Rabbits + Cat Litter

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAK Rabbitry

Reaction score
I know you can't like, have a litter box with meow litter in it but I have 11 rabbits in a small living room right now and I was wondering if they're be alright if I mixed some Tidy Cat litter in with the sawdust (its actually dust) thats in the trays under the cage wire? Just to cut down on stinkies.

-JAK

I don't know about what you have done,but I use cat wodd pellet litter, it's safe for buns and is cheap too. It has to be non clumping, whatever you use though.

But there are some cat litters safe for buns, that's for sure.

I can only tell you my personal experience. When I first got rabbits, there was no Internet as source of information and only 1 book, in German, that addressed house rabbits. I used cat letter for my bunnies for 15 years and never had a clue it was 'dangerous'. Coney lived to be 15 yrs, Evil Bunny lived to be 13, Freddie and Aleaxander lived to be 12. All used cat litter and not a single bunny ever ate it or had problems with dust or respiratory issues. I used the cheapie unscented WalMart Special Kitty. I read an article on the Internet that said some bunnies will ingest it but I never saw it happen. They have never eaten anything used in their litter boxes.

Now that I am 'educated' (ha ha ha) I use generic horse stall bedding simply because it absorbs liquid and contains odor better than cat litter.

Yeah I have used the pellet pine junk for my cat, I wanted something for the bunnies though that has more of a scent that wouldn't irritate them. I didn't think it would be harmful if they don't have direct access to it.

-JAK

Why not use the wood pellet litter? You can get it cheaper than the "special" cat stuff if you buy it at a feed store. The wood pellets are kiln dried, which takes out the oily scent stuff that is bad for them. So they're safe.

Since this is just for drop pans, you could use clay kitty litter. But I think the wood pellets work better for smell control.

I've used wood pellets before and It was still stinky. The clay litter I have now has like an actual scent to it that I liked.

I get all my shtuff at the feed store except bedding, which I get from the saw mill. ITs cheapest to get it there so I jsut use that in the trays, but I use actual pine shavings for nest boxes.

I don't want to have to buy another totally differernt product, but I havea cat and therefore have cat litter so I was just wondering if it'd be safe to use since I already have it and buy it for the cat.

-JAK

As long as its a drop pan and theyre not actually sitting on it it should be ok. The main way they ingest it is if they try to eat their cecal pellets. The cat litter sticks to the poop and then they ingest it.

I agree, wood pellets work great here.

i use the Kitty Cristals. Gumbo was traned with that kind of litter at the pet store. so instead of taking him off of it he uses that kind. when i did try to use bun bun litter he refused to potty in that one and dumped the pan over!

So you have cat litter in a normal litter box, that he can jump into and actually touches the litter? That really doesn't sound like a good idea. The cat litter could cause a serious problem if he licks some off of his paws. The only reason we're saying it's ok for Jesse (JAK Rabbitry) is that her rabbits are in wire floor cages and the litter goes in the pan underneath, so they won't touch the litter at all.

The crystal type of cat litter is silica gel, just like those little packets in shoes and other products that say "Do Not Eat." Here is more info on silica gel:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silica_gel

Although it's not poisonous or toxic, it could upset the stomach. I'd rather not take the chance. At least with the wood pellet litter I use, it's something that a rabbit would naturally ingest in small amounts when it eats bark. So a little nibble now and then won't hurt.

yeah I tried that cat litter thing in the trays.....

The smell of cat litter was too overpowering for me and i got a headache from smelling it all day. And Erron kept insisting our cat crappedi n the living room, til I told him about the new bedding I put int he trays.

I cleaned it today and the litter turned into like....slime. And it wasn't very fun.

I dont' thin kthe cat litter in the bunny tray is goign to be a swell idea henceforth. I'll stick with sawdust I suppose

-JAK

I used cat litter once. I used Tidy Cats small spaces because someone else I know uses that stuff for their rabbit and they said it was safe. I used it for a month or two then stopped. It was awesome for smell and I could siff out the potty which was nice but it was more expensive.

Now I use Wood Pellets. LOVE the stuff. I can stick my nose in it and I smell nothing.I tried corn cob once. Don't like it. Doesn't obsorb smell well.Shavings stick to the bunnies' fur :p

I was using tidy cats. I couldn't smell bunny waste at all. But I could smell kitty litter in mass quantities. I did like being able to sift it with my cat litter scoop.

but I went back to just plain sawdust. IT is a fine powdering sawdust so i'm s till able to sift it.

Arm and Hammer kitty litter was horrid. Didn't cover the smell at all. It was even worse because I hated how the litter smelled on it's own. I love Scoop Away.

my mum HATES stink in any and all forms. She can't stand it. She claims so many thing stink and like, forbids them. But she cooks squid for Christmas.

Anyways, she has one cat and she insists on Arm and Hammer multicat.

She and my dad have a 3 story house and I was outside feedin' bunnies one summer and she comes out ont he very top deck and she's like '' I smell dog poop out there!'' and she made me find it and clean it up.

She and my dad's room is on the top floor and i'm in the middle at the other end of the house. and she'd scream down the stairs at me to put my socks in the hamper.

????

JAK Rabbitry wrote:
my mum HATES stink in any and all forms. She can't stand it. She claims so many thing stink and like, forbids them. But she cooks squid for Christmas.

Anyways, she has one cat and she insists on Arm and Hammer multicat.

She and my dad have a 3 story house and I was outside feedin' bunnies one summer and she comes out ont he very top deck and she's like '' I smell dog poop out there!'' and she made me find it and clean it up.

She and my dad's room is on the top floor and i'm in the middle at the other end of the house. and she'd scream down the stairs at me to put my socks in the hamper.

????
O.O wow has your mom thought of having a career in drug sniffing?

I would think she wouldn't be the best for that job after she found my brother's cigars and tobacco and didn't do anything about it.

I also found it rather comical that when I moved out and my bro moved iinto my room, she also found a pair of girl's underwear....which weren't mine.

She said she left them on his computer desk to let him know she found them and later they disappeared. She made my husband confront him on the matter. Poor kid.

-JAK

Aww that sucks. Not something you wanna talk to your parents about, regardless of what it's there for.

Latest posts

Back