only thing is that if you want to enter them in rabbit shows or contests then you have to get a pedigree, and pet stores dont have those from your rabbits. but i enjoy my rabbit shes healthy and all, the pet store gives them all their shots and what they need before they go, on the other hand breeders i dont think dont.. but you do what you want!

I'm glad to see you're doing your research before simply jumping in to the world of rabbits.

One major problem with pet stores is that they frequently adopt out bunnies when they're too young. Really, it all depends on the pet store. Also, they often mislabel the breed of the rabbits. (Many people will find their dwarf won't stop growing). Some also keep their rabbits in simply unacceptable conditions.

There are certainly responsible pet stores out there. For example, many work with local rescues and offer animals for adoption.

If you decide to go with a pet store, ask who their supplier is, where your rabbit came from. Also ask if they receive veterinary care.

If you decide to go with a breeder, make sure it is someone you are comfortable with.

I too volunteer at my local animal shelter. Mine, however,has about 50 bunnies. Have you looked in shelters a city over? Many people will abandon "Easter bunnies" when they grow tired of them.

Have you checked http://www.petfinder.com to search for a rabbit near you?

There are also many many rabbit rescues out there.

Aside from being sold to young, it's quite common for pet store rabbits to be over stressed and frequently ill. I wouldn't recommend a pet store rabbit for a newbie,just in case the bun turns out to have a health problem.

I recommend either adopting from a shelter (there's lots of baby ex-Easter bunnies available right now, you may just need to know where to look) or from a reputable breeder. I'd trust a good show breeder over a pet store any day. Some of our members here are breeders and can tell you what to look for, to know if someone you are considering buying a rabbit from is a responsible breeder or not. There are a lot of irresponsible people breeding rabbits out there, but a lot of great people too if you know where to look.

Pet stores usually don't know the correct breeds of the rabbits they have for sale.they rarely know what sex they are.they buy from breeders who couldn't care less about temperament or even know too breed for temperament.many of the people selling to pet stores know nothing about genetics and selecting for healthy rabbits.In the United States there are no rabbit vaccines.Unless you can find a privately owned pet store that buys there rabbits from show breeders.bluebird

I got my baby at Petland, They couldn't tell me male or female which is annoying. He was only 25$, at a shelter it's around 50-100 i think...But they give you stuff, and Petland made me buy like 200$$ worth of crap I couldn't use for him til he was an adult. (lame)

After reading everyone's posts for awhile, I feel guilty about buying one from a pet store, and I'll be adopting a bunny from a shelter nearby very soon for a friend for him. I mean, the bunnies at pet stores need homes too, but the cute cuddly babies have a lot more of a chance. Plus through a shelter, theyre probably already fixed and youll know what kind of personalty they have right away,instead of hoping for one that you'd get along with best....

Good Luck!!

Hi! First of all - congrats on wanting to get a bunny - and on thinking all of these things through.

I don't think though that the decision on where to get your rabbit should be based upon WHERE you get it - as the rabbit itself - and I am a breeder. Many times buying from a pet store is a "rescue" as that rabbit may wind up in a shelter somewhere down the road if it is adopted when it is cute and cuddly and dumped later.

So let's talk about what to look for..

a. Eyes - are they shining and healthy - or do they look dull? You want the eyes to be bright and the rabbit looking around -not dull (as if is sick)

b. Is the rabbit active and alert? When you pick it up - does it show any interest in its surroundings - or lay limp in your arms -or fight you? You don't want it to just lay there (if it is sick)...although a calm rabbit is nice.

c. Fur - is it dull and sort of dry? or does it feel soft and in good condition? If the fur is dry or sort of brittley feeling - the rabbit may have health issues of some sort.

d. Teeth - open the mouth and look at the teeth to make sure they line up right...

e. Hold the rabbit and talk to it quietly - rub the base of its ears and behind the ears...does it give you tooth purrs at all?Does it fight you?

You want a rabbit that will allow you told hold it - (or at least most folks do) and that will be able to take medicine from you somewhere down the road if need be.

Put the rabbit down on the floor if you can - or sit on the floor with the rabbit on your lap. Does it snuggle into you? Does it go off and explore? Does it just lay there?

You are checking out the rabbit not only for its health but its personality.

I know people will tell you that rabbits change as they hit adolescence- and in many ways that is right. BUT - as a breeder - I can often tell you who will be outgoing and who will be shy - because I've watched them from when they first come out of the nest. I can even predict who will be aggressive - and I'm frequently right. I'm sorry - but a bossy bunny at a young age - is bossy as it gets older.

I've been at shows with rabbits and had one person hold a rabbit and the rabbit fought like crazy...they pick up another one - and it just settles down and snuggles into them. Then another person will come along - pick up that first rabbit...and the rabbit just snuggles into THEIR arms.

I think that sometimes the rabbits will pick the people they want - if we will let them.

I have lion heads - partly for the "cuteness" factor - but the fact is -when I help people pick out lion heads - I MAKE them play with the lion head before they take them - so I can see if it is a good fit. I won't let a lion head go home with someone it doesn't seem comfortable with.

