Rabbit's age for show

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bo B Bunny

Reaction score
I know that there are ages for the rabbits: Jr., Intermediate and Senior.....

What if you don't know the exact age of a rabbit because you do not have one that is registered? What do you then do?

I'm worried only because Tony will fall into the gray area right at county fair next year. He could still be a junior.....

It depends on the breed. Mini-rex for example can be shown as juniors as soon

as they reach 2 lbs up until they are 6 months old as long as they don't go over

junior weight which is 3 3/4 lbs. If they are 6 months or older or are over the

junior weight limit they must be shown as a senior. You can bump up a younger

animal to senior classes if it goes over junioir weight as long as it doesn't go over

senior weight which is 4 1/4 lbs for a buck and 4 1/2 lbs for a doe.

The ARBAguidebook will list all of the requirements for every breed.

Another great reason to join the ARBA is to get the very helpful guidebook

and member directory free when you join. The standard of perfection is also

available through the ARBA.

Roger

I'm not quoting the ARBA Standard of Perfection- because that would be plagiarism.

But lets just say you had, for example, a Palomino buck that you wanted to show. I do like Palomino's, you know. ;)

This hypotheical rabbit, um... lets name him Tony. If Tony was between 4-8 pounds and under 6 months of age he could be shown as a junior. But if Tony was between 8-9 pounds, I'd show him as an intermediate if he was also between 6-8 months of age. But, say Tony was a big bunny. If he was over 8 months old he'd be shown as a senior, ideally around 9 pounds, but up to 10 pounds would be ok.

If you weren't sure of Tony's exact age and you think he's probably somewhere on the border between these groups- it is ok to put rabbits up a group, but not down. (So if he were 5 months, but 8.5 pounds, you could bump him up to anintermediate)But- if you really aren't sure- I'd show him in the age group his weight best fits.

Hope that helps a bit! :biggrin2:

If you're not exactly sure of his age, I'd show him in the catagory that his weight is closest to. That way, he'll be competing against rabbits of the same size and growth stage. And I think you'll have a better assessment of his type, based on his weight.

There are always "young 6/8's" or "older 6/8's" in a class, (and we know how much a rabbit can grow and change over 2 months) but he'll be close to the rest of the rabbits in the class. If his weight is a little shy, and you're not sure of his birth date, keep him as a Junior for one more show before you bump him up.

[align=center]:blueribbon:[/align]
[align=center](Good luck Tony!)[/align]

Aww Thanks!

We'll need to get the breed standardsince I know nothing really and it's not very available for Palominos at all online! Most of the sites for them have broken or something.

Since he's a meat breed, he should be judged on his body more than coat color, but his coat isn't fully even and I know that might be a problem. If he turns out a bad show bunny - he can be my puppy!!!! :biggrin2:Then I'll have to get ANOTHER show bunny for the kids. :cool:

clarzoo - you're so funny!!

Bo B Bunny wrote:
Aww Thanks!

We'll need to get the breed standardsince I know nothing really and it's not very available for Palominos at all online! Most of the sites for them have broken or something.

Reproducing the ARBA Standard is in violation of their copyright, so standards cannot be copied and put on-line.

Most certainly purchase a copy - worth every penny ;)

Pam

clarzoo wrote:
it is ok to put rabbits up a group, but not down. (So if he were 5 months, but 8.5 pounds, you could bump him up to anintermediate)

Remember that not all breeds allow "bump up". But, yes - Pals can be bumped up.

Pam

pamnock wrote:
clarzoo wrote:
it is ok to put rabbits up a group, but not down. (So if he were 5 months, but 8.5 pounds, you could bump him up to anintermediate)

Remember that not all breeds allow "bump up". But, yes - Pals can be bumped up.

Pam

Thanks again! I need to order that ARBA stuff. I know we'll have help with the rabbit club in 4H but I am so ...... well..... when we started horses and sheep we had people who got everything going for us - I am just nervous I'll miss a deadline or something I need and the kids will be so mad!

When you judge meat breeds like a pal - how important is it for their haircoat to be even in color? Tony has white going into his inner hip area. I'm not sure that's good for a pal :(

I know we can't get the standard online - but I can't even get a good palomino information site anywhere. usually there are tons of those! Tony just has to be difficult! LOL!

Meat type is most important in the Pals, color is the second most important consideration. Next comes fur - last is condition.

The color should be as even as possible, howeverlight surface colorat the stifle area is normal, especially in babies.

Pam

I recommend you join the ARBA if you are not already a member. Also, join the Palomino Co-Breeders Assoc. You will learn a lot about the breed and will meet other breeders.

Sharon

Also, since it's hard to judge from a picture, you won't really know how major a something like his fur color is until a judge gets his hands on him and compares him to the other rabbits.

So get out there and show, woman!:p

At the show I went to, the judges and breeders were more than happy to discuss their breeds and what to look for, what's bad/good in a particular rabbit, etc. Even if you don't think you're ready to show Tony yet you can go to a show without him so you can learn and meet people.

Starlight Rabbitry wrote:
I recommend you join the ARBA if you are not already a member. Also, join the Palomino Co-Breeders Assoc. You will learn a lot about the breed and will meet other breeders.

Sharon

I've tried to get on the co-breeders site and it doesn't seem to work!

We are going to join ARBA if I ever get my butt in gear...... maybe that's my project for the week!

Thanks!

and PAM thank you so much again. I sort of thought that was the way things fall - meat, color, coat, and condition.

I'm really starting to think about all this stuff - like again we have sheep and we have to excercise them for the meat show of it all.... of course our sheep become PETS! after they show.... :rollseyesand the sheep farmers all tease me about it.

The kids were like "We won't sell Tony to market will we?!?!?!" I said "NO!"

and Thanks Naturstee - the kids are excited about taking Tony - we just won't do state fair - no way! too hot, too crazy, too yuck!

I don't think one child in 4H had a Palomino at our fair. I'm sure that will put Tony in the "all other meat breeds" but still, it's fun!

Latest posts

Back