Rabbits and Dogs

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iamawesum69420

Reaction score
As a lot of you already know by now, I have alionhead rabbit that is almost a year old. Now I plan to geta small dog. It will be a small dog. My aunt'schihuaha (not sure if that's the correct spelling) just had puppies(they are mixed with something else, and we're not sure exactly whatbreed the father is) and they will be ready to to around Christmas soone of them is going to be my sort of Christmas present. Myquestion is, how well do rabbits and dogs get along? I willbe getting the puppy when it's very young (it will be a little over 8weeks old) I am thinking that since the puppy will basically grow upwith the rabbit, that they will get along pretty well.

I have two golden retrievers that basicallyignore the bunnies, actually Missy is afraid of the pen, but they don'thurt them. However, they are 10 years old.

Chi's are notorious for being rather aggressive, are you prepared todeal with that? A puppy is going to be active playful andteething. A high strung dog like that is much more likely tobe interested in the bunny.

Has the bunny ever been around dogs before? She might not like the idea at all.

Does the bunny have full roam of the house? Will the bunnyever be uncaged with the dog, in the same room with it, alone, withoutsupevision?

I would definately reccomend that you look into crate training as well.

It really depends so much on the personality of the rabbit and the dog.

Is your bunny scared, shy, timid? Does she frighten easily? If so, theyapping of a small dog will probably terrify her. Also, small dogs tendto be a lot more hyper (especially puppies) so this might also be aproblem.

You will need to just take it slow and have an area just for her wherethe puppy is not allowed, until you know for sure how she will react.She needs to feel safe in her home.

I know the HRS has some info on rabbits and dogs..let me find it ;)

Velma has been around dogs many times.My mom has three dogs, well actually one of them was mine until I leftfor college, and she isn't scared of them at all. Actually,my boxer/lab is actually scared of her.

Velma is free roam, but unless I am only stepping out for a little, shestays in her cage when I'm not home. After I get the dog,they will both be in their pens while I'm not home.

Golden's seem to be awesome with rabbits from what I've seen (surprising for a retrieving breed).

puppyrabbit25.jpg

That being said, there are still plenty of problems with dogs (anybreed -- especially puppies) and rabbits. Puppies are way too likely tobite when they are playing or attempt to hunt your rabbit. I wouldnever let a puppy near a rabbit to be honest. My sister had a Corgi mixpuppy that was constantly chasing the rabbits along the fence. Luckilymy bunnies thought it was fun to tease her and were not afraid.

I know Pet_Bunny is having issues with his puppy and Pebbles gettingalong, so it's something you really ahve to be prepared to deal with ifthey don't get along.

Thanks so much for the link. :)

I do have a back up plan, which is pretty much the same plan that I hadif I got another rabbit and they didn't get along. I have twobedrooms, although one is being used as a TV/entertainment room, whichboth have doors and Velma can free roam in one room while the dog isout, and when I take the dog for a walk, or at night when he is asleepin his kennel, Velma can have the rest of the house.

LOL, but if you didn't notice Mocha was a little... erm... too busy to jump on Maggie.;)

But yes, Maggie is very good with the bunnies. What you don't see inthe picture is Zoey in the far corner looking at Mocha like "are younuts! That's a dog, MOVE IT or LOSE IT!". And despite that, Maggie didnothing more than look at her.

MyBabyBunnies wrote:
I know Pet_Bunny is having issues with his puppy and Pebbles
Desmond is still a hyper puppy and a little rough on Pebbles.
It's alot of work training a puppyand we are going to ObedienceClass, but maybe everythingwill turn out fine.

If we didn'thave adog, I would havebrought home a second bunny fromthe Northlands2006 Farmfairon November 4.

Rainbows :lookaround

I have three dogs and they all run around likebest friends. Two dachshunds and a pomeranian. The pomeranian is verylaid back and just sleeps most of the time. The dachshunds are veryhyper and playful and they want to play with the rabbits. But therabbits don't care. They just ignore or hop away. I am an example ofvery lucky. Most dachshunds are full of the hunting instinct and wouldeat them in a heartbeat.