Finally - you do not NEED a pedigree to show rabbits - at least not here in the United States. You only need a pedigree to register a rabbit with ARBA (American Rabbit Breeders Association). So you don't need to worry about a pedigree.

So where should you get a rabbit? You should get a rabbit from where ever it is...because you need to look for THE rabbit that fits you- and then rejoice when you find it.

Peg

Thank you all so much for wonderful and helpful comments! :D I'll definitely consider all of the suggestions, not only on where to get the rabbit but also on what factors to look for a healthy rabbit. :D I'll be looking around this board for a while, while getting all the supplies ready, and let you all know when I get one :]

elanems, Congratulations on getting a bunny! I am sure you will love it.

Since you asked for opinions... I would NEVER buy a rabbit from a pet store. The reason is that there are so many healthy pet bunnies waiting for homes in shelters! Plus shelter animals are already fixed so they are a bargain. And you can probably get behavior history information so you already know a bit about you rabbits personality from the start. Please consider checking your local shelters and the local HRS chapter if there is one:D. You'll be saving an animal's life in a way.

Rabbit overpopulation article:http://rabbit.org/adoption/overpopulation.html

Why Adoption: http://www.rirabbits.org/why/why.html

ETA: Links

My bunny came from a pet shop.

The people who bought her, found out she had injuries and was pregnant when they took her to a Vet for a check-up. They were surprised how much it would cost for the surgery, so they left the bunny at the Vets to beput down.

I found out about this and adopted the poor bunny from the Vet. She turned out to be the best pet bunny anyone can have. Anyone on this forum can agree to that. :D

308ies4.jpg

Rainbows! :bunnydance:

Hi,

Two of my four buns were from pet shops. The first, Berri, was viscous when we got her, and up until about a year after that, then she became so so sweet, she was wonderful!:D Sadly she has since passed on:(, but I do not regret at all getting her from a pet shop.

The second, Maddie (who I got on 31st March this year) is the sweetest bunny I have ever met. I'm serious. She loves attention so much, she's always washing we, wanting pets and hopping up on my knee (her favourite spot is my shoulder;)). I knew she was perfect for me the moment I held her, she settled right into my arms. We were made for each other, she gets so excited when she sees me!:bunnydance:

But, I do feel a little bad that I did not go to a shelter. Thing is,there is only one shelter here that has rabbits as far as I'm aware,and it's a bit far, nobody will take me, I'm 15 so it's going to be a few years before I'm driving yet. :?

If I had went the shelter route, I would have got the rabbit, already spayed or neutered, for �30. Maddie cost �30, unspayed. �30 is around$60. A spay here costs about �50, ($100), so basically if would have saved $100 by getting from the shelter.

Ultimately it's up to you, you will get support here no matter what you choose to do.:hug2:

I have 6 rabbits. 3 are from a pet store. 2 of them are cuddle buns.:) 1 will cuddle on his terms.:X

2 of them came to me very very sick.

There is good and there is bad. I do know I will try my hardest not to buy from a pet store again but who knows what is going to happen.

Although I think there's a difference between rescuing a rabbit from a pet store when you know it needs help (and can give/pay for that help) and buying a rabbit from a pet store when you want a healthy well-socialized pet. For people who are new to rabbits, I really don't recommend pet stores at all.

My first bun was from a pet store too. I love her, but she turned into a demon at puberty and 2 years after spaying is still very territorial aka marks everything! My hand-aggressive rescue bun Sprite is easier to take care of.

Every time a bunny is purchased from a pet store,especially the large chains, it supports the mass 'bunny mills' that raise their rabbits under horrendous conditions. If you see a healthy bunny in the store, be assured there are 10 more back at the barn that died from illness, early weaning, spays at six weeks (the latest trend) orwere destroyed for not being cute enough, or because supply outgrew the demand that month.

People buying from breeders or going to rescues have put thought into the purchase. People walking through pet stores are impulse buyers -- 'that bunny is cute! I'll get it along withthose shoes I saw next door!' -- I'd hazard a guess that the majorityend up neglected in a small pet store-purchased cageor a backyard hutch, or they die from improper care,they'accidentally' reproduce and/or they're 'set free', going on to multiply the problem a 100 fold.

Pet stores selling rabbits are the scourge of the earth, or at least the rabbit world. Under NO circumstances should that market be supported. If it is it will only grow.

If there's a bunny in big trouble in a pet store, and you just have to get him/her out of there, follow it up with multiple letters to the store, local bulletin boards, bunny boards, etc.. Take future sales away.

sas :growl:

Oh you mean how I keep harassing the store that I got Elvis from. Or how on Saturday how I mentioned to the lady at the counter how eventually I would see those rabbits in the rescue.:hyper:

Ok I know I already answered this, but after going to the shelter today and seeing all those sweet little homeless buns, I say you have to do that!! There were even sweet little babies!!My heart was melting!! I'm getting one of them soon!!

:bunnydance:Jules

Pipp i agree with you 100 %.when you buy from those chain pet stores you encourage mass breedings of rabbits.impulse buys and the dumping of rabbits after the bunny isnt cute anymore.bluebird

Latest posts

Back