Rabbits and wild mice

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbaxter

Reaction score
I am preparing our shed for the bunnies winter housing,but we have mice that get in there for the bird food they eat the peanuts on top of the hutch,should i close their entrance a small gap where the door does`nt shut tight but is bolted at the top! Should i be worried about this?Kinda have a soft spot for the mice too :biggrin: Thanks

I think you should..if not worried about health problems, I have seen rabbits attack mice/rats.

I heard it is rare, but I am not sure. My rabbit seems passive of my mice (They are not allowed near, but during playtime my rabbit can see them in the playpen)

But overall, I would be concern of carried health problems.

Thank you for being concerned about the mice too:biggrin:!

I'd definitely find a way to keep the little meecers out of the shed, as you don't want them getting into food bins & peeing all over the food (it could mold). They aren't there to hurt anyone, as you know, they are just there to eat some yummy food!

I woulnd't be concerned about them spreading "disease" (some people think mice/rats are totally disease ridden animals)....but I would be concerned about the bunnies being afraid of scurrying mice. Back when my pet rats were younger & used to run all over the room in the bunny room, my Holland Lop was terrified of the rats (well, they were huge boys, lol)!

I didn't mean to say rats/mice all carry disease, but it IS a risk..for all wild animals..and it may not be contagious to us, but it might be to the rabbits or even the mice. ;)

Pasturella from a rabbit can easily spread to vunurable species, and if let in the wild can cause problems.

Or the mouse could be carrying a mite or lice..I am not saying all do, or that it is normal, but it could happen..or even vice versa!

Latest posts

Back