Rabbits Aren't Disposable Easter Presents!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with your method Sunnie. That's probablythe best way to do it. Other breeders just sell the rabbits to anybodywho can give them the cash.

You know, this post had me thinking. As horribleas impulse buying is, Easter gives MANY bunnies a chance to escape the"snake-food" market.

I'm posting the following as my profile picture for every site I go to...

v5a9uq.jpg

I figure that they'll get a load of information if they go there...what do you guys think??

Thats a great idea!! Too many people don'trealize the work it takes to care for a bunny. I was at theswap meet this weekend and there were so many vendors with baby bunnyswho you can tell were way too young to be sold and should be with theremoms. My heart was breaking, I wanted just to take all ofthem and care for them so they wouldn't end up dumped at some parklater . There was a couple at one vendors that bought aboutfour bunnys (these were the youngest that I saw that day) and I knewthey were getting them for their kids and that these bunnys were notgoing to survive! So we all have to work hard to spread the word! Weneed to save our little bunnys!!

I think that's fantastic! I like it:cool:.I wastrying to think of a catchy phrase about rabbits and easter but I'm notgood at it.. they all sound a bit cheezy! :D

Rabbits are not as easy to care for as mostpeople think, and they are often abused as a result, but how isdiscouraging people from giving them kill-free homes going to help therabbits? What does the petstore do with unwanted bunnies? ...Ship themoff to meat-packing plants and fur farms?

SweetPeasMommie wrote:
If I was breeding bunnies, or any kind of animals I wouldnot sell them or adopt them out during Easter, Christmas, and Valetinesday. When people get holidays like that they all get tossed around afew days afterwards. Including dogs and cats.
I'm sorry but I partially disagree with this. I know of somepeople who never thought of getting a rabbit till Easter.....then theygot one. It lived in the house for a long time...in thebathroom. The daughter took it out and played with it and itwould take napes with the dad on Sunday afternoons - in fact - the momwould have to let the daughter fall asleep with it and then take it outto the dad.

The rabbit got away sometime after being moved outside (it was a largerrabbit by this time). After several days of crying - the mombought another rabbit for the girl because she loved it somuch.

Then the first rabbit was found...and guess what? Bothrabbits were NOT girls...(nor were they both boys). That's okthough - for they had lots of baby bunnies and they found homes for thebunnies or kept them themselves....and became known as the "bunnypeople".

Because of this - the girl grew up to love animals...and instilled a love in her children for animals.

I know that - because I was thatgirl. I got the Easter bunny. I fell in love withit.

I will sell bunnies at Easter to people....but I will ONLY do so aftertalking to them about the responsibility a rabbit is and making surethat they understand that the rabbit is going to grow into X sizedbunny. I even show them adults and showthem how to handle adults and young uns. (I also reserve theright to refuse a sale).

I do think that many bunnies adopted out at Easter are abused anddropped off at shelters - that is fact that is shown bystatistics.

But I do think that it is possible to get one for Easter - as a "whim" and grow to love it and become a true "bunny person".

Just my .02

Peg

I agree with that. If it had not been for Easterand the thought ofbunnies and getting one for my kids I wouldhave never gotten one an therfore found out how wonderfull rabbitownership could be.

I would like to think that the folks who I have given my rabbits to aregood pepole and I am in a situation were I see them every day at workso I get to here reports from them so I can keep track of my bunnies.

What I do, not just at Easter but all year'round, is make a vocal aggreement with the person buying the rabbitthat if for any reason they should have to give it up, it comesback to me. I also tend to question people as to why they want a rabbitbefore they buy it. I also make sure I am available to answer any q'sthey might have about rabbit care, and even provide books if they want.
I have never sold one to anyone except people looking for pets. I wouldbe willing to sell to someone who wanted to breed, so long as I feltsatisfied that they had previous experience with rabbits and had a planfor finding homes for their offspring.
I usually wind up talking to potential buyers quite a bit, which makesme feel better because I feel like I get to know them somewhat.

That's great. I'm glad to hear about people that care so much about their babes when they go to other homes. :) I was happy when I got Maisie that her prev owners (well, her parents' owners) were always around to ask questions of, and that they so obviously love their buns. Every time I see them, they ask how Maisie's doing. :) (They go to my daughter's school.)

gentle giants wrote:
What I do, not just at Easter but all year 'round, is make a vocal aggreement with the person buying the rabbit that if for any reason they should have to give it up, it comes back to me. I also tend to question people as to why they want a rabbit before they buy it. I also make sure I am available to answer any q's they might have about rabbit care, and even provide books if they want.
I have never sold one to anyone except people looking for pets. I would be willing to sell to someone who wanted to breed, so long as I felt satisfied that they had previous experience with rabbits and had a plan for finding homes for their offspring.
I usually wind up talking to potential buyers quite a bit, which makes me feel better because I feel like I get to know them somewhat.

Easter and rabbits is a difficultthing. I got my some of first rabbits cheap in late fallbecause rabbitries are "thinning the herd" during that time to getready for winter.

Is that any better?

It stands to reason that someone who reallywants a rabbit will want one whether its Easter or not, therefore,refusing to sell or adopt rabbits during Easter (or any other holiday)shouldn't deter potentially good rabbit owners from getting a rabbit.It should, however, deter the bad ones.

Obviously, there are other methods of screening your customers if youare a breeder; I personally think the waiting period thing that wasmentioned earlier was a very good idea.

A waiting period could be very inconvenient forrural folks. I've driven over 100 miles to get a newrabbit. I've had people drive over 100 miles to buyrabbits.

Imagine how I would feel if the breeder told me to come back in 4 weeks.

Has anyone here read BLINK? Sometimes you have to trust yourinstincts. I turned down lots of potential bunny buyers overthe last month because of my first impressions. However, whenyou find one that is THE ONE, you just know it.

bojay wrote:
A waiting period could be very inconvenient for rural folks.I've driven over 100 miles to get a new rabbit. I've had people driveover 100 miles to buy rabbits.

I totally agree. I don't think I have ever sold a rabbit that the buyercame from less than two hours away. Besides, pretty much all of myrabbits have been sold to people who have seen my name online, and Iemail/talk to them on the phone for several days before they/we decidewhat they are looking for in a pet and when we could get together, allthose details.

bojay wrote:
Awaiting period could be very inconvenient for rural folks.I've driven over 100 miles to get a new rabbit. I've hadpeople drive over 100 miles to buy rabbits.

Imagine how I would feel if the breeder told me to come back in 4 weeks.

Has anyone here read BLINK? Sometimes you have to trust yourinstincts. I turned down lots of potential bunny buyers overthe last month because of my first impressions. However, whenyou find one that is THE ONE, you just know it.

What is blink??

Oh ok I was going to assume it was a book but just in case! LOL

thanks

Back