Rabbits and wild mice

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbaxter

Reaction score
I am preparing our shed for the bunnies winter housing,but we have mice that get in there for the bird food they eat the peanuts on top of the hutch,should i close their entrance a small gap where the door does`nt shut tight but is bolted at the top! Should i be worried about this?Kinda have a soft spot for the mice too :biggrin: Thanks

I think you should..if not worried about health problems, I have seen rabbits attack mice/rats.

I heard it is rare, but I am not sure. My rabbit seems passive of my mice (They are not allowed near, but during playtime my rabbit can see them in the playpen)

But overall, I would be concern of carried health problems.

Thank you for being concerned about the mice too:biggrin:!

I'd definitely find a way to keep the little meecers out of the shed, as you don't want them getting into food bins & peeing all over the food (it could mold). They aren't there to hurt anyone, as you know, they are just there to eat some yummy food!

I woulnd't be concerned about them spreading "disease" (some people think mice/rats are totally disease ridden animals)....but I would be concerned about the bunnies being afraid of scurrying mice. Back when my pet rats were younger & used to run all over the room in the bunny room, my Holland Lop was terrified of the rats (well, they were huge boys, lol)!

I didn't mean to say rats/mice all carry disease, but it IS a risk..for all wild animals..and it may not be contagious to us, but it might be to the rabbits or even the mice. ;)

Pasturella from a rabbit can easily spread to vunurable species, and if let in the wild can cause problems.

Or the mouse could be carrying a mite or lice..I am not saying all do, or that it is normal, but it could happen..or even vice versa!

Another thing you could do is put some food out for the mice so they don't go tampering in the shed, lol.

Latest posts

Back