RABBITS AND WATER...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cyara

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I have been trying to learn as much as possible about rabbits before I get my own French Angoras. By accident I saw these videos on You Tube and wondered if anyone had experience with this? Do they really love water as this shows? It would be a marvellous way to keep them cool in our very hot summers.... give them a shallow pool to float in or a little waterfall to play with. What you think?

Here are the videos I saw:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYC94rQzaIA&feature=related]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYC94rQzaIA&feature=related[/ame]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAzmCEC3xQA&feature=related]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAzmCEC3xQA&feature=related[/ame]

So adorable.... can't wait to get mine. :)

Chelle

my bunns love the watter but dont just put yuor bunn in a pool you will need to put them in a bath tub with just a little bit of watter first theay can be like dogs eather theay like it or theay dont. dont force your bunn to like ti if theay dont:shock:when are you getting your bunn?

Water usually makes buns really stressed out. I wouldn't reccomend it...

Also if you do decided to get one make sure the bun doesnt get in a draught while he's wet so he doesn't catch a chill and make sure he gets dried and warmed up properly afterwards.

Toby *kind of* likes water. If he needs a butt bath, I normally just fill the tub with about 1" of water at the deepest point and let him run around in it. He likes to kick the water around. I don't know what to think about the bunny in the pool thing. I would think that it is very dangerous for the bun. I know they have air trapped in their undercoat, thus helping them float, but what if they get completely wet? They can get chills, etc. Also, I'm guessing that there is chlorine in the pool. I know what chlorine does to my skin, but what about a rabbit's delicate skin? The poor thing looks terrified in the video. :(

Like I said though, some rabbits DO like water, in small quantities, that is. :)

As many people have said SOME bunnies like water, fluff likes sitting in the shower with warm water showering him. Personally I don't think that "Baxter" is actually enjoying himself I think he looks petrified and that his owners think he is enjoying himself because he's not reacting or struggling etc but that actually he's so scared he's to afraid to react to being in the water and he's playing "dead". As Kherrmann said i'd be worried about the chemicals etc in the water. Also you said giving them a waterfall or pool to float in so I'd be worried if they caught a chill or couldn't dry their fur in time before it gets dark and become sick. You never know but your Angoras may like water but you shouldn't leave a pool or waterfall in their house over night. :)

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the replies. :)

Thought that mostly the response would be negetive. I also suspected they could not be happy until I saw the grey rabbit in the bath under the tap ...... so decided to ask here what people had experienced.

Saw this one later in the day...... [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Qo-BHyD9d8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Qo-BHyD9d8[/ame] There is no way "Apple" hates it. Else a very clever con. What would be the point?

It probably depends on the rabbit. I am not going to rule it out. If I have a rabbit that loves water I will find a way to let it play. Not the swimming pool though. But a very shallow splash-about might be a lot of fun in the heat of the day. Something that can be easily filled and emptied to keep it fresh when needed. Our summers are very hot. It is more a worry in keeping the rabbits cool enough than them catching a chill. I do know they are susceptible to draughts. And a wet rabbit in a draught is neligence. I have no intention of forcing anything. They like it or they don't.

They are a lot more intelligent than people think and have a great need to play. It breaks my heart to see rabbits in tiny little hutches with nothing to do but sit. They become so dull-witted out of sheer boredom. What peculiar torture can be inflicted on animals we proclaim to love. Like cats....... people say they are not loving. Never had an unloving cat in my life. Get them as kittens and you will have a wonderfully loving pet. My cat follows me everywhere; even outside and up the hill to the fish.... much complaining of course!.... but still comes with. :)

I did own a little grey rabbit once. Absolutely adored him. I want lots of happy rabbits this time in a well adapted communal environment. Will have to keep the males and females separate - I have read - to stop territorial fights. I want to farm them for their wool but like everything else believe it needs be integrated with intelligent concern as to the welfare of the rabbits.

I am close to building this now - so hopefully not too long till I get them. Started collecting bits and pieces. Just learning all I can for now. Still busy building a worm farm out of rocks and cement - so will have to come after that. Hard work!

Chelle

That rabbit in the video obviously was forced to stay in that tub. See how he tried hopping out? The only reason he ended up under the tap was because he slipped back in (extremely dangerous!) and found that the water maybe "helped" him to wash himself or something.

I've given my rabbits bathes before and realized I shouldn't unless absolutely needed and so now I only will do it when absolutely needed. When my bunnies need butt-baths, I just bathe their bottoms and nothing else.

My bunnies aren't exactly afraid of water, but they don't really like it. They will sit up in it and want to be picked up and all.

Emily

That rabbit, Apple, does not seem to be too afraid of water. But, if you look closely, Apple is being nudged into the water. They aren't throwing/pushing her, just nudging her in. Just because a rabbit swims, it doesn't mean the necessarily like it. Apple does not seem to mind it, though.

As far as the nudging Apple into the pool, I am not necessarily saying it is wrong for that rabbit. I had a dog that LOVED to go down slides at a park. She would not go up the stairs or down the slide by herself, she would need a little nudge (not pushing her down). After she would go down the slide, she would wait at the bottom of the stairs to go back up, tail wagging and all. If Apple the rabbit didn't like swimming (or at least tolerate the water), it wouldn't go back near the pool.

Any animal can swim if forced. I accidentally found out dwarf hamster can swim. I was giving him a butt-bath over a 1/4-filled sink and he plopped in. His little feet could still reach on the sides, but since he fell in the middle, he had to paddle to the sides. It is a survival instinct, and most (if not all) animals can do it. If I throw my boyfriend into a pool, he would be able to swim to the sides (he's not a strong swimmer).

