Rabbits and temperatures

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heynow727

Reaction score
Crabtree and Evelyn live outside for the most part. Living in Los Angeles it does not get very cold but sometimes I still was concerned about their well-being in the winter time. At the most I would say it gets down to the low 50's here. I'm sure the fur helps and they are well protected from elements. They have a hutch and another covered area with some blankets so they dont get bothered by the wind and they seem comfortable, just wondering if anybody has an idea of rabbits tolerance for cold.

On the flip side Crabtree loves to sit out in the sun during the late afternoon hours. Like directly in the sunlight. I know excessive heat can be bad for them, does he realize this? He'll lay there for like 90 minutes just getting his tan on.

IMG_0348.jpg

IMG_0347.jpg

IMG_0352.jpg

Rabbits actually fair better with cold than heat. Low 50s should be fine, I know a neighbour of mine has a rabbit kept outside in winter here and it can get VERY cold here. And I do mean VERY cold.

As far as heat, I think if he's uncomfortable he would move. He obviously has places to hide from the sun, and chooses not to. Just make sure he has plenty of water at all times and I don't see why him getting his sun on would be a problem.

You could check his ears for sunburn though, if he starts getting burned then that's a whole other story.

I'd say you're fine. My parents have rabbits that live outside year round and here the temps can drop into the teens in the winter and can rise to over 100 in the summer. In the winter they are protected from the wind, in the summer, they get frozen water bottles.

Many people keep outside bunnies. I don't think your bunnies will have any problems with the cold or heat. Like it was said before, if your bunny gets hot he will move to a place with more shade.

Frozen bottles are great to help relieve bunnies from the heat. And the blankets along with extra hay to snuggle in helps with the cold.

K:)

Latest posts

Back