Rabbits fighting and chasing .

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dar

Reaction score
I have 4 bunnies. Before we got the 4th, we spent a week bonding the 3; 2 females and a male, the girls did not get along. When we got the 4th, a male, they actually all excepted him no problem. He became buds with the other male. All are fixed. Just this past week our first male is fighting with the other male, and our 1st female is picking on and chasing the other female. What's going on? So, Romeo is fighting with Louie, and Cookie is picking on Tootsie.

I have had that happen, I had two bonded sisters, I bought as a pair because they couldn’t be separated they were bonded so close. They lived together fine for about 4 months. But then I had to move them to a smaller cage because the old one broke and my dog likes to chase the rabbits. And one of the sisters actually started attacking the other after a few days of being in the cage. She was pulling out her sisters fur, and they were just fighting. I believe it has to do with them being too close. If your cage is too small this can happen. And usually four rabbits together isn’t a super good idea, as the males might want to be the dominant ones. But I am sure the experts will be here shortly to help ya.

How long had the 4 of them been together before the scuffles started? Have there been any changes to their environment, new pets, new sounds, new smells, new furniture, things moved around, etc? Any of them recently showing any signs of illness?

How long had the 4 of them been together before the scuffles started? Have there been any changes to their environment, new pets, new sounds, new smells, new furniture, things moved around, etc? Any of them recently showing any signs of illness?
The scuffles started a week or so after the 4th bunny was added. He was very well accepted by the others. Their pen is 7 1/2 feet by 13 feet , 2 separate cages where they can go to get time alone, 6 litter boxes, a pet bed, sea grass rugs. When we are home they roam the house. They are all fixed.

With it being a fairly new bond, it could be they are still sorting out the hierarchy in their group. I would keep a really close eye on them to make sure it is only minor scuffles and doesn't escalate into real aggression that could escalate into a fight causing injury, which would require immediate separation before this occurs.

This has some links on group bonding that could be helpful.
http://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Bonding_rabbits_together

Latest posts

Back