Rabbits dental problem

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanillaMarshmellUwU

Reaction score
So this morning, my bunny was acting weird and won't eat his favorite pellets, so I asked earlier this morning for help and someone suggested that I should smush his pellets and it worked! And right now I'm mixing his smushed pellets with tiny pieces of cabbage, carrots and hay, I noticed him early this morning that he's trying to eat his hay, cabbage, carrots, and unsmushed pellets and he seems to neeble it. I'm finding a vet who knows about rabbit but I have a low chance on finding one since rabbit experienced vets are rare in our country since dogs and cats are so popular in being house pets. I checked his teeth this morning and I don't know if something is wrong, I also don't know how to open his mouth since he's always moving.

Attachments

• IMG20200609161459.jpg
    IMG20200609161459.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 6
Do you only feed cabbage and carrots besides the pellets? If so, I would switch the vegetables. Carrots are high in sugar, and cabbage should not be given daily - or at all depending on the rabbit.

Think of veggies like romaine lettuce, mint, cilantro, fennel and basil. Here's a list of veggies that are more appropriate to feed on a daily basis: Greens & Veggies

It's hard to tell as I can only see the top of the teeth but the teeth look pretty long, like they're overgrown. Push for more hay to be eaten. Try to hand feed him some (mine likes to be hand fed sometimes, she's spoiled). Otherwise, you may have to reach out to a rabbit savvy vet to have them trimmed down.

Do you only feed cabbage and carrots besides the pellets? If so, I would switch the vegetables. Carrots are high in sugar, and cabbage should not be given daily - or at all depending on the rabbit.

Think of veggies like romaine lettuce, mint, cilantro, fennel and basil. Here's a list of veggies that are more appropriate to feed on a daily basis: Greens & Veggies

It's hard to tell as I can only see the top of the teeth but the teeth look pretty long, like they're overgrown. Push for more hay to be eaten. Try to hand feed him some (mine likes to be hand fed sometimes, she's spoiled). Otherwise, you may have to reach out to a rabbit savvy vet to have them trimmed down.
Thank you for the response and sorry to reply late. But carrots and cabbages are my only choice there is kang Kong leaves but they wither so fast. But I checked on him today (give him his breakfast) and he seems to eat his pellets now without even mushed and hay!! I have him his hay first and he ate it, not like yesterday where he is trying to eat his hay and cecotropes. We also don't have romaine lettuce because I think lettuces are grown in a cold place in my country called baguio City, I've been there before we saw lettuces and cales there even tough it's called strawberry farm. Our markets here do not sell lettuce but a lot of types of cabbages, only in malls but it's iceberg lettuce and I know that iceberg lettuce is a bad choice for rabbits. I don't know if this is a miracle.

Last edited:
You have other leafy greens that can be fed to the bunnies. I think the filipino group for bunny owners can give tips on what veggies you can give. I don’t remember the names of different leafy greens I often eat there when myself visit. I just find vegetables being so cheap compared how much it cost for me in my country. I could totally go vegan without hurting my nom existing wallet 🤣

But my grandparents are farmers and live a bit off the grid. So a few of the vegetables comes from the mountain.

Your bunny maybe had a bit of gas troubles which caused him to eat as normal. Cabbage can cause gas if they eat a lot and a few bunnies are more sensitive to it than others. But keep on trying to encourage hay eating and the teeth will naturally wear down.

Often bunnies can get spurs on the molars which we can’t see and a vet might need to look. Even one of my bunnies have a bit of small spurs that was noted, the culprit for that is my dad. So I told him that if Odin would need to fix his teeth my dad will pay for the cost. Because he always sneaking food to Odin every day, it get worse when he had a few beers 😅

That treat helped but I need to remind my dad all the time to not feed Odin behind my back. So I have a rule breaker at home and that are not the bunnies.

Last edited:
You have other leafy greens that can be fed to the bunnies. I think the filipino group for bunny owners can give tips on what veggies you can give. I don’t remember the names of different leafy greens I often eat there when myself visit. I just find vegetables being so cheap compared how much it cost for me in my country. I could totally go vegan without hurting my wallet 🤣

But my grandparents are farmers and live a bit off the grid. So a few of the vegetables comes from the mountain.
I think he is fine now... He can chew his pellets, ate a little bit of cabbage, and he's eating hay right NOW it's a miracle for me I did not even find a vet yet. Thank the lord. But I'm not going to be reliefed yet I want to check the problem that happened yesterday.

Attachments

• IMG20200610063612.jpg
    IMG20200610063612.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG20200610063800.jpg
    IMG20200610063800.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 1
You have other leafy greens that can be fed to the bunnies. I think the filipino group for bunny owners can give tips on what veggies you can give. I don’t remember the names of different leafy greens I often eat there when myself visit. I just find vegetables being so cheap compared how much it cost for me in my country. I could totally go vegan without hurting my nom existing wallet 🤣

Your bunny maybe had a bit of gas troubles which caused him to eat as normal. Cabbage can cause gas if they eat a lot and a few bunnies are more sensitive to it than others. But keep on trying to encourage hay eating and the teeth will naturally wear down.

Often bunnies can get spurs on the molars which we can’t see and a vet might need to look. Even one of my bunnies have a bit of small spurs that was noted, the culprit for that is my dad. So I told him that if Odin would need to fix his teeth my dad will pay for the cost. Because he always sneaking food to Odin every day, it get worse when he had a few beers 😅

That treat helped but I need to remind my dad all the time to not feed Odin behind my back. So I have a rule breaker at home and that are not the bunnies.
Bunny's are irresistible, before he was transfer to his playpen... I snuck him out to free roam downstairs without my grandma knowing

Here are some more pics of him yesterday when I'm checking his teeth and yes maybe you're right... I'm still looking for a vet that has experiences in rabbits but it's really rare to find o e in my country... Pls understand that I am trying my best.... Right now he is eating hay so I do t have much problem.

Attachments

• IMG20200609161454.jpg
    IMG20200609161454.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG20200609161437.jpg
    IMG20200609161437.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG20200609161454.jpg
    IMG20200609161454.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 1
If he is eating hay he is probably fine. I'm glad he is getting better! I get why you want to know what was wrong with him though. Whenever Theo stops eating I freak out!
For now, I would reduce his pellets a bit for the next week because he will eat more hay. The hay will help wear down his teeth. Also, offer him lots of safe tree branches. His teeth don't look super long, but just a little longer then they should be. Can you take a picture where you pull down his bottom lip when you pull up his top lip? It will show his bottom teeth and his top teeth at the same time so we can see how long they are. Is he drooling at all? I am wondering if he has molar spurs.

If he is eating hay he is probably fine. I'm glad he is getting better! I get why you want to know what was wrong with him though. Whenever Theo stops eating I freak out!
For now, I would reduce his pellets a bit for the next week because he will eat more hay. The hay will help wear down his teeth. Also, offer him lots of safe tree branches. His teeth don't look super long, but just a little longer then they should be. Can you take a picture where you pull down his bottom lip when you pull up his top lip? It will show his bottom teeth and his top teeth at the same time so we can see how long they are. Is he drooling at all? I am wondering if he has molar spurs.
I am tried my best yesterday but he keeps moving and I'm the only one who is taking pics and opening his mouth at the same time

Back