Rabbits and Fleas

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmberNBuns

Reaction score
Does anyone have a recommendation for flea treatment for rabbits? I have not seen fleas on my boys, but we do have a dog, and when we got the rabbits, I stopped using flea treatments on my dog because I know that some are toxic to cats and rabbits (if they get on the sofa or rug, for example...)

I have seen one flea in our living room where our dog lives, and the rabbits are upstairs behind closed doors, but I am not denying that they are at risk.

Any suggestions?

Fleas usually prefer dogs & cats over bunnies.

If you observe fleas on the rabbits . . .

Rabbits do have the same skin sensitivity as cats, so most products forcats are considered safe for use on rabbits. I recommendkitten flea powder. Advantage and Program have been used onrabbits but Frontline and Sentinal are not considered safe for rabbits.

Pam

I was informed by a vets secretary (could verywell be wrong) that rabbit don't get fleas but they do get mites andtick. With mite they said that for $25.00 visit fee + thecost of meds they would put a couple of drops of a mite fluid behindthe ears and that would be the end of it. (She suggested notusing flea products because of a poison that the bunns may ingest.)Anyways when she said mites I took my bunn home and I already had thestop pecking spray for birds that another person suggested I use on thehamsters...because a hamster washes everything and definately ingestthis as well as birds ingest by pruning and it didn't harm any of them,I used this on my bunns and it worked great capachino's bald patch isall growing back and he doesn't scratch himself at all!

Fleas prefer cats and dogs, but on rare occasionsdo get fleas. I've seen 2 outdoor rabbits so badly infestedwith fleas that you could see the fleas crawling all over their faces.

Pam

Don't use Revolution!!!!!!!!!! It killed my boy Bunbun.

I believe a vet told me she'd had problems with Advantage also in rabbits--death through intestinal paralysis.

Alternative treatments include brewer's yeast and diatomaceous earth (but check that for safety, I'm not sure on that one).

I have used cat flea powder when absolutely necessary, but it givesthem flaky skin a little. Not bad though. I don't like to use it. Afterwhat happened to Bunbun I'm wary of all those pesticide products.

Rose

"Program" is considered one of the safest products to use. Avoid Frontline and Sentinal.

I've used Sevin Garden Dust for years without incident (can also beused for cats and dogs) -- however, I always advise consulting a vetbefore using any type of treatment as some animals are hyper-sensitiveto certain products.

Ivomec is widely used for treatment of fur mites and ear canker.

Pam N.

Latest posts

Back