My dogs are both different withKahlua. Goldie (a golden retirever)is more um...active. She barks and wants to follow her every second sowhen kahlua is out, Goldie MUST be in her crate or in a shutbedroom. My lab, Tyson, on the other hand, LOVES Kahlua andlies next to her cage at night. He brings her toys and doesnttry to chase her (under supervision). He is also crated whenshe is out but just as a precaution, not beucase he has given usanything to worry about. however, i think it mayhave something to do with being raised with a rabbit as well.Goldie had never seen a bunny until I brought Kahlua home.Tyson on the hother hand, was a pup when Kahlua came home so he hasgrown up being used to having her around.

my dog protects the rabbits when thereplaying in the garden.
if any of the neighbours dogs come anywhere near the garden the dog chases them off:)

I have never met a bunny that got along with adog. It is possible, I have heard stories about them becoming bestfriends for life and all that, buti also have had heardpeople say that everything was fine and then the dog turned on therabbit and disaster.

You have to watch them carefully. A little dog is loud and will be highstrung and full of energy, this probably will scare the bunny, but youcan always try.

Good luck and I hope everything turns out well!

All depends on each individual rabbit and dog.Some may be fine with it others may not. I don't think it has anythingto do with rabbitbreedsor dog's breed.Mydogplays with my rabbits and vice versa. My moms Sandy (Chi)ignores the rabbits. Cici (cockashitpoo) lays down withthem,Brittany (peke) lays with them or ignoresthem. My flemish giant Samantha likes the dogs better than the rabbits.

Those are the dogs so you can see there size.

My dog

http://s98.photobucket.com/albums/l260/JzJade/Akasha/

Moms dogs

http://s98.photobucket.com/albums/l260/JzJade/Moms%20Dogs/

Thank you.

All depends on each individual rabbit anddog. Some may be fine with it others may not. I don't think it hasanything to do with rabbitbreedsor dog'sbreed.
I tend to agree with this. While some breeds may have a reputation forbeing aggressive, or untrustworthy with other animals, overall it isthe dog itself who will either be friendly towards a rabbit or not. Myrule of thumb tends to be not to trust any animals together until theyhave been well socialized with one another, and you can determinewhether or not they will get along.

My dog is a mixed breed of unknown heritage, although she looksidentical to a dingo and could (possibly) be an Australian Cattle dogmix. I cannot trust her at all with other cats, or squirrels, orrabbits...basically anything that moves outdoors. However, she doesunderstand the rules of the house...the other pets are not food, andshe is not allowed to touch them. She is absolutely trustworthy aroundthe rabbits when they are loose - either in the house or outdoors inthe backyard - and has been known to protect them fromintruders.She also has made friends with my two cats, andoften they will sleep next to one another. However, I do know my dog'slimitations. If there is food in her dish - a special treat, such ascanned food as opposed to dry, or a coveted pig's ear- I willnot allow the cats near her, as she will bite if they try tohelp themselves. And if my sister's dog is in the house (a sheltie mixwho will chase the cats if she sees them), I make sure the cats - andespecially the rabbits - are nowhere in sight. I learned quickly thatif Lassie sees one of the cats and chases it, Kaya joins in, and theplayful chase turns into a full attack asKaya's doggyinstincts kick in. So with Kaya, I trust her fully with both therabbits andthe cats, as long as there are no influences thatcould trigger her...as I mentioned, the presence of another dog, orenticing food. And with the last dog I owned, Misty...you couldn't gether to bite, chase, or otherwise attack anything no matter how hard youtried. She was the most docile dog I've ever seen...she even had astray cat attack her once, leaping on her back and clawing at the backof neck and head, and she did nothing to defend herself. She simplytried to outrun the cat, who - for whatever reason - was out to makemincemeat out of her.

As for rabbits, when I first got Anna (one of my rabbits), I wasstartled one day to see her on the futon where Kaya was stretched out.Only, Anna was not really sitting on the futon; she was perched on topof Kaya's back. Kaya was absolutely not amused, but she wouldnot touch Anna. And Anna, who was terrified of both my cats when I gother, held no fear of Kaya at all. Raph, my other rabbit, has no fear ofanything, and I'm not sure if he doesn't have the sense to be fearful,or he simply believes that he rules.

So with any animal, I believe it is all individual. You learn theirtolerances and their limits, and you work with them, respecting whatthey will and will not abide. Watch body language and take precautionswhenever introducing two animals of any species to one another. Andwhenever in doubt, be cautious, cautious, cautious, until - and evenafter - characters and tolerances are well established.

Latest posts

Back