rabbits and guinea pigs

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rabbits and guinea pigs used to be kept together a lot, but it is not recommended anymore. Rabbits have been known to accidently hurt their piggy friends by kicking them when they spook or mounting them, which neutered rabbits will still do as a sign of dominance. They also need different diets and act different socially. Guinea pigs don't cuddle or groom as much as rabbits do.

http://www.cavycages.com/rabbits.htm

i agree with everyone else,i personally would not put them together.when my bunny lollipop was alive i also had pet guinea pigs and little "miss" lollipop bit a hole in little bears ear(the guinea pig)she just didnt like them,i dont think they were up to her standards:rollseyes:.

my sister also has two guinea pigs and two bunnies,Peter and Snowy and one of the guinea pigs absolutely loves Peter but peter doesnt love cookie the guinea pig:?.

cookie will come up to peter but peter just runs away thinking "hey im a boy bunny and i have a reputation to uphold"lol,and the funny thing is when peter runs away cookie goes looking for him and all you can see is this little guinea pig squeeking "peter,peter where are you"it is the most cutest thing i have ever seen:).

but i think it also depends on what kinds of personalities they both have towards each other,and guinea pigs like to hide under things and a bunny likes to snuggle,two different personalities.maybe if they grew up as babies together it may be different,but i just wouldnt put them together.

but....i have also read some heart warming stories about both of them being buddies,here in australia i read this lovely story about a lady who rescued an abandoned bunny and guinea pig,and they were very bonded,and when they went into the rescue,the people seperated them and the bunny would cry for his friend and the piggy would squeek for the bunny,and they were torn between seperating them or letting them be together,they just gave in and let them be together,i think it was just to hard to see them like that after what they had been through.this story really did touch me in every way possible.

but as they say,the strangest things do happen........

cheryl

*I had 2 female guinea pigs and 1 male Netherland dwarf together. They seemed to do well together, except when sticking your hand in the cage (territorial) and of course the cage was not as clean as it wouldbe if there were just rabbits in it. They were all unnuerterd and never saw the rabbit mount the pigs.

Latest posts

Back