Rabbits and dogs

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Boston Terrier and she is mean as heck, but she knows if she sets a paw on Bentley she'll get her butt kicked!! She is very nippy and snarly at me, but she doesn't care about Bentley, most of the time she just ignores the rabbit and walks away, but if she does even start getting a little riled up she knows if she hurts my baby she'll have to pay XD

It just depends on the dog. Honestly if you keep the rabbits foriegn to it, and then later as an adult it sees them... thats when more trouble starts.

I actually trust my cat around my birds and rabbits before my moms pom. And one of my rabbits on the backporch his cage sits on the ground and my cattle dog is right out there with him all day....and then I have 2 rabbits inside for now that sit on the floor in my room and they all 3 (cattle dog, pom, and rabbit) come in and snif noses with them and basically ignore them.

I'd introduce the pup to them... specially since a weiner dog is small anyway.

captioncontesttwentyninewinner.jpg

They could do it I trust my dog completly but they are still not left alone 100 percent of the time

I have two jack russel terriers, I know with a lot of people that immediately sets off alarm bells. Practically everyone thinks there is no way bunnies and that breed can get along. One of my dogs is totally fine with the rabbits and totally ignores them, the other younger one tries to chase them but they just ignore her or charge at her and she runs off.

irishbunny wrote:
I have two jack russel terriers, I know with a lot of people that immediately sets off alarm bells. Practically everyone thinks there is no way bunnies and that breed can get along. One of my dogs is totally fine with the rabbits and totally ignores them, the other younger one tries to chase them but they just ignore her or charge at her and she runs off.

That funny Phoenix my dog is A Jack Russel/Collie mix

Our old ridgeback, Cecil, was just wonderful with our other animals, and he would even let our bunny, Hiphop, sleep in his bed:
ry%3D400

We lost Cecil to cancer last year, though, and I don't trust our new ridgeback with Hiphop at all, though, even though she's been around him since she was a pup. Hiphop has had to go from being free-range back into a cage. (What color is Hiphop called, by the way? He's our first...)

My bunny and dog get along fine. He's never tried any aggressive move towards her, and I feel comfortable leaving them alone together for short periods of time (ie going to the bathroom, or getting the mail).

These pics were from when we first got Roxy and the dog/bunny relationship was equal. Now bunny thinks she's the boss of him and the dog lets her be alpha.

Bunny is a bit of a power-tripper, I think she gets pleasure from denying the poor dog. Sometimes she doesn't allow him on the couch with her, sometimes it's his dog bed. There was one day when she decided the water bowl was hers and he wasn't allowed to drink from it. If the dog tries to do any of these things she lunges and growls at him, and boxes his face. She is awesome, although most of my friends feel sorry for the dog.

pupnbun.jpg

hardday.jpg

I was just looking on here and found this forum about dogs and bunnies.I really enjoyed looking at all the pics! I have a yellow lab and my baby bun. I always hold the bunny, and my dog will come up to him and sniff him. The dog also licks the bunny's head and grooms him :) The bunny tolerates the big tongue over his head and eyes lol. When I let the bunny walk on the couch he tries to stretch out and sniff my dog. Now it seems like my dog doesn't really mind the bunny...He'll just glance and walk by. I would still be afraid if the bunny decided to run (he doesn't have free range) and if the dog's instincts kicked in to chase him.

My dog have always learned the smells of whatever pet I had, right down to the squirl I raised because my dog had kill her mom. Dogs know smells, they smells the rabbit on you they might not like it (got many glares from one dog) but if learder saids they are in, they are in. I had two bunnys growing up, one would sun himself with setter and the cocker both hunters. my female bunny did not care of the dogs when she was young once, the dog got to close and she took off. later on in the females life, she used to play tag with the puppy who was a wire fox terrer, and when she died the setter laided infrount of her cage to morn. as long as your in charge the dog deals, becuase its for the good of the pack, no matter how weird your pack might be.

Back