My bun, Toby, will not play in water if it is offered to him in a dish, mini-pool, etc. He will play in it if I put him in the water. He mostly just flicks his feet around in the water and hops, I may be misinterpreting what he is doing, though. He is never mad at me when he's in the tub, though. I've caught him trying to climb in while I am taking a bath.

My advice if you have a rabbit that likes water, get a shallow pool (maybe even a tiny kid's pool) and fill it with an inch or two of clean water. Let them play in that. As far as letting them be completely soaked, I would steer away from it. :) Just letting them get their feet wet is as far as I would go!

My flemie, Ludo, loves the water. He started out running over to the bowl while I was filling it and putting his head under the stream. He'd get SO excited when he'd see me coming with the water jug. Then he started sitting in his water pan.

BlueSkyAcresRabbitry wrote:
That rabbit in the video obviously was forced to stay in that tub. See how he tried hopping out? The only reason he ended up under the tap was because he slipped back in (extremely dangerous!)

Yes, but he made no attempt to move away from the water. Sometimes in the summer when the temp. is high I let casper have a shower (he is free to move out of it if he wants since its a shower cubicle and he can get away from the water completely) and without using shampoo/soap not really any harm done to the fur (I am sure somebody said this on YouTube?).

PepnFluff wrote:
As many people have said SOME bunnies like water, fluff likes sitting in the shower with warm water showering him. Personally I don't think that "Baxter" is actually enjoying himself I think he looks petrified and that his owners think he is enjoying himself because he's not reacting or struggling etc but that actually he's so scared he's to afraid to react to being in the water and he's playing "dead".
Hi there, I watched the video of Baxter again and just cannot see what you see. He is completely relaxed and even when her hand comes near him he is not indicating a desperate and terrified need to grab at it and exit the pool. Even his ears and eyes indicate his relaxed state. The voice is young and the way she speaks so confidently of his love to swim also encourages me to believe her. Don't think it is a set-up. I understand your concern that people could just force an animal to show-off. Perhaps consider that some just want to give something extra and special to their animals.

Glad to hear of some rabbits that like it.... even love it!:) Was all I really wanted to know. I had never heard of this before. Thanks.

Going to give the opportunity to mine when it is hot and see if it attracts them. Easy way to keep cool in this heat. We are in summer now. If it doesn't, then it doesn't. Just real interesting. :)

Cyara wrote:
PepnFluff wrote:
As many people have said SOME bunnies like water, fluff likes sitting in the shower with warm water showering him. Personally I don't think that "Baxter" is actually enjoying himself I think he looks petrified and that his owners think he is enjoying himself because he's not reacting or struggling etc but that actually he's so scared he's to afraid to react to being in the water and he's playing "dead".
Hi there, I watched the video of Baxter again and just cannot see what you see. He is completely relaxed and even when her hand comes near him he is not indicating a desperate and terrified need to grab at it and exit the pool. Even his ears and eyes indicate his relaxed state. The voice is young and the way she speaks so confidently of his love to swim also encourages me to believe her. Don't think it is a set-up. I understand your concern that people could just force an animal to show-off. Perhaps consider that some just want to give something extra and special to their animals.

I can see it. If you have ever watched a rabbit in the middle of an open feild without cover and a predator darting after it you would probably see - they pretty much just freeze and sit there waiting.

Hehe BSAR it is lol he flops out in the curve of the base of the shower where the spray ricoshades off the wall onto him:p He HATES sprinklers thought??? Queer bunny hehe.

While I don't deny the existence of rabbits that like water, I don't think those videos are good representations of a bunny enjoying water. :? I would like to see a rabbit seeking out water to play/swim in itself. Just my opinion.

Happi Bun wrote:
While I don't deny the existence of rabbits that like water, I don't think those videos are good representations of a bunny enjoying water. :? I would like to see a rabbit seeking out water to play/swim in itself. Just my opinion.

The rabbit walks up to and jumps into the water itself on this video [ame]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=3Qo-BHyD9d8[/ame]

Luv-bunniz wrote:
The rabbit walks up to and jumps into the water itself on this video http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=3Qo-BHyD9d8
If you watch that video very carefully, you can see Apple's owner nudging her into the water. In the second "jump" into the water, you can't see Apple's left shoulder. I think her owner gave her (I'm assuming it's a her, I don't know why) another nudge. Just watch it carefully. You can definitely see the hand nudge her into the pool the first time. The second time, it would be blocked from view.

That's just my opinion on that video (Apple doesn't seem to mind, but I don't think she's swimming by her own free will. She may like it, but mom or dad has to get her going in order for her to swim).

kherrmann3 wrote:
Luv-bunniz wrote:
The rabbit walks up to and jumps into the water itself on this video http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=3Qo-BHyD9d8
If you watch that video very carefully, you can see Apple's owner nudging her into the water.  In the second "jump" into the water, you can't see Apple's left shoulder.  I think her owner gave her (I'm assuming it's a her, I don't know why) another nudge.  Just watch it carefully.  You can definitely see the hand nudge her into the pool the first time.  The second time, it would be blocked from view.

That's just my opinion on that video (Apple doesn't seem to mind, but I don't think she's swimming by her own free will.  She may like it, but mom or dad has to get her going in order for her to swim).

Actually, watch the owners arm the first time around. She had her hand on the side of the pool because she just jumped into the water - way before Apple jumped in. She pulled her arm away just because the rabbit jumped into the water. Maybe they did give her a nudge on the second but either way the rabbit dosent seem to stressed. :)

I have to be honest. Those videos make me sad :( Poor bunnies.

I would love to see buns jumping in by choice and choosing, but neither of those seemed to be by choice.

Latest posts

Back