Rabbits Aren't Disposable Easter Presents!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnydude

Reaction score
As Easter fast approaches, you may know ofpeople who want to buy a rabbit as an Easter present for theirchildren. They think that they would make great childrens' pets, butthey don't realize the commitment a rabbit takes. Please remindeveryone you meet that "Easter and Bunnies Don't Mix"(Source).

For more information, please visit the House Rabbit Society's Easter page:
http://www.rabbit.org/easter/

:happybunny::happyrabbit::mrsthumper:

This is the worst time for all those bunnies outthere,you can go into any pet shop and you will find so many bunniesfor easter,and i just look at the poor things and think to myself'where is your fate heading to"i just feel so sad just thinking aboutit.

You know,sometimes i feel like standing at the front of these pet shopswith a big sign that says "think before you buy a bunny,a bunny isforever,not just for easter"

Last year when i bought my bunny Strawberry in late march,the lady saidthat i should wait because they were getting in some new bunnies foreaster,i said "no thankyou" and went home with Strawberry

cheryl

I was in a big pet store recently andI did notice that they had gotten in a lot more bunnies than usual,obviously to try to sell for easter and I was disgusted that they woulddo this. You are not allowed to sell cats or dogs in petshops in this country, I think it should be like that for allpets and you should only get from a breeder who can tell you what willbe required and decide if you are a suitable home ornot. I know that some dog breeders will refuse tohave puppies ready around christmas so rabbit breeders could do thesame around easter.

There is a good store out here (canada) Thatthey take all the rabbits of the shelves a week before easter that waypeople dont buy them as easter gifts I really want to support thatstore and just in case you want to know its called pest west

man...i wish people werent like that... i alsowish that we werent allowed to sell dogs and cats in ourpetstores..but, sadly they do sell all kinds of animals no questionsasked:X

Wow, that is great of them, it would be nice if all of the petshops does that

lov2hop wrote:
There is a good store outhere (canada) That they take all the rabbits of the shelves a weekbefore easter that way people dont buy them as easter gifts I reallywant to support that store and just in case you want to know its calledpest west

redestarrosa wrote:
Wow, that is great of them, it would be nice if all ofthe petshops does that

lov2hop wrote:
There is a good store outhere (canada) That they take all the rabbits of the shelves a weekbefore easter that way people dont buy them as easter gifts I reallywant to support that store and just in case you want to know its calledpest west
really! thats a great store i guess...oursdont even care...give them 20 bucks and the bunny's yours:bigtears::no:

I get really po'd about things like that too.There is a breeder in my area that apparently has a ton of rabbits, shehas a vocal contract with every pet shop in about 80 miles to only buyher rabbits. They are all cute mutts. She obviously breeds constantlyto supply all these pet shops, and I really wonder what conditions theparents of all these kits are living in. I wish I knew where sheactually lives, I would love to show interest in buying a bunny, justto get in there and look.
It just makes me so angry, she obviously is only in it for the money.

There's someone like that here, too. Ithink it's the same breeder that Fey and Sprite came from.How many rabbit breeders can there be in an unincorporated backwoodstown that supply petstores and focus on dwarf breeds?

lov2hop wrote:
There is a good store out here (canada) That they take allthe rabbits of the shelves a week before easter that way people dontbuy them as easter gifts I really want to support that store and justin case you want to know its called pest west
LOL! I know its a typo, but with MY crew, Pest West is accurate!

Are you in Victoria? The Pets West there is the best petstore I've ever been in in my life! Not sure about bunnies,but they have adoptablerescue cats and kittens, so that'sprobably the case.

They're very knowledgeable, they've got everything you'd ever need fora bunny (or they'll get it for you) and their prices are so much morereasonable that the place I'm stuck with. :(

Really would like to see them move to Vancouver.

Maybe everybody should write to them and let them know we'll support anexpansion, andpeople not from this area can write their localstores and tell them how much we like what Pets West isdoing. :)

http://www.petswest.ca/aboutus.htm

Pipp wrote:
lov2hop wrote:
There is agood store out here (canada) That they take all the rabbits of theshelves a week before easter that way people dont buy them as eastergifts I really want to support that store and just in case you want toknow its called pest west
LOL! I know its a typo, but with MY crew, Pest West is accurate!

