rabbits bitting

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnnaS

Reaction score
My rabbit bit me yesterday. Not really hard, buthe grab my hand with his teeth. I tried to pick up a straw of hay fromhis side, and I guess he could not see me.
Also he bit my husband today.

Is it normal, or should I try to teach him out of it?

Why did he bite you? Because you picked up a piece of straw?

Why do rabbits nip/bite?
Rabbits can bite for several reasons:

• Rabbits nip to say "I love you". This is usually accompanied by thebunny circling you, often grunting gently. What your bunny doesn'trealise is that bunny nips hurt!

• Rabbits can also bite to get your attention, as in "Hello up there!! I'm down here !!! I need snacks NOW".

• If you are holding a rabbit and it nips you, it probably wants to be put down on the ground.

• Rabbits will attack with their teeth and claws. If you are on thereceiving end of this, you are offending and/or intimidating yourrabbit. Back off. Bunny bites can be very very painful.

• If you reach your hand out to pat a rabbit on it's head, the rabbitmay bite you in self defence. Rabbits can't see what is in front oftheir noses, and not being able so see what is touching them, they willbite you. This is why rabbits will sniff something before taking abite. Its good manners to put your hand out so your rabbit can see it'snot threatening, then stroke your bunny.
To stop your bunny nipping you, try squealing when you arebitten. Rabbits associate squeals with severe pain/fear. Hopefully therabbit will understand that biting hurts.
Cassandra

yeah I usually try to make a pile of hay grass,and I picked the one that was near his right side.And he turned and bitme.I guess he thought I wanted to touch him. He is ok if I pet him fromthe front where he can see my hand.

ooo thanks!! lol... umm my bunny emmy.. we have apillow for her so she can lay down on.. and when i was feeding herlunch.. she kept on scartching and nipping the pikllow and then shestarted digging into my cothes and nipped me in the leg! what does thismean??

If he doesn't draw blood, then that probablymeans that he's just frustrated with you. If he draws blood,he's mad.

no its just a little bite, no blood. I guess he doesnot feel as safe yet, so he wants to be in control.
Or maybe he thought that I was trying to pick him up.

It took Iszy a few months to get used to us. She's still pretty nervous, but better. It takes time.

Oh OH I have tried the squeeling, he hates thateven more and goes to bite meagain He's just recently started to bite me...I'll be talking to him likeI normally do, and he'll come up to me and start licking myhand...he knows when he does that he gets pet...so Istartpetting him then outta nowherehe grunts andbites me. Sometimes,he'll dig on my shirt and bite,I go to move him then I get bitagain. I hope this dosen't last forever!

~Karly~

Thankfully, Umbra hasnever drawn blood from nipping/biting me. The only timesactually that he's really ever nipped me was when I was in hisway. Sometimes when I lean on the wall in my room, and hewants to go through the little tunnel under my back that I create whenleaning against the wall, he'll nip my back to make me move so that hehas more space.

There is something weirdthough... Sometimes he'll nip at my feet. Like he'strying to move them or something... Maybe he doesn'tassociate my feet with the rest of my body? Or perhaps he'sjust annoyed...

You know what we need? We need a Bunny Translator. ;)

Back