Rabbits and sand?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saudade

Reaction score
Does anyone here have rabbits that enjoy sand bathing? I know it helps to keep chinchilla's fur clean, and I know rabbits have dust baths but do they ever do any sand bathing?

I'm thinking of introducing lucy once a month to a sand bath or something of the like.

sand bathing,wow,never thought of it,but i think i would serile sand,,sounds like fun for the rabbit,if they like it,.let me know,maybe i will add this feature in my facility,..sincerely james waller-thank you

I've never tried it, but I've definitely heard of members here putting sand in a large rubbermaid tub for their bunnies. I don't know if they actually bathe themselves with it, but I do know that they love to dig in it! It's just like how some members put snow in bins for their buns during the winter so that they can play in the snow without having to go outside and getting too cold.

Kathy :)

I don't think they actually take sand baths, but they do seem to enjoy digging in it.
Even Hazel, who usually does not like going out, seemed to enjoy digging in the little "beach" when we went camping last week.
White Chocolate always LOVED digging in the dirt and sand.

I used it with mine and they loved it. They really liked to dig in it and plop over and everything. You just have to get coarse sand like you would find at a beach so that it doesnt create a lot of dust.

I never knew rabbits had dust baths. I don't think that's safe for them? Only for Chinchillas?

They would probably enjoy digging in it.

I know Magic would love digging in sand. He digs up holes in our yard all the time, so sand would probably be super fun! He would probably do great as a beach-bunny. lol.

Emily

BlueSkyAcresRabbitry wrote:
I never knew rabbits had dust baths. I don't think that's safe for them? Only for Chinchillas?

They would probably enjoy digging in it.

I know Magic would love digging in sand. He digs up holes in our yard all the time, so sand would probably be super fun! He would probably do great as a beach-bunny. lol.

Emily
Yeh, about that, if you've ever seen a rabbit in the wild they'll find the dustiest patch and roll around all in it. It's perfectly fine for them.

Is there a good way to set up a sandbox so that it didn't make a huge mess?
I think Amelia would love this! She used to dig in her litterbox all the time, until I got one with a grate on it because I was tired of cleaning dirty litter off the floor twice a day.

I would love to make a sandbox for them, but don't want to be constantly cleaning up sand. Any suggestions? Pictures?

I read somewhere on here that someone used a covered cat litter box and put sand in it... I wonder how that would work, I've been planning to do that myself for my little diggernut...

Something with moderately high sides should work. Or something that lips and curves over inwards to catch it.

Underbed storage boxes might work well, but I guess really it depends on your rabbits and how enthusiastically they dig.

Flashy wrote:
Something with moderately high sides should work. Or something that lips and curves over inwards to catch it.

Underbed storage boxes might work well, but I guess really it depends on your rabbits and how enthusiastically they dig.

LOL! Amelia weighs 6.5 lbs, and she used to have an underbed storage box as her litterbox. She'd toss dirty litter out behind her when she was digging, it would go everywhere.

A covered catbox might work, though.....

Funny you mention it... I was considering it for a litterbox, in case it might help with allergies. Not to change the topic, but do you think it would absorb urine well? And can we get bunnies to use a close cat litterbox?

I don't know about closed litterboxes

but if a person was going to have a sand box would have to be a sterile sand like for a sandbox for kids because if you just hauled in a bunch of sand from a beach etc you are bringing in sand fleas, mites and God knows what else ........

Hehe I agree, would buy the sandbox kind. I remember, when I was young, we had a sandbox, but it really became a huge litterbox for neighborhood cats until my parents covered it. I think bunnies would love digging in it. That would not be so fun to clean :pSo yeah if you want to let buns play in it, you should use something quite deep I think :)

BethM wrote:
Flashy wrote:

LOL!  Amelia weighs 6.5 lbs, and she used to have an underbed storage box as her litterbox.   She'd toss dirty litter out behind her when she was digging, it would go everywhere.

A covered catbox might work, though.....

I had a jumbo litterbox for my rabbit and as soon as he was done using it instead of digging all the litter out he would jump out of the box and flip the entire thing over and then run away. Everytime he'd use his litterbox I'd have to clean all of the dirtied litter off the floor. It was a mess!! His litterbox is now nailed to the floor :)

I've never gotten a sandbox for Nibbles. I bet he would love it though! He digs in his new litter box all of the time, and I had to put a piece of cardboard under it so I don't have to vaccum it up every day. I have chinchilla sand bath for my hamster, and it seems like he doesn't like it. :p

By the way, where can you buy sand and how much would it cost? After reading some other threads too, I've become inspired and I want to find an old kiddy pool or a storage bin and fill it up with sand for Nibbles!

Back