Are you in Victoria? The Pets West there is the best petstore I've ever been in in my life! Not sure about bunnies,but they have adoptablerescue cats and kittens, so that'sprobably the case.

They're very knowledgeable, they've got everything you'd ever need fora bunny (or they'll get it for you) and their prices are so much morereasonable that the place I'm stuck with. :(

Really would like to see them move to Vancouver.

Maybe everybody should write to them and let them know we'll support anexpansion, andpeople not from this area can write their localstores and tell them how much we like what Pets West isdoing. :)

http://www.petswest.ca/aboutus.htm

Sorry I Dont understand what you mean by a typo When I said "Of theshelves?" But yesI am in Victoria, I Have a friend from mychurch that works there soI get to talk to her about it, AndI am sure they try and find out as much about all the animals that theycan

Hey Pip go there and get me that cuuuuuuuuuuuuuuute guinea pig they got for 25 bucks.

They look like a very nice store and got sites as well. That is awesome.

If someone'sJUST deciding to get arabbit JUSTbecause it's easter, they should get smacked. Buya chocolate rabbit for godness sakes!

I don't shop at petstores that sell rabbits. I feel sorry for them..like 5 in a tiny open glass cage with no where to hide. It makes mewant to go out and rescue the poor things but I'm already crowded as is!

I feel bad for the bunnies.. probably 75% of them will get neglected,abandoned or just got rid of because of the whole "Easter bunny" thing.

:cry1

Spring wrote:
Idon't shop at petstores that sell rabbits. I feel sorry for them.. like5 in a tiny open glass cage with no where to hide. It makes me want togo out and rescue the poor things but I'm already crowded as is!
i know petstores are aweful..i usually dont get anything fromthem unless theyre kept properly... the one we got peapoo at wasbad..she was in a tiny little cage by herself with pellets and a dirtywater bowl...sad... wehad to goback to get her

I agree totally. Easter is a very specialholiday and it is centered around little bunnies and chicks and thingsof that nature. So when i advertised my six bunnies I put in theadvertisement that if the kids or parents grew tired or bored with thebunnies they could return them to me no strings attached

I hope that they will take me seriously and if they need return the bunnies to me.

If I was breeding bunnies, or any kind ofanimals I would not sell them or adopt them out during Easter,Christmas, and Valetines day. When people get holidays like that theyall get tossed around a few days afterwards. Including dogs and cats.

Sad that society puts so little emphasis onlives than on fun. My guy is a direct result of not caring by aprevious owner. He's in his forever home with me now. :)

:bunnydance:

SweetPeasMommie wrote:
If I was breeding bunnies, or any kind of animals I wouldnot sell them or adopt them out during Easter, Christmas, and Valetinesday. When people get holidays like that they all get tossed around afew days afterwards. Including dogs and cats.
ditto

peapoo_bunny wrote:
SweetPeasMommie wrote:
If Iwas breeding bunnies, or any kind of animals I would not sell them oradopt them out during Easter, Christmas, and Valetines day. When peopleget holidays like that they all get tossed around a few daysafterwards. Including dogs and cats.
ditto
I do breed rabbits, however I do not supply any pet stores... ifsomeone is interested in a pet bunny from me (at ANY time of the year),they must first go through an initial interview of sorts - whichincludes a visit to my rabbitry to not only see the available bunnies,but also to see and hold the Adults... I do not let them hold thebabies as anyone can fall in love with a baby animal, but it takessomeone special to hold an adult and fall in love with IT before thebabies. They ask any questions they may have at that time andthen there is a minimum of a 4 week waiting period before they're ableto take home the bunny of their choice. The reason I havethis waiting period established is to weed out the impulse buyers (andholiday shoppers) and give the new owner plenty of time to prepare fortheir new bunny's arrival to their home. I also have alifetime standing agreement for the return of the rabbit if thingsdon't work out or they are no longer able to keep it.

This has always been my policy and it does not change byseason. Sometimes I wish other breeders took selling petsmore seriously, but I feel comforted that at least my rabbits will bewell cared for and there's less potential for them winding up returnedor in shelters / rescues.

~Sunshine